Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

*****http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/images/wanted_full.jpg******

BTW tracking numbers have The Dark Knight on a similar opening pace as The Avengers. (just a smidge under) The Avengers blew away its expected opening so you have to take it with a grain since no one really knows how they calculate the tracking numbers. I am pretty sure they dont include IMAX and 3D (3D was huge for The Avengers and IMAX is Nolans big thing) or the month long presale The Dark Knight has been doing so it should be interesting to watch.

edit: I like that recent trailers have pretty much confirmed that Bane breaks the Bat. Bane was awesome because he figured out who Batman was and used that to find him and destroy him. If Nolan does that right it could be epic
    Last edited by Handyman; 07-01-2012, 12:12 PM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Saw Brave today over Ted, wasn't the best that Pixar has done but it's well worth the watch. What it does good is great while the rest is just above mediocre.

But right now the second Matrix movie is on and the scene where Smith takes over the human guy just finished. And I stopped to actually think about it, never a good idea for one of these movies, and realized that some operator actually saw that happen then ported him out, and said NOTHING. There has to be a deleted scene somewhere of this guy drooling all over himself.

Comment

Ted. It was great. Took my girlfriend and her mother. Even my girlfriend's straight-edged mother loved it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Foxton View Post
          But right now the second Matrix movie is on and the scene where Smith takes over the human guy just finished. And I stopped to actually think about it, never a good idea for one of these movies, and realized that some operator actually saw that happen then ported him out, and said NOTHING. There has to be a deleted scene somewhere of this guy drooling all over himself.
          Interesting observation.

But you're still assuming that the operator saw it happen, as opposed to looking at whatever the other linked people were doing.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I've heard Ted was great for the first 30-45 minutes and then a snooze for the rest.

Comment

Anyone seen Project X? I'm curious about it and might hit up redbox this week to get it. But if it's not worth it I'm perfectly happy taking a nap instead. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                I've heard Ted was great for the first 30-45 minutes and then a snooze for the rest.
                Actually, I'd say the reverse of that, the first half hour to me felt like McFarlane was just taking advantage of being able to be "uncensored" with the language; but during that time he sets up the rest of the movie well. I think the "downhill" part is where it evolves into a romantic comedy. It's filled with McFarlanes typical one liner jokes and social commentary.

Hilarious. And I want to see it again.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Pop culture reference, vulgarity, epithet, rinse, repeat. Eventually throw in blunt political/societal "commentary" with all the grace and subtlety of a cat in a swimming pool. And so goes another entry in the Seth MacFarlane comedy writing manual.

My Redbox this weekend:

Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Solid, cracking blockbuster. Very interesting set pieces, and a lot of fun to watch. Had a little bit of a "let's go to this place and have an action scene" type of narrative, but you can't really blame that on the screenwriters... I mean, they were writing for a movie that has way too many colons in the title.

Contagion. Very interesting movie. I thought it was interesting how well it weaved technical details into the whole thing. Like all films with a panoramic narrative, some characters are a little thin (by design), but it moves along a good clip, so I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Not as good as Traffic, but probably better than Syriana or Babel.

The Vow. Yeah, you pretty much get exactly what you're looking for with this one. Two attractive people fall in love, something bad happens and they deal with it. Insert overly controlling, borderline evil family members and exes. Gets bonus points for being slightly darker than your standard romantic movie, not terribly cliched and cloying, and also for Rachel McAdams doing a lot of ridiculously cute things that remind me of Mrs. EoDS.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Saw Ted.

Not entirely sure how to describe it. I thought it was hilarious and was laughing throughout but came out of the theater with a "meh" feeling. If I had to explain it I guess I'd say it's a two-hour Family Guy with a romantic comedy mixed in, which is not necessarily a bad thing but it did feel a little forced at times.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Solid, cracking blockbuster. Very interesting set pieces, and a lot of fun to watch. Had a little bit of a "let's go to this place and have an action scene" type of narrative, but you can't really blame that on the screenwriters... I mean, they were writing for a movie that has way too many colons in the title.
                      Yeah, it was the best of the MI franchise (bar's pretty low), and the Burj Dubai sequence was good fun. Pure popcorn movie, so things like acting and writing don't factor in.

I'd say it was Bourne without any brains, which is what they were aiming for.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Bank Job

Complex, and very entertaining. (supposedly) Somewhat accurate story (from what I've read) of a bank heist that involved some bad things relating to the royalty of England. Due to government censorship of the actual story, it's hard to tell what is fiction and what isn't.

Honestly, don't care. If it's 100% true, awesome. If it was 100% made up? Don't care. It was a well-done story. Either way, worth seeing.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                          Saw Ted.

Not entirely sure how to describe it. I thought it was hilarious and was laughing throughout but came out of the theater with a "meh" feeling. If I had to explain it I guess I'd say it's a two-hour Family Guy with a romantic comedy mixed in, which is not necessarily a bad thing but it did feel a little forced at times.
                          Yeah, the plot is more or less there to make it to feature length, but it's a funny ride to get you there. If you think you're the type of person who will like it, you probably will, and if you don't, you probably won't.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Blast From The Past.

Guilty time-killer. Not horrible if you ditch predicatibility. Yeah, I've seen it before.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I saw Goon tonight, starring Sean William Scott (AKA Stifler). It's a fun movie for a hockey fan - even for a fan like me who doesn't really like hockey fights. It starts off 100% goofy, gets serious for a bit and that's when the movie lulls, then it picks up again with some humor mixed into the serious stuff. Jay Baruchel, known as being the skinny, dopey guy in a lot of Judd Apatow movies and the geeky awe-shucks guy in Tropic Thunder, co-wrote and played the lead's best friend in this movie. The plot is pretty much a cookie cutter show, but it's a fun movie regardless. The story's based on the career of Doug "the Hammer" Smith, and you see some clips of his fights during the closing credits.

Liev Schreiber plays Ross Rhea, the goon ending his own career on another team. I like Liev, he does good work as a character actor, but never seems to get the big roles.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Blast From The Past.

Guilty time-killer. Not horrible if you ditch predicatibility. Yeah, I've seen it before.
                                I like that movie. The first time I saw it was at the drive-in in Woodbury as the #2 flick that night. I think that has something to do with it. Oddly enough, I don't recall what the main movie was that week.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X