Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    abraham lincoln, vampire hunter.

....really?

-really?
    The book was surprisingly entertaining and well-researched. Unfortunately, I know the movie will suck. It'll be less Civil War set piece and more standard summer slasher flick, I'm guessing.

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

This one time in high school I mistakenly turned in an assignment in which the first half was the final, polished pages and the second half was notes, half-developed ideas, and doodles.

I had not thought about that in thirty years until last night, when I saw Prometheus.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Most Beautiful

WWII "morale booster" Japanese movie by Akira Kurosawa. It borders on propaganda but it's an ok movie. Far from his top 10 though. Follows an optic lenses factory and how one must sacrifice for the greater good. Akira was apparently asked to do a movie to increase morale in Japan so that is why he did this one.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          The Most Beautiful

WWII "morale booster" Japanese movie by Akira Kurosawa. It borders on propaganda but it's an ok movie. Far from his top 10 though. Follows an optic lenses factory and how one must sacrifice for the greater good. Akira was apparently asked to do a movie to increase morale in Japan so that is why he did this one.
          Followed this up with a re-watch of another great cultural movie: Airplane II. Classic.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Followed this up with a re-watch of another great cultural movie: Airplane II. Classic.
            *****http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/7d/7d3a014ca3b9587d0ab326dbad8b2f06782a0938_full.jpg******

Buck Murdock: Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights, blinking and beeping and flashing - they're *flashing* and they're *beeping*. I can't stand it anymore! They're *blinking* and *beeping* and *flashing*! Why doesn't somebody pull the plug!
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Not "BUCK Murdoch! Buck MURdoch!"

Comment

Not "BUCK Murdoch! Buck MURdoch!"
                I love when he looks through the periscope and sees the Enterprise
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  I love when he looks through the periscope and sees the Enterprise
                  It's such a classic movie.

"Shhhhht" *door opens* shhhhht

Comment

ThanksKilling.

Murderous turkey on a rampage. Yup. It's bad (and from what I know about the movie, it's supposed to be bad, unlike other B-movies that actually "try" to be good).

Worth a look if you like that sort of thing. It's just over an hour long, so you wouldn't be wasting that much time. I found it somewhat amusing.

Comment

It's such a classic movie.

"Shhhhht" *door opens* shhhhht
                      "We have no tower"
                      "No tower?"
                      "Just a bridge, sir."
                      "Why the hell aren't I notified about these things?"

I just realized that I never saw Sherlock Holms 2. Must be slipping. Thought the first one was pretty good so I'll have to track that one down somewhere this week to catch up on it.

Comment

Moonrise Kingdom - Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                          Moonrise Kingdom - Yes.
                          I'd really like to see that but no theater around me is playing it. The same thing happened with Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy though that did finally show up around here a few weeks after it was everywhere else so maybe I will get lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                            I just realized that I never saw Sherlock Holms 2. Must be slipping. Thought the first one was pretty good so I'll have to track that one down somewhere this week to catch up on it.
                            Skip it and watch the new BBC series instead. Way, way better than that steampunk Robert Downey crap. The first three episodes are on Netflix instant streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                              I just realized that I never saw Sherlock Holms 2. Must be slipping.
                              It seems like that movie had endless, heavy, long promo hype and then stayed in theaters for about half a second. I don't think you're slipping.
                              Cornell University
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                Way, way better than that steampunk Robert Downey crap.
                                It's not the Steampunkness that makes the Downey SH terrible, it's scripts and plotlines written for thirteen year-old C students with ADHD. The production values, OTOH, are gorgeous. I don't blame RDJ, either. I think he's actually a talented and entertaining actor who occasionally stars in garbage to finance the rest of his career (c.f. Depp, J. and Martin, S.)

Holmes and Dracula are the most often reimagined characters in English language movie history. The odds are there will be turkeys in there, particularly from studios used to making stuff like That's My Boy.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X