Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    It's the exact same movie, except with more penii and it's in Thailand.

Watched "The Rum Diary" today. Some parts were hilarious (although I don't know if they were meant to be; Depp's delivery made them funny), but overall, it was very meh.
    Yeah...if Hangover II had come out first it would be much better. It was cliche because all the plot points were the same.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Yeah...if Hangover II had come out first it would be much better. It was cliche because all the plot points were the same.
      They're making Hangover 3...and it's back in Vegas.
      Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
      Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
      sigpic
      Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
      1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Handy and anyone else: (not whiting this out because I dont think it will be a spoiler) In Prometheus we see Weyland Corp. But in the Alien series it was Weyland-Yutani. I wonder if any additional movies will address that?

Also (this whited out for spoilers): David had a clear mission to get Weyland in contact with one of the "engineers." But why infect Calloway as well? I mean, at this point they didnt really know what they were dealing with so how could they know if it was going to be useful in the bio-weaponry division? I dont know. It seemed odd.

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
          They're making Hangover 3...and it's back in Vegas.
          Huh...I thought I heard it was in LA but Vegas will work better.

Proud2baLaker,

If I remember correctly there is a merger or buyout of some kind previous to Alien where the Yulanti Corporation gets involved. Some have said it was a way of showing how in the future China (or another Asian nation I forget) will be a major force in American business. Nowadays that seems rather obvious...in 1979 not so much so if true then nice work!

As for your other question: I dont think David infecting Halloway had anything to do with his agenda of getting Weyland to meet his maker...I think he was basically playing god. He knew the substance he found was organic (he made a comment when he touched it) and he obvious saw some potential growth in it when he made the comment about "Big things have small beginnings" and I think he figured out that the only way to see what would become of it was to infect someone. I think he chose Halloway because of the attitude he had towards David and because of the comment he made about why they created David. (Because we can) It is the obvious next step...the Engineers created humans for some reason, the humans created the android to serve a purpose and now David was going to infect Halloway to create a new organism as well. I think it was as much a philosophical action by him as it was a profit motive one for the company. The theme of the movie is creation and by learning more about it we learn more about ourselves. Weyalnd, Shaw and Halloway wanted to learn more about humanity by meeting their progenitors and David wanted to learn more about who he is and more about his purpose by helping create something new.

That is how I saw it anyways...it is obviously open to a lot of interpretation which is something this movie has that Alien never had. This movie is a talker.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Proud2baLaker,

If I remember correctly there is a merger or buyout of some kind previous to Alien where the Yulanti Corporation gets involved. Some have said it was a way of showing how in the future China (or another Asian nation I forget) will be a major force in American business. Nowadays that seems rather obvious...in 1979 not so much so if true then nice work!

As for your other question: I dont think David infecting Halloway had anything to do with his agenda of getting Weyland to meet his maker...I think he was basically playing god. He knew the substance he found was organic (he made a comment when he touched it) and he obvious saw some potential growth in it when he made the comment about "Big things have small beginnings" and I think he figured out that the only way to see what would become of it was to infect someone. I think he chose Halloway because of the attitude he had towards David and because of the comment he made about why they created David. (Because we can) It is the obvious next step...the Engineers created humans for some reason, the humans created the android to serve a purpose and now David was going to infect Halloway to create a new organism as well. I think it was as much a philosophical action by him as it was a profit motive one for the company. The theme of the movie is creation and by learning more about it we learn more about ourselves. Weyalnd, Shaw and Halloway wanted to learn more about humanity by meeting their progenitors and David wanted to learn more about who he is and more about his purpose by helping create something new.

That is how I saw it anyways...it is obviously open to a lot of interpretation which is something this movie has that Alien never had. This movie is a talker.
            handyman, you nailed it. I'll just say this as I don't think it's too big a spoiler

that comment "because we can" really was stark at the moment it was made and obviously changes the relationship w/the fassbender character for the rest of the film. your analysis imo is spot on
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The first thing I read said LA, but upon further review they will be filming in Vegas, LA, and Tijuana.
              Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
              Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
              sigpic
              Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
              1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by icebadger View Post
                The first thing I read said LA, but upon further review they will be filming in Vegas, LA, and Tijuana.
                If they dont follow the same story beats that is an epic trifecta of possibilities. If they just put a bit of effort into the script it wont take much for the movie to be really good.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I was actually amazed how much I enjoyed Hangover II considering the fact that it pretty much was just a Mad-Libbed copy of the first movie. It'd be interesting to see what a few original ideas could do to make a third movie that much better.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    I was actually amazed how much I enjoyed Hangover II considering the fact that it pretty much was just a Mad-Libbed copy of the first movie. It'd be interesting to see what a few original ideas could do to make a third movie that much better.
                    It wasn't EXACTLY the same movie as 1. 2 had Mike Tyson singing karaoke, after all.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      It wasn't EXACTLY the same movie as 1. 2 had Mike Tyson singing karaoke, after all.
                      Mike sang in the first one as well, then punches Alan I believe.....
                      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        Mike sang in the first one as well, then punches Alan I believe.....

I love that scene
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

wow. I have to say the negativity toward Prometheus is baffling. In my mind it's the best sci-fi film since possibly the original Alien.

Plot holes? really? Ya think 2001 didn't have a million of those?

WARNING: this link contains spoilers
                          http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-prometheus/

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                            wow. I have to say the negativity toward Prometheus is baffling. In my mind it's the best sci-fi film since possibly the original Alien.

Plot holes? really? Ya think 2001 didn't have a million of those?

WARNING: this link contains spoilers
                            http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-prometheus/
                            I am not really surprised...I think people wanted this movie to answer every question they had...which it was never meant to do. Plus, the questions it did answer they hate because it answered them in ways that contradict the theories they have in their mind that have lingered for 30 years. Plot holes are just a convenient excuse, every movie has them. Even Alien has them. (especially the original cut) The Alien diehards were going to have issues because this movie isnt the lead in they wanted. (it is exactly what Ridley Scott said it was, the father of the Alien universe) Let the haters hate they werent going to be happy unless they saw the Space Jockey flying the ship and landing on LV-426 and getting his chest ripped open with a Queen xenomorph jumping out to say hello. This movie was never supposed to be that Scott said it from day 1.

Interesting that rumors seem to be flying around that it is possible they may already have quite a bit of work done on the sequel (which is why it was talked about even before the reviews came in) as some feel they filmed both movies at the same time. (like Superman I and II were before Donner was canned and II was changed) There is no evidence that I could find (minus some talk about how long the filming schedule was in comparison to how much was shown...etc.) but since the Weyland-Yutani web site that was shown at the end of the credits hints at something big happening on 10/11/12 some are thinking that they will announce the Blu-Ray release and possibly have a teaser trailer ready. If true, Prometheus II will be the movie the haters want as it will be Shaw and David going to the Engineer Homeworld where they will most likely find out the true origin of the Xenomorph (which appears to have been alive previous to Prometheus as seen in the the mural in some form and turned into a biological weapon by the Engineers) and then the Space Jockey leaving while impregnated and landing on LV-426 waiting for Nostromo. Like I said it is a rumor, but seeing as they have never confirmed the budget for the film that could be the reason.
                            Last edited by Handyman; 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Some bad news:

It's being reported that "The Girl" sequels are "still in development" which is a step back from a few months earlier, when it sounded like they were going to happen. Reason? "Tattoo" didn't actually make a profit (as of March).

BOO! This is no good if true.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I am not really surprised...I think people wanted this movie to answer every question they had...which it was never meant to do. Plus, the questions it did answer they hate because it answered them in ways that contradict the theories they have in their mind that have lingered for 30 years. Plot holes are just a convenient excuse, every movie has them. Even Alien has them. (especially the original cut) The Alien diehards were going to have issues because this movie isnt the lead in they wanted. (it is exactly what Ridley Scott said it was, the father of the Alien universe) Let the haters hate they werent going to be happy unless they saw the Space Jockey flying the ship and landing on LV-426 and getting his chest ripped open with a Queen xenomorph jumping out to say hello. This movie was never supposed to be that Scott said it from day 1.

Interesting that rumors seem to be flying around that it is possible they may already have quite a bit of work done on the sequel (which is why it was talked about even before the reviews came in) as some feel they filmed both movies at the same time. (like Superman I and II were before Donner was canned and II was changed) There is no evidence that I could find (minus some talk about how long the filming schedule was in comparison to how much was shown...etc.) but since the Weyland-Yutani web site that was shown at the end of the credits hints at something big happening on 10/11/12 some are thinking that they will announce the Blu-Ray release and possibly have a teaser trailer ready. If true, Prometheus II will be the movie the haters want as it will be Shaw and David going to the Engineer Homeworld where they will most likely find out the true origin of the Xenomorph (which appears to have been alive previous to Prometheus as seen in the the mural in some form and turned into a biological weapon by the Engineers) and then the Space Jockey leaving while impregnated and landing on LV-426 waiting for Nostromo. Like I said it is a rumor, but seeing as they have never confirmed the budget for the film that could be the reason.
                                excellent points. And I agree with em all. A lot of this appears to be as you suggest: fanboys wanting to see the space jockey arriving on lv426 and what happened to him there, etc. I have 2 minor problems w/the film (to be discussed later maybe) but overall it really turned out to be even better than I had expected and added needed depth to the series. not to mention that for the genre this is a real jolt... when was the last great sci-fi film? there have been several "good" ones, AI (could have been great w/Kubrick), Minority Report, the last Star Trek, but...

I hadn't heard or read about the rumors of the sequel, if true that would be fantastic...

Comment

Working...
                                X