Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Can someone give me the 12 second rundown on the backstory to Prometheus? I'm not really a fan of the Alien series, and I am really getting confused as to whether Prometheus is a prequel to Alien or not...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Can someone give me the 12 second rundown on the backstory to Prometheus? I'm not really a fan of the Alien series, and I am really getting confused as to whether Prometheus is a prequel to Alien or not...
      Ridley Scott wont come out and say it is a prequel, so most are saying its sort of in indirect prequel. The same company that is featured throughout the Alien series is the same one that is sending this ship (Weyland Yutani...spelling?). The ship that you see crashing in the previews (that crescent shape one) looks the same as the one in Alien. There are several other similiarities as well. Most feel that the aliens in this movie are likley precursors to the ones we see in Alien et al.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        It's a prequel to Alien. In this new movie they're explorers looking for aliens that had visited Earth long ago, based upon archeological evidence suggesting that aliens had gifted humanity with certain tools and skills or something. Instead they find disaster on whatever planet they find - at least that's what I get from the trailers. I'm betting that Charlize Theron is the android in this movie.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          It's a prequel to Alien. In this new movie they're explorers looking for aliens that had visited Earth long ago, based upon archeological evidence suggesting that aliens had gifted humanity with certain tools and skills or something. Instead they find disaster on whatever planet they find - at least that's what I get from the trailers. I'm betting that Charlize Theron is the android in this movie.
          She isnt, they already told us that Fassbender is the android. She works for the company and is there to protect the profits.

And Scott has said it is a prequel, but it doesnt end and Alien begins. Prometheus is supposed to be like the father and Alien and its franchise is one of the children. (that seems to be how he describes it...others describe them as cousins) It basically gives the foundation of the universe in the decades before the Nostromo with room for sequels. (if it makes money it is guaranteed there will be a Prometheus II)

Think of it like the book the Hobbit and how it relates to the Lord of the Rings. Same writer and same universe with some ties between them but you dont need one to have the other. Alien stands alone and so does Prometheus but together they tell a much bigger story.

I am seeing it tomorrow and I cant wait. The reviews say what I figured...though I think they tend to gloss over the fact that many of the deficiencies that Prometheus has Alien had as well. (no background on the universe, very little plot minus people running from the Alien and the evil company, very little character background...etc.) Hell if Alien didnt have them there would be no need for Prometheus
          Last edited by Handyman; 06-09-2012, 10:59 AM.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Goon.

Yes. That is all.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Goon.

Yes. That is all.
              Im hoping to see that this week sometime. Cant wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                Im hoping to see that this week sometime. Cant wait.
                I had NO idea what to expect. A bad movie that is so bad that it's good? An okay movie that is made better because I'm a hockey fan? It's actually a decent movie, and the nuances in it, ones that you would get only if you knew hockey, made it better. The inevitable comparisons to Slap Shot are unavoidable, so just roll with the movie when you watch it.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Just got back from Prometheus. I liked it. A few plot holes but nothing that really was to major in my opinion. Definelty an opening for Prometheus II or some kind of sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                    Just got back from Prometheus. I liked it. A few plot holes but nothing that really was to major in my opinion. Definelty an opening for Prometheus II or some kind of sequel.
                    I just got back and I loved it. The visuals alone are stunning but the story was better than a lot of the reviewers were giving it credit for. My buddy and I each gave it 4 out of 5 stars

Also: watching the "Alien" evolve over the course of the movie was pretty sweet! In the short time Prometheus was on the planet it went from a little maggot, to a snake, to the cephlapoid that was inside Shaw (which was just friggin disturbing!!) to a proto-Alien by the end. I dont care what anyone says this was a direct Prequel, the only questions unanswered is do Shaw and David make it to the Engineer Homeworld and how does the Proto-Alien infect another Engineer (the Space Jockey) and get to LV-426 so the Nostromo can find her a few decades later...

BTW Fassbender was friggin awesome as David. He was creepy/evil like the Android in Alien but had more depth. he was not out to bring the Company their prize/cargo...he had an agenda that actually was sympathetic. I loved his character. The Captain was badass too
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Handy, yes to that sentiment. Also: I do agree its definetly a striaght prequel, I just never saw anywhere where Scott would say it was, but apparently others did see that. Why the hell did Vickers just keep running straight? The two guys and I who went to see it all looked at each other after it was over and were like "Turn left!" I liked the fact that the alien at the end still has some evolving to do before it gets to the Alien we all know. The acid for blood is there, the body shape and head shape are starting. The big cepholapod thing looked like a large version of the face-hugger basically. I was expecting Shaw's self surgery to be a big more graphic but it was well done.

Comment

Yeah I did find it rather hilarious that Charlize Theron didnt just move out of the way...I will just chalk it up to be freaked out and being a dumbass The way the organism changed over the course of the film somewhat reminded me of Alien 3 when the dog got infected. That Alien ran on all 4 legs and was very much different than the humanoid ones. The adaptation and evolving of the species is just amazing. Think how long it took life on Earth to evolve as fast as the organism did and yet it took the organism less than a couple days!

Also, I like that the Space Jockey/Engineer was not benevolent and gave them no answers. When he ripped David's head off and pimpslapped Weyland that was great. In their greed to apparently populate/destroy every planet they created an organic weapon that was so uncontrollable and powerful it destroyed them. Imagine what else it could have evolved too if something else made contact...

BTW check this out: Join the Mission apparently something is supposed to happen on 10/11/12 according to the Weyland-Yulanti timeline!
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Watching Hangover 2. It's nowhere near as funny or well done as the first one.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Watching Hangover 2. It's nowhere near as funny or well done as the first one.
                            It's the exact same movie, except with more penii and it's in Thailand.

Watched "The Rum Diary" today. Some parts were hilarious (although I don't know if they were meant to be; Depp's delivery made them funny), but overall, it was very meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              It's the exact same movie, except with more penii and it's in Thailand.

Watched "The Rum Diary" today. Some parts were hilarious (although I don't know if they were meant to be; Depp's delivery made them funny), but overall, it was very meh.
                              It is meh. Amber Heard is great eye candy, though. Also, Giovanni Ribisi is awesome.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                It is meh. Amber Heard is great eye candy, though. Also, Giovanni Ribisi is awesome.
                                Giovanni is hardly recognizable. He did do a great job. And yes, Amber is nice to look at.

Comment

Working...
                                X