Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I want to see both Abe Lincoln movies. The DDL one is bound to be great because everyone knows that DDL is going to absolutely kill that role. Can we give him the Oscar now? And I'm looking forward to Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer, I think it is going to be a good, fun movie. Everything I've heard about the book has been very positive.

I agree with the sentiment that Lincoln will be DDL's top performance. Right now I put There Will Be Blood as number 1 and Gangs of New York as 2, but My Left Foot is still sitting on the coffee table unwatched, so after I get to that, the list might change.
    Dammit, bbdl, I rewatched it just so it was fresh in my memory again, so I could hear your take on it.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Just got back from a free preview of Ruby Sparks. I was surprised how serious and *** up it got a a certain point but it was actually really good and very well done. Obviously, Paul Dano was perfectly cast as the awkward writer and Deborah Ann Woll does an amazing job as Ruby. Antonio Banderas steals some scenes...I'm actually really surprised with part of the movie and yet I really enjoyed it.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Dammit, bbdl, I rewatched it just so it was fresh in my memory again, so I could hear your take on it.
        I probably won't get to it until after I get back from Sweden. Maybe I'll be able to watch it tomorrow night, but tonight is out as I'm spending time with the gf, and Thursday night I have to do laundry, and pack and mow the lawn before I leave.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The reviews for Prometheus thus far are pretty disheartening. Sounds like it's big, loud and pretty, but lacking any story or depth. Still excited to see it, but not expecting much.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
            The reviews for Prometheus thus far are pretty disheartening. Sounds like it's big, loud and pretty, but lacking any story or depth. Still excited to see it, but not expecting much.
            It has 77% on rotten tomatoes right now which isnt too bad. Im exctied for it but yeah, at the same time trying not to get to high of hopes. Most of the critics seem to be saying the same thing you say in that it looks good but there are some issues with plot. It sounds like its biggest problem will be people will want to compare it to Alien which was an amazing movie.

Comment

Went to see Snow White and the Huntsman last night. Very impressed with the visuals. Not impressed with Zombie McGee (Snow White - Kristen Stewart) who had zero emotions and did not make me really like her as a character or feel engaged with her as the lead. Charlize was hot and awesome. The Huntsman was...Thor. There are some beautiful shots of what looks like the Irish cliffs (Wiki says it was filmed in Wales)

Overall, A for looks, B- for plot, dialog, and acting.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                It has 77% on rotten tomatoes right now which isnt too bad. Im exctied for it but yeah, at the same time trying not to get to high of hopes. Most of the critics seem to be saying the same thing you say in that it looks good but there are some issues with plot. It sounds like its biggest problem will be people will want to compare it to Alien which was an amazing movie.
                comparing anything to Alien is stupid...that movie is in a class by itself.

Speaking of movies in a class by themselves:

Advance Tickets on sale July 11th
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Exactly. Which is what I think people will be doing and thats a big reason it could get less than great reviews.

Comment

Correct. I'm expecting Prometheus to be Aliens with better Fx and shorter attention spans.

Hollywood couldn't make Alien again. Too quiet and waaaaaaaaaaaay too smart. Also, Ripley was a revelation, but since then every heroine has been a boring and/or lame attempt to recreate Ripley. You can't clone something groundbreaking, by definition.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 06-06-2012, 12:11 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Somebody once said of Dwight Gooden in 1985, "this is the greatest he'll ever be." Meaning no matter how great he became, nothing would ever live up to the hype of the summer of '85.

I love Nolan and hope DKR is great, but how about we actually see it before we rank it above 8 1/2?
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I probably won't get to it until after I get back from Sweden. Maybe I'll be able to watch it tomorrow night, but tonight is out as I'm spending time with the gf, and Thursday night I have to do laundry, and pack and mow the lawn before I leave.
                        Put it in your bag and watch it on your laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          Put it in your bag and watch it on your laptop.
                          I usually can't do that, because I get Blue Rays, and my computer doesn't play them. I wonder if this disk is old enough that they just sent me a regular DVD.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Everything Must Go

What a f*ing depressing movie. It might have been better had the ending been just as depressing, but nope, a sort of hopeful ending ruined that angle. Will Farrell did well (and I'd wish he'd do more roles like this one and what he did in Stranger Than Fiction, which was a phenomenal movie). But man, I wanted to take a shotgun to myself watching this movie (and not because it was a poor quality movie).

It's an okay watch, but Will's character is just a sad, sad excuse for a man.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Everything Must Go

What a f*ing depressing movie. It might have been better had the ending been just as depressing, but nope, a sort of hopeful ending ruined that angle. Will Farrell did well (and I'd wish he'd do more roles like this one and what he did in Stranger Than Fiction, which was a phenomenal movie). But man, I wanted to take a shotgun to myself watching this movie (and not because it was a poor quality movie).

It's an okay watch, but Will's character is just a sad, sad excuse for a man.
                              Yeah I watched it a while back expecting something more like Stranger than Fiction...a serious movie with a few good chuckles. But yeah, way depressing. I agree that Farrell should do more movies like these (perhaps a bit less depressing). He can actually be decent serious actor if the story is right.

Comment

Ebert game Prometheus 4 stars. I often find myself agreeing with his reviews for the most part so it gives me some hope. I have this feeling that what I worried about earlier is true. Some people are trying to compare it to much to Alien and are giving it poor reviews for that reason.

I caught another review on the radio on my drive from Illinois home to Indiana today and the guy there (no idea who he was) thought Michael Fassbender did such a good job that this guy was already saying he needs to be at least nominated for an oscar.

Comment

Working...
                                X