This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    My thought was, isn't The Great Gatsby about 100 pages? How is there even enough material for a movie?
    Many movie scripts are that short, or shorter. Remember that much of the visuals written down are summarized by a quick camera shot and long paragraphs of speech are whittled down to a mere sentence or three at most
    Last edited by aparch; 05-24-2012, 09:25 PM.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by duper View Post
      As long as Luhrman doesn't try to set it in the modern day, I'll give it a try.
      Not a fan of his version of Romeo and Juliet?
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        This is true. When I read "Lord Jim" in high school my reaction was it was a work of genius because nobody could have accidentally written a book so uniformally, perfectly boring on every page.

Another thing about great literature is if you read it again many years later it has amazingly gotten much better. Wonder how that could be?

I suppose it's unavoidable that we force young people to read works that are way over their head: "a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?" But when I hear somebody say "I read Conrad where I was 18 and it was boring" what I hear him saying was "I read Conrad where I was 18 and I was boring."
        Depends. After reading Romeo And Juliet and Hamlet in HS, I read Macbeth and a bunch of other Shakespeare plays on my own, because the stories kicked arse. Even saw "Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead" on my own when it came out (which is a great movie, btw). That stuff should be above the head (due to the difference in language) for the average student.

However, some others might even find THAT below their level of undertanding literature.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Re: New/Rented Movies: Have Mercy on Michael Bay's Soul, He Knows Not What He Does

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Even as a purist, I thought that had some good points to it. IIRC the scene where R first sees J she is behind a giant fish tank, foreshadowing her great line:

My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
          My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
          The more I have, for both are infinite.
          There are a lot of little touches like that.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Depends. After reading Romeo And Juliet and Hamlet in HS, I read Macbeth and a bunch of other Shakespeare plays on my own, because the stories kicked arse. Even saw "Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead" on my own when it came out (which is a great movie, btw). That stuff should be above the head (due to the difference in language) for the average student.

However, some others might even find THAT below their level of undertanding literature.
            Of course.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I watched Leap of Faith last night for the first time in years. Still one of my favorite Steve Martin movies
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Going to see MIB3 this weekend with the gf. Should be a good mindless popcorn flick.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  In a word. No. (Frankly I couldn't get past the thought that very few of the actors seemed like they understood their lines. Paul Sorvino was good (but when isn't he?) and I actually liked John Leguizamo in it.)
                  Last edited by duper; 05-25-2012, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                    In a word. No. (Frankly I couldn't get past the thought that very few of the actors seemed like they understood their lines. Paul Sorvino was good (but when isn't he?) and I actually liked John Leguizamo in it.)
                    I haven't seen much of John L, but the only role I liked him in was Benny Blanco from the Bronx in "Carlito's Way." I thought he was excellent. And Paul Sorvino is awesome. Really liked him in "The Cooler."
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

He was good as Toulouse in Moulin Rouge.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                        He was good as Toulouse in Moulin Rouge.
                        Moulin Rouge.....*snicker*

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          I haven't seen much of John L, but the only role I liked him in was Benny Blanco from the Bronx in "Carlito's Way." I thought he was excellent. And Paul Sorvino is awesome. Really liked him in "The Cooler."
                          Heh, this movie is on right now. And the naiveness of Sean Penn's character is so revealed when he utters the quote about street justice/criminal "honor"/rules of the street.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Moulin Rouge.....*snicker*
                            Not gonna lie. I saw it and didn't hate it.

Comment

Saw Battleship. It was absolutely everything I wanted it to be.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                Saw Battleship. It was absolutely everything I wanted it to be.
                                Terrible?

Comment

Working...
                                X