Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: March Madness 2012

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Gophers move on to the NIT final in a thriller against Washington.
    And will play Stanford!

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    UConn is going to have to win a re-re-rematch against ND in order to get to Baylor. After going through a bit of a rough patch toward the end of the regular season and in the conference tournament, the Irish appear to be playing like a team on a mission right now. They eviscerated a Maryland team that was a chic upset pick with the pundits.
    Baylor has to play a game to get to the final too. Interesting that one semi has the #1 and #2 teams in the polls, meaning that Stanford must have somehow been the 4th #1 seed, continuing the selection committee's habit of screwing them. Oh well, they'll have to beat Baylor at some point this year if they want to win it all, might as well be sooner.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
      Interesting that one semi has the #1 and #2 teams in the polls, meaning that Stanford must have somehow been the 4th #1 seed, continuing the selection committee's habit of screwing them. Oh well, they'll have to beat Baylor at some point this year if they want to win it all, might as well be sooner.
      Stanford's seeding is at least arguably correct: they lost to UConn, placing them behind both UConn and ND (who beat UConn two times out of three).
      Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
      Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Stanford's seeding is at least arguably correct: they lost to UConn, placing them behind both UConn and ND (who beat UConn two times out of three).
        That has yet to be determined...they have yet to beat 6th seed MN.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          That has yet to be determined...they have yet to beat 6th seed MN.
          We're talking about the women's tournament, where French Rage was complaining about Stanford ending up as the 4th #1 seed based on bracketing.
          Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
          Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Baylor has to play a game to get to the final too. Interesting that one semi has the #1 and #2 teams in the polls, meaning that Stanford must have somehow been the 4th #1 seed, continuing the selection committee's habit of screwing them. Oh well, they'll have to beat Baylor at some point this year if they want to win it all, might as well be sooner.
            It seems odd to me as well. The NCAA is perfectly content to have two teams from the same conference play for the men's division I football championship, yet shows a strange perversity when it comes to women's division I basketball. Last year, Baylor and Texas A&M played each other three times during the season yet were placed in the same side of the bracket, while UConn and Notre Dame also had played each other three times during the season yet were placed in the same side of the bracket. Again, this year, UConn and Notre Dame have already played each other three times yet have to face each other again before the championship game.

You'd think that when two of the four best teams in the country are from the same conference they'd not force them to play yet again before the final.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

We're talking about the women's tournament, where French Rage was complaining about Stanford ending up as the 4th #1 seed based on bracketing.
              Ah...that explains it. I just couldn't understand how anyone could not be talking about the NIT.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Amazing, a story about the Women's FF that isn't on game day!

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                  Amazing, a story about the Women's FF that isn't on game day!
                  This is really the first time since 1989 all the 1 seeds have made it? There must be a lot of years where 3 of them make it because I pay some moderate attention to the game and I assumed years like this were the norm. The article speaks of "parity" but that's not really true. UConn, Baylor, ND, Stanford and Tennessee are still running the show. In fact, looking at the bracket there were only seven upsets this year in the whole tournament compared to about 20 for the men.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    This is really the first time since 1989 all the 1 seeds have made it? There must be a lot of years where 3 of them make it because I pay some moderate attention to the game and I assumed years like this were the norm. The article speaks of "parity" but that's not really true. UConn, Baylor, ND, Stanford and Tennessee are still running the show. In fact, looking at the bracket there were only seven upsets this year in the whole tournament compared to about 20 for the men.
                    There actually has been about the same amount of "parity" in the women's final as in the men's final. I don't have statistics handy for the Final Four however, just for the Championship game.

Since 1982, including this year, there will have been 31 women's tournaments.

In that time,
                    > 25 different teams have made it to the Championship game.
                    > 14 teams have won (each of this year's Final Four teams have won at least once). Tennessee has won 8 and UConn has won 7 (four of them over Tennessee! ), which means that between them they've won 15 and the other 12 have won 16 (assuming UConn will not win this year).
                    > 11 teams have made it to the Championship game at least once, without winning it.

Since 1982, including this year, there will have been 31 men's tournaments.
                    > 28 different teams have made it to the Championship game (each of this year's Final Four teams has made it at least once, 3 of the four have won it at least once).
                    > 19 teams have won (none have been as dominant as Tennessee or UConn on the women's side; Duke has 4, UConn and North Carolina have 3).
                    > 9 teams have made it to the Championship game at least once, without winning it (including Ohio State)

If you exclude Tennessee and UConn's totals from the women's side, the women have seen more "parity" in the Championship game than the men. Pat Summitt won most of her titles while the women's game was still developing (2 in the 1980s, 4 in the 1990s, 2007 and 2008), and Geno Auriemma is a coaching genius, recognized as such by John Wooden (whose tactics and strategies inspired Geno). UConn won 6 titles in 11 years under Geno (so far....fingers crossed); UCLA won 10 titles in 12 years under Wooden. I consider those outliers.

The women's game today is at a similar stage as the men's game in the second half of the 1970s, I'd say. Players stay all four years before turning pro, and there is continuity in most programs because coaching turnover isn't as high.
                    Last edited by FreshFish; 03-29-2012, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Why did we pick Ray Lewis to give the pregame speech?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Minnesota is getting blowed out.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Looks like the NIT is over with Stanford taking it. They've got a decent team.

But this is really that the gophers have nothing in the tank. As I said Stanford is decent, but defense in the big ten is typically better. I think the gophs shooting pct from the floor collapsed half way through the game when typically they've one of the top shooting pct in the big ten. Turnovers were about as terrible and the best free throw shooter in the BT was missing from the stripe. And absolutely no whiff of a comeback. Its a matter of having the Washington game go into overtime...when you're missing your top two players as well as one of your best 6th...and have absolutely no bench left.

Good game to Stanford..too bad we couldn't have met on equal footing.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Why did we pick Ray Lewis to give the pregame speech?
                            It worked didn't it??

bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

wow, it sounds like the entire state of Kentucky is going crazy! Good thing for them that the Final Four is in New Orleans I suppose....I wonder if KY's governor will have to call out the National Guard on Saturday?

Comment

Kentucky is now awaiting the winner of Kansas/Ohio State. Go Kansas; I'd rather have a root canal than cheer for the Buckeyes.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X