PC Police: A New Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is sexist??

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/08...form=hootsuite
    And "Baby It's Cold Outside" is about sexual assault...

Times change.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: PC Police: A New Low

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

Times change.
      No, it's really not. The man in the song isn't forcing the woman to stay, he's just enticing her to stay longer because he wants to spend more time with her. He's not slipping her a roofie or blocking the exit.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        No, it's really not. The man in the song isn't forcing the woman to stay, he's just enticing her to stay longer because he wants to spend more time with her. He's not slipping her a roofie or blocking the exit.
        well, it does have a line that says

Say what's in this drink?

https://play.google.com/music/previe...gnid=kp-lyrics

Comment

Lyrics in total, woman's role is in parentheses:

And look at her lines as a single train of thought because that's how the song is written, "(The neighbors might think)... (Say what's in this drink)"

She's not complaining about what's in the drink, she's worried about what the neighbors' opinion of her if she stays.

"Baby It's Cold Outside"
          (I really can't stay) But, baby, it's cold outside
          (I've got to go away) But, baby, it's cold outside
          (This evening has been) Been hoping that you'd drop in
          (So very nice) I'll hold your hands they're just like ice

(My mother will start to worry) Beautiful, what's your hurry
          (My father will be pacing the floor) Listen to the fireplace roar
          (So really I'd better scurry) Beautiful, please don't hurry
          (Well, maybe just half a drink more) Put some records on while I pour

(The neighbors might think) Baby, it's bad out there
          (Say what's in this drink) No cabs to be had out there
          (I wish I knew how) Your eyes are like starlight now
          (To break this spell) I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell

(I ought to say no, no, no, sir) Mind if I move in closer
          (At least I'm gonna say that I tried) What's the sense of hurting my pride
          (I really can't stay) Baby, don't hold doubt
          [Both] Baby, it's cold outside

(I simply must go) Baby, it's cold outside
          (The answer is no) Baby, it's cold outside
          (The welcome has been) How lucky that you dropped in
          (So nice and warm) Look out the window at the storm

(My sister will be suspicious) Gosh your lips look delicious
          (My brother will be there at the door) Waves upon a tropical shore
          (My maiden aunt's mind is vicious) Gosh your lips are delicious
          (But maybe just a cigarette more) Never such a blizzard before

(I got to get home) But, baby, you'd freeze out there
          (Say lend me a coat) It's up to your knees out there
          (You've really been grand) I thrill when you touch my hand
          (But don't you see) How can you do this thing to me

(There's bound to be talk tomorrow) Think of my life long sorrow
          (At least there will be plenty implied) If you caught pneumonia and died
          (I really can't stay) Get over that old doubt
          [Both] Baby, it's cold
          [Both] Baby, it's cold outside
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

Times change.
            “Gentlemen, there are times when a cigar is only a cigar!”
            "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
            Groucho Marx
            "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
            Ron White
            "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
            Milo Bloom

Comment

Lyrics in total, woman's role is in parentheses:

And look at her lines as a single train of thought because that's how the song is written, "(The neighbors might think)... (Say what's in this drink)"
              If you do that I can see how the full quatrain does leave it up to debate:

(The neighbors might think)
              (Say what's in this drink)
              (I wish I knew how)
              (To break this spell)

That said I really doubt that's the point even if the whole thing is a bit odd given it's a Christmas song.

Comment

Yet no outrage about "Funky Cold Medina," where Tone DOES slip something in a lady's drink.....
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Yet no outrage about "Funky Cold Medina," where Tone DOES slip something in a lady's drink.....
                  Completely unrelated. Nobody's bothered to rewrite the lyrics to Funky Cold Medina.

Comment

Completely unrelated. Nobody's bothered to rewrite the lyrics to Funky Cold Medina.
                    Ah, but the outrage for "Baby" has been around for at least a year or two, before the lyrics got re-written.....
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Ah, but the outrage for "Baby" has been around for at least a year or two, before the lyrics got re-written.....
                      It's probably in the context of the song, that FCM isn't supposed to be a Christmas song.

Comment

It's probably in the context of the song, that FCM isn't supposed to be a Christmas song.
                        So, it's ok to roofie drinks outside of Christmas?

Comment

Jeezuz. You realize arguing against one stupid idea with another doesn't serve you well?

Comment

Wait. I thought the "thing" he "slips" into her drink is the drink. I never heard FCM as anything but a "this magical drink makes people horny" song -- c.f., Love Potion #9.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              If you do that I can see how the full quatrain does leave it up to debate:

(The neighbors might think)
                              (Say what's in this drink)
                              (I wish I knew how)
                              (To break this spell)

That said I really doubt that's the point even if the whole thing is a bit odd given it's a Christmas song.
                              "Say, what's in this drink" means "how much alcohol is in this drink?"

Key-ryste.

The other thing is the whole point of the song is she's looking for an excuse to stay.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Can't we just close our eyes, ignore what's going on around us, and put on some Nat King Cole and Tony Bennett?

Comment

Working...
                                X