Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PC Police: A New Low

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Yeah. That's gone on here for quite some time. From what I can tell, its actually gotten a bit better. Having said that its, not a political correctness issue.
    If the attack being used to discredit the person is calling them a racist, it is most certainly to do with your precious political correctness.

Comment

Yeah. That's gone on here for quite some time. From what I can tell, its actually gotten a bit better. Having said that its, not a political correctness issue.
      It has gotten significantly better over the last four to six years. Remarkably so maybe over the last two or three.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The death of NAPALM cleaned up almost all the ad hom stuff. We still have nutters, but for the most part they are rather polite nutters.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          If the attack being used to discredit the person is calling them a racist, it is most certainly to do with your precious political correctness.
          I guess in some manner.

So a question then. If you personally don't support societal political correctness as is insinuated by your post...do you feel the same way about others slinging derogatory comments or personal attacks at you? You seem to be a target as much as anyone.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
            I'd make an adjustment to your statement in that "reasonable opinions garner discourse from reasonable people if there's disagreement." Lots of people still get shouted down or mocked even if they bring a reasonable opinion in a respectable way. Both sides have to be open to having that discourse. All too often, that's not the case.
            You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cF[Authentic] again.

Bingo! very well put.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I guess in some manner.

So a question then. If you personally don't support societal political correctness as is insinuated by your post...do you feel the same way about others slinging derogatory comments or personal attacks at you? You seem to be a target as much as anyone.
              I could care less if you want to come after me on the forum. I'm a man. I may not be 40 yet, but I'm not a kid. The only times I will ever actively seek to report posts or tags is if you post personal information without my consent (note: I do not give it), or if you go after my spouse, who isn't even on here. I'm not too thrilled about those who have brought deceased relatives into discussions or tags on here, or using a thread title to slander me and then have my posts moved there, but I have no desire to play a victim card for brownie points. You want to make fun of me, do it all you want. Just make sure you're sticking to making fun of me.

Comment

I could care less if you want to come after me on the forum. I'm a man. I may not be 40 yet, but I'm not a kid. The only times I will ever actively seek to report posts or tags is if you post personal information without my consent (note: I do not give it), or if you go after my spouse, who isn't even on here. I'm not too thrilled about those who have brought deceased relatives into discussions or tags on here, or using a thread title to slander me and then have my posts moved there, but I have no desire to play a victim card for brownie points. You want to make fun of me, do it all you want. Just make sure you're sticking to making fun of me.
                I am honestly shocked you are under 60. Just the mental picture I had.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Kep - that's me. I'm 61 and a crotchety old fart.

WTOP Radio in DC is reporting this:
                  MLB is banning the use of forcing players to dress like women during hazing because it may be "offensive to individuals based on their race, sex, nationality, age, sexual orientation, gender identify or other characteristic.”
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I am honestly shocked you are under 60. Just the mental picture I had.
                    I can't believe he's claiming to be married. No one marries someone still living in their mom's basement and wearing tin foil.

I'm less shocked he screwed up the "couldn't care less" idiom.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      The death of NAPALM cleaned up almost all the ad hom stuff.
                      The place has gone downhill since their demise.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

if you go after my spouse
                        A spouse? Aren't things a little crowded in your mom's basement? Do you have room for your spouses belongings AND your prepper supplies?

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                          I'd make an adjustment to your statement in that "reasonable opinions garner discourse from reasonable people if there's disagreement." Lots of people still get shouted down or mocked even if they bring a reasonable opinion in a respectable way. Both sides have to be open to having that discourse. All too often, that's not the case.
                          I was thinking about your post a little further, and it brought to mind another part of this problem about having a civil discourse: all too often, people who are in broad general agreement about the ultimate goals of a policy or program wind up in virulent argument over one particular way to achieve it.

For example, suppose you and I both agree that, for those poor people who want a job, we want to help them: maybe we both acknowledge that some people like the dignity and sense of self-worth that accompanies being able to support oneself, and we both want to promote that goal.

Suppose further that we agree that some poor people will need transportation assistance to get to the workplace.

I suggest that we give them cars. You point out that there might be a problem with that idea, at least at the outset: (a) if the expenses of maintaining the car are "too" high, it might defeat the goal of helping people support themselves, because too much of their earnings will initially be diverted away from self-support, and (b) if the cars are unreliable and break down frequently, that also might defeat the goal because it would give the people a reputation for being unreliable, which is not helpful to them.

Suddenly I start calling you a heartless uncaring snob because you are undermining efforts to help poor people become self-sufficient!

In this example, it seems that my reaction would be extreme, yet that is exactly the same situation that occurs with healthcare reform in general compared to the actual textual language of PPACA in specific: in effect, PPACA tries to put 10 cubic feet into a box that is 2 feet wide, deep, and long: it cannot possibly work in the long run because it violates the laws of mathematics. Oy, so many potential allies who could combine to achieve actual workable effective healthcare reform suddenly become red-faced and short of breath in the violence of their denunciations. Anyone who says PPACA is flawed in any way must be excoriated, even if they are merely describing its underlying math.
                          Last edited by FreshFish; 12-14-2016, 11:06 AM.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            I was thinking about your post a little further, and it brought to mind another part of this problem about having a civil discourse: all too often, people who are in broad general agreement about the ultimate goals of a policy or program wind up in virulent argument over one particular way to achieve it.

For example, suppose you and I both agree that, for those poor people who want a job, we want to help them: maybe we both acknowledge that some people like the dignity and sense of self-worth that accompanies being able to support oneself, and we both want to promote that goal.

Suppose further that we agree that some poor people will need transportation assistance to get to the workplace.

I suggest that we give them cars. You point out that there might be a problem with that idea, at least at the outset: (a) if the expenses of maintaining the car are "too" high, it might defeat the goal of helping people support themselves, because too much of their earnings will initially be diverted away from self-support, and (b) if the cars are unreliable and break down frequently, that also might defeat the goal because it would give the people a reputation for being unreliable, which is not helpful to them.

Suddenly I start calling you a heartless uncaring snob because you are undermining efforts to help poor people become self-sufficient!

In this example, it seems that my reaction would be extreme, yet that is exactly the same situation that occurs with healthcare reform in general compared to the actual textual language of PPACA in specific: in effect, PPACA tries to put 10 cubic feet into a box that is 2 feet wide, deep, and long: it cannot possibly work in the long run because it violates the laws of mathematics. Oy, so many potential allies who could combine to achieve actual workable effective healthcare reform suddenly become red-faced and short of breath in the violence of their denunciations. Anyone who says PPACA is flawed in any way must be excoriated, even if they are merely describing its underlying math.
                            Or, you know, you could tell your party to stop b_tching about public transportation and give the poors a pittance every now and then.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Or, you know, you could tell your party to stop b_tching about public transportation and give the poors a pittance every now and then.
                              Even then, you look at how people argue on the best way to go about providing public transportation. In Minneapolis, the LRT down to the MOA was a $1billion project, and people were against it as a boondoggle because it would be possible to purchase a fleet of buses dedicated to that same route, maintain and operate them for far less money than the LRT. Meanwhile the proponents wanted something that could be considered a permanent fixture, that couldn't be toyed with come future legislative sessions. Then the whole issue was ultimately decided because Governor Turnbuckle said on the radio, that I heard live, and I quote, "...and I want 494 to be less congested when I'm driving my Porsche," rendering any actual thoughtful debate on the point utterly and completely moot.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Snowflakes found in Louisiana

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/12/1...a-josh-collins
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X