PC Police: A New Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC Police: A New Low

Apparently it isn't just the US that is saddled with domestic PC police.....

A weird story about the Sioux that has nothing to do with North Dakota's hockey team:

The Associated Press reports that a UN “fact finder surveying the lives of Native Americans and Alaska Natives said Friday he’ll recommend in an upcoming report that some of the tribes’ lands be restored, including the Black Hills of South Dakota [including Mt. Rushmore]

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz1uwSGJrwN
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post

A weird story about the Sioux that has nothing to do with North Dakota's hockey team:

**** the tribes. If they wanted the land they shouldn't have gotten their asses kicked by us 150 years ago.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

He must have had some bad Custerd
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Before we begin the Double Jeopardy round, I'd like to ask our contestants once again to please refrain from using ethnic slurs.
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            And "chicanery."
            I think you pronounce chicanery differently than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
              I think you pronounce chicanery differently than I do.
              I don't. Other people are dumb enough to make the connection, hence my statement.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

A tip of the hat to Ray Bradbury, noted author who has been honored lately in whatever the Bring Out your Dead thread is called these days.

His most famous work is probably Fahrenheit 451, which is probably the first warning ever about PC police run amok (in our society, at least...can't speak for all of history), if I recall correctly....wasn't the rationale for the book burnings to eliminate any and all books that might offend anyone?

Here's a nice tribute to him as well:
                http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...54ripp2GhdLw1O

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

A tip of the hat to Ray Bradbury, noted author who has been honored lately in whatever the Bring Out your Dead thread is called these days.

His most famous work is probably Fahrenheit 451, which is probably the first warning ever about PC police run amok (in our society, at least...can't speak for all of history), if I recall correctly....wasn't the rationale for the book burnings to eliminate any and all books that might offend anyone?

Here's a nice tribute to him as well:
                  http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...54ripp2GhdLw1O
                  I've never heard of it interpreted that way before. I remember it being about government censorship of ideas.

Comment

I've never heard of it interpreted that way before. I remember it being about government censorship of ideas.
                    Right, I agree with that part, I meant more, why was the government censoring ideas?

Comment

• Re: PC Police: A New Low

The concept of books being banned wasn't due to censorship - they were banned because they were considered outdated in a society in which media (espeically TV), sports and a fast-paced lifestyle made them obsolete. At one point when books were still produced they were filled with advertising.

The main character (a firefighter) steals some and tries to convince his wife to read them but she argues they have no value. He believes society has degraded and that all people care about is the superficial. In fact it wasn't the government that began the practice of book burning at all. Bradbury wasn't making a statement about the government, but about its people, believe that we had become lifeless and soulless.
                      Last edited by Slap Shot; 06-07-2012, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Right, I agree with that part, I meant more, why was the government censoring ideas?
                        I knew what you meant. I've just never heard it interpreted that way before. Frankly, I don't remember it terribly well, so it is possible you're right, I just always thought of it more as the book-burning being an effort to prevent people from being mentally over-stimulated. I've thought of it more as about television and superficiality than social correctness.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          This commercial angers me. The weight of the word in question is FAR from the other words used as examples. New low, as far as I'm concerned.

Friend to friend, we're going to agree to disagree on this one.
                          /sister and cousin to persons with Autism, tired of that word being thrown at them
                          Always a Wildcat...
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

I knew what you meant. I've just never heard it interpreted that way before. Frankly, I don't remember it terribly well, so it is possible you're right, I just always thought of it more as the book-burning being an effort to prevent people from being mentally over-stimulated. I've thought of it more as about television and superficiality than social correctness.
                            i remember it pretty much as you descibe it, the "powers-that-be" (which is not necessarily the government....though it might be.....) don't want people thinking, period.

Comment

The news coverage of the Knockout Games stories is a bit weird.

The "Game" is being played in Hartford, New Haven, certain sections of Brooklyn. Most (but not all) of the victims tend to be named something like Goldstein or Rosenberg or Cohen. None of the stories ever mention the ethnicity of the attackers, yet when you see the video (nearly all of them have been filmed), there is a uniformity to said ethnicity that is always left unstated.

Leave it to the great Thomas Sowell to get right to the point. "This is no game, these are hate crimes."

Comment

The news coverage of the Knockout Games stories is a bit weird.

The "Game" is being played in Hartford, New Haven, certain sections of Brooklyn. Most (but not all) of the victims tend to be named something like Goldstein or Rosenberg or Cohen. None of the stories ever mention the ethnicity of the attackers, yet when you see the video (nearly all of them have been filmed), there is a uniformity to said ethnicity that is always left unstated.

Leave it to the great Thomas Sowell to get right to the point. "This is no game, these are hate crimes."
                                I can't wait for someone to catch these kids and charge them with a hate crime.

Comment

Working...
                                X