Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC Police: A New Low

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I think everyone is reading way too much into why I started this thread.

1. This particular PSA annoys me, yes, but overall it was the straw that broke the camel's back and finally made me say something.
    2. I'm just saying that while using "********" as an insult isn't exactly right, comparing it to words that disparage an entire race is ridiculous.

That's it. Nothing more. What next? Calling someone "four-eyes," "Fatty McFatterson," or whatever?
    Actually, there is a movement afoot to get the word "fat" tossed from our vocabulary as a hurtful insult to "heavy-set" people....did you know that apparently calling teen-age girls "fat" is now causing them to commit suicide?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7040459AAXGH2r

there are other links one could find as well if one searched for more than 30 seconds......
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Actually, there is a movement afoot to get the word "fat" tossed from our vocabulary as a hurtful insult to "heavy-set" people....did you know that apparently calling teen-age girls "fat" is now causing them to commit suicide?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7040459AAXGH2r

there are other links one could find as well if one searched for more than 30 seconds......
      That might be one of the most ******** things I've ever heard.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        That might be one of the most ******** things I've ever heard.
        Sounds pretty gay to me.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I think everyone is reading way too much into why I started this thread.

1. This particular PSA annoys me, yes, but overall it was the straw that broke the camel's back and finally made me say something.
          2. I'm just saying that while using "********" as an insult isn't exactly right, comparing it to words that disparage an entire race is ridiculous.

That's it. Nothing more. What next? Calling someone "four-eyes," "Fatty McFatterson," or whatever?
          "W_T_F... are you blind?"
          That one really pizzes Stevie Wonder off.
          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

A blind preacher, gay imam, and ******** rabbi walk into a bar with a fat teenage girl...
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

A blind preacher, gay imam, and ******** rabbi walk into a bar with a fat teenage girl...
              was she blonde?
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                was she blonde?
                "Blonde" stereotypically implies "dumb/ditzy." They prefer you use the term "brunette-challenged."
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

You forgot the priest attracted to altar boys.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 03-09-2012, 02:39 PM.
                  2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

NSFW:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVN_0qvuhhw

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                    -Blackadder
                    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                    -Casablanca
                    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Just don't do it.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                        I will never understand the use of the word ginger to describe red hair

Comment

A non-issue, IMHO. I've used to use that word in like manner in years past, but I can see their point in that there is absolutely no need to be inconsiderate of the unfortunate, however indirectly and unintentional. Times change, and people adapt with changes in society's norms. Many people are unable or unwilling to adapt, but they eventually die off - it's their own problem, anyhow. They can be as coarse as they want, and society judges them accordingly. But carry on.

Edit: it did take me some effort to discontinue using that term as disparaging. All you have to do is find a substitute word that does not insult anyone
                          Last edited by whatever; 03-11-2012, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                            I will never understand the use of the word ginger to describe red hair
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger
                            http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ginger
                            *****http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001294063/gilligans_island_ginger_tina_louise2_answer_2_xlar ge.jpeg ******

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger
                              http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ginger
                              *****http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001294063/gilligans_island_ginger_tina_louise2_answer_2_xlar ge.jpeg ******
                              I get that red hair isn't red, but it also isn't the color of ginger.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
                                I get that red hair isn't red, but it also isn't the color of ginger.

Pssssssst. Ginger is a character from Gilligan's Island. Ginger is the woman in the picture.
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X