Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PC Police: A New Low

duper:

What makes me mad about this commerical is that they are trying to say that a word that describes a certain condition of a small number of humans (in relation to the number of humans on this planet) is just as bad as a word that disparages an entire race. Exaggerate much? It's terrible, IMO>
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      duper:

What makes me mad about this commerical is that they are trying to say that a word that describes a certain condition of a small number of humans (in relation to the number of humans on this planet) is just as bad as a word that disparages an entire race. Exaggerate much? It's terrible, IMO>
      I get being irritated by the commercial. My thing aboput Shane Company (I'm guessing they have reached far enough outside Denver by now that everyone knows them, but if not their radio spots make a heavy implication that the only way to prove your love for your wife/girlfried/etc. is to buy her jewelry) was only half in jest. Those ads **** me off. But I suppose that they also have a purpose.

I agree that the racial epithets are worse, but in this day and age, although racism is by no means gone, I would bet that in a given day in a given school, more kids call each other ****** as an insult than any racial epithet. To me, that balances the severity out a little bit.

Comment

duper:

I think you are missing the point. The person who is hearing '******' doesn't really care if it is worse than the n word. They just feel bad at the insult, probably as bad as the black person. I would think the person who is offended, ie the mentally challenged person or the black person, shouldn't have to have a contest over who should be more offended. Saying everyone calls thier buddy that so it is OK, get over, it loses me completely. That sounds like something a teenager would say to excuse something dumb. My logic teacher would have fits. (Do they teach the course Logic in school anymore?)

Comment

seriously Brent? You're all bent out of shape over this?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            I think you are missing the point. The person who is hearing '******' doesn't really care if it is worse than the n word. They just feel bad at the insult, probably as bad as the black person. I would think the person who is offended, ie the mentally challenged person or the black person, shouldn't have to have a contest over who should be more offended. Saying everyone calls thier buddy that so it is OK, get over, it loses me completely. That sounds like something a teenager would say to excuse something dumb. My logic teacher would have fits. (Do they teach the course Logic in school anymore?)
            Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            seriously Brent? You're all bent out of shape over this?

This was what I was getting at originally. This is what the OP and a few others want to get excited about?

If you want to call your buddies retards or fags or whatever, knock yourself out. It's your right to be/sound ignorant. I've certainly done it myself although maturity and enlightenment has curbed that activity and I strive to find less universally offensive insults to throw at my buddies. I try to check myself and think, could this hurt someone who overhears it or would I want my teenage son to hear me using this language - and don't think I don't swear in front of him, I just try (and succeed) to refrain from racial terms and things like ****** the "c" word etc.

Just can't imagine what would cause someone to make this psa an issue. If you don't like it, just move along. It's not hurting anyone including blacks that some feel the need to defend as the more oppressed. Again...

Comment

I hate when people use the word and think people shouldn't use it.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                friendly warning - because I used to have the same attitude - you're in for a conflict when you call someone a ****** in front of the dad whose daughter actually is ******** and doesn't think she deserves any less respect because of it.
                No, I don't think you understand. These words have perfectly acceptable, non-offensive definitions and uses.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  No, I don't think you understand. These words have perfectly acceptable, non-offensive definitions and uses.
                  And almost no one uses them that way anymore. Plus there is a big difference between calling someone a "******" and saying someone's development has been ********. Just because words have acceptable meanings doesn't mean it isn't offensive to call something "gay" or "********" e.g. "that's so gay!" or "that's ********!"
                  Last edited by BassAle; 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

And almost no one uses them that way anymore. Plus there is a big difference between calling someone a "******" and saying someone's development has been ********.
                    There are other definitions, other than referring to people.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      There are other definitions, other than referring to people.
                      no ****. "gay" and "fag" have other definitions too. that doesn't mean they are OK to use as insults. Would it kill people to say "that's stupid" instead of "that's so gay" or "that's so ********"?

Comment

no ****. "gay" and "fag" have other definitions too. that doesn't mean they are OK to use as insults. Would it kill people to say "that's stupid" instead of "that's so gay" or "that's so ********"?
                        Kill people, no, but I don't really care how people use those words. I'm firmly in the "people need to grow some thicker skin" camp.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Yup.

My SIL has a relative that is ********, and I made some sort of joke about retardation. SIL snapped at me. I replied, "If people with 'mental disabilities' want to be treated like everyone else, like I'm sure they want to, then they get made fun of, too. How often do you hear 'That's mighty white of you?'" SIL didn't like that answer.

That was a really snappy comeback. Well played.

I am a volunteer coach for Challenger Baseball, which is little league for children with disabilities. Some are mentally disabled, others are physically, some are both. Been doing this for three years, since it's inception here in Madison.

What's been a universal theme for the families and the kids is the joy that they get from doing something that "normal" kids get to do.

What you're not getting is what it's like to realize that your child is never going to have the same opportunities that you had, that your other children have, that all other children have. These "retards" are never going to play regular little league, they're never going to date, go to prom, get married, have children of their own.

Can you imagine what that moment is like for a parent when they find this out? I've been told that it's crushing and that part of you dies. As a parent, you want the world for your kids, but you at least expect a "normal" existence for them.

What these parents have told, often while sobbing is how happy they are to see their little one on a baseball diamond, even if they really can't play baseball as we know it. Just to get that chance. Such a seemingly small thing.

And you're going to make stupid off the cuff remarks about people wanting to be treated equally and equate "******" with "mighty white of you?" Just to try and prove a point or be principled?

Even to equate this to being born black. Are you saying that being black is a disability? Sure, I can't imagine what it would be like to have most of society look at you as a sort of cockroach based upon the color of your skin, but you're not disabled because of it. You still get your shot at life, however poor the starting point.

Would you really rather be a kid with CP than a black kid?
                          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 03-09-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Some of this dialog reminds me of why it is nearly impossible to insult an Irish woman. She'd merely sniff, "consider the source" and turn her back on you.

Or as Forrest Gump's mother would so often remind him, "stupid is as stupid does."

Who's the real "******" here, the speaker or the recipient?
                            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I think everyone is reading way too much into why I started this thread.

1. This particular PSA annoys me, yes, but overall it was the straw that broke the camel's back and finally made me say something.
                              2. I'm just saying that while using "********" as an insult isn't exactly right, comparing it to words that disparage an entire race is ridiculous.

That's it. Nothing more. What next? Calling someone "four-eyes," "Fatty McFatterson," or whatever?
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I think everyone is reading way too much into why I started this thread.

1. This particular PSA annoys me, yes, but overall it was the straw that broke the camel's back and finally made me say something.
                                2. I'm just saying that while using "********" as an insult isn't exactly right, comparing it to words that disparage an entire race is ridiculous.

That's it. Nothing more. What next? Calling someone "four-eyes," "Fatty McFatterson," or whatever?
                                My mail was ******** yesterday.
                                "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                                Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                                The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                                Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Working...
                                X