PC Police: A New Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Police: A New Low

This commercial angers me. The weight of the word in question is FAR from the other words used as examples. New low, as far as I'm concerned.

Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Re: PC Police: A New Low

I can't imagine why you would waste time ranting about this.

My guess is that to someone who is developmentally disabled, the "R" word is just as heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
      I can't imagine why you would waste time ranting about this.

My guess is that to someone who is developmentally disabled, the "R" word is just as heavy.
      Comparing to "n***er" really got to me. After reading the book of the same name, one should really see the difference. I'm not saying "********" is not bad, but no way does it carry the same weight. No way.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Comparing to "n***er" really got to me. After reading the book of the same name, one should really see the difference. I'm not saying "********" is not bad, but no way does it carry the same weight. No way.
        In this case, I'm not sure it's worth getting undies in a bunch over semantics.

Again, to someone who is disabled, it probably carries the same weight.

Make your stand though if you feel the need.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          In this case, I'm not sure it's worth getting undies in a bunch over semantics.

Again, to someone who is disabled, it probably carries the same weight.

Make your stand though if you feel the need.
          I just rant sometimes. It's what I do.

Comment

This PSA is ********.

Comment

Especially as it started out purely as a technical, descriptive, non-judgmental diagnostic term. If you slow down a natural process, you "******" its development. Some long-established practitioners still use the term in its old-fashioned technical diagnostic sense and don't quite understand what the fuss is about.

It is only after people starting using the word colloquially, outside of its original context, that some people got their knickers in a twist.

It doesn't matter much what neutral, non-judgmental, technical, diagnostic term is used to replace it in clinical work (practitioners need to use some term to describe the condition, no?); in 20 years the same thing will have happened to that term and we'll be doing this dance all over again.
              Last edited by FreshFish; 03-07-2012, 10:09 AM.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Especially as it started out purely as a technical, descriptive, non-judgmental diagnostic term.
                So did the N word.

If this is what the reflexive anti-PC crowd is angry about, I'll pitch in with the oh so scary Statist PC Police.
                Last edited by Kepler; 03-07-2012, 10:29 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Mookie 2.0

Brent, stop being ********.

Comment

Between this and the recent billboards in Duluth, MN (http://unfaircampaign.org/) I'm sick of all this crap. This "PSA" was the final straw.

Comment

Between this and the recent billboards in Duluth, MN (http://unfaircampaign.org/) I'm sick of all this crap. This "PSA" was the final straw.
                      Gee...not too offensive. "It's hard to see racism when you're white." Bullcrap it is.

Unfair? How about those ridiculous generalizations scribbled on her face? Possibly the worst campaign / propaganda for any cause I've ever seen.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

If we're worrying this much about whether or not it's okay to say "********" and other such things, we've officially run out of serious problems as a society.

Comment

If a mentally challenged student is late for class is he tardy?
                          "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                          Groucho Marx
                          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                          Ron White
                          "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                          Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                            If a mentally challenged student is late for class is he tardy?
                            What if he's late again?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              So did the N word.

If this is what the reflexive anti-PC crowd is angry about, I'll pitch in with the oh so scary Statist PC Police.
                              You weren't always so sensitive about use of the word "******." Remember?
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                              X