Clear All

• Re: PC Police: A New Low

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ents-in-tears/
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Smith College - https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...y-requirement/
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Is it still called fascism if it's a restriction placed upon thought and not a religious or genetic difference? In about 20 years, we're going to see the current students holding a large portion of government jobs and elected offices, and we're seeing that they're not only willing, but actually taking strong arm tactics to push their agendas. If you don't ascribe to their exact belief system, you're not allowed into the party - you can't even be neutral.

Their colleges and universities are failing them.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Is it still called fascism if it's a restriction placed upon thought and not a religious or genetic difference? In about 20 years, we're going to see the current students holding a large portion of government jobs and elected offices, and we're seeing that they're not only willing, but actually taking strong arm tactics to push their agendas. If you don't ascribe to their exact belief system, you're not allowed into the party - you can't even be neutral.

Their colleges and universities are failing them.
          These things swing back and forth. There was ideological intolerance from the right on campus in the 50s. Now it's from the left and plenty of us on the left are aware of it and understand the need to change it. "Intolerance Studies" would be interesting. Liberals have a tendency to try to reduce everything to root systems with only extrinsic varieties, so we ought to be able to clean our own stable more easily than the right could. We have better tools and tendencies -- we just aren't bringing the analytic hammer down the way we should.
          Last edited by Kepler; 11-24-2015, 09:21 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

In the urban Mpls circles in which I run, I can't recall anyone born after say '60 or younger ever give a racial slur, such as the n* word. Frankly everyone of this generation or younger is very respectful of Hispanics, Hmong, and Somali. Guessing its a manifestation of 'Minnesota Nice'. Its PC that seems to work. Having said that, there could be some who don't feel the same way.

Edit: perhaps I should delete this post as I just noticed that someone shot a BLM protester on the north side.
            Last edited by 5mn_Major; 11-24-2015, 10:44 AM.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              In the urban Mpls circles in which I run, I can't recall anyone born after say '60 or younger ever give a racial slur, such as the n* word. Frankly everyone of this generation or younger is very respectful of Hispanics, Hmong, and Somali. Guessing its a manifestation of 'Minnesota Nice'. Its PC that seems to work. Having said that, there could be some who don't feel the same way.
              I've heard it, but very rarely. Maybe five or six times in my 31 years. I'm not including references to things like Blazing Saddles quotes.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Edit: perhaps I should delete this post as I just noticed that someone shot a BLM protester on the north side.
                First, you don't know from where the shooters originate. They could be Minnesotans or from another state, trying to make some grand political statement of some idiocy or another.

Second, I grew up in Apple Valley and Rosemount, on the edge of the suburbs and the then rural farm areas. I grew up hearing that word not a lot, but certainly not such a rare occurrence as it would be nothing. That was one of the areas where two different worlds were coming into conflict culturally.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I've heard it, but very rarely. Maybe five or six times in my 31 years. I'm not including references to things like Blazing Saddles quotes.
                  I heard it all the time in HS and in college, and in my adult life.

Now, if you want to clarify lyrics, quotes, "nig-GAH"* (which IS different in black culture), etc....we can do that, that's fine.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty3SArUjgvQ
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I heard it all the time in HS and in college, and in my adult life.

Now, if you want to clarify lyrics, quotes, "nig-GAH"* (which IS different in black culture), etc....we can do that, that's fine.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty3SArUjgvQ
                    Really? Where've you been?

Say I see RIP Old Pio...is that for real?
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Yes, Old Pio passed away this past May/June. We learned of it on the board just a short while ago.

Comment

My HS was rather diverse, shall we say. Quite a few "ers" and even more "ahs" forms of the word. Attended U of MN-Duluth after that, and although at the time they were prejudiced against the feather-Indians, they didn't like the brothas, either.

As for using the word in a non-slur situation, like quotes and such, I and many people I know do like some rap music, so lyrics come up quite a bit.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

As for using the word in a non-slur situation...
                          We recently had a kerfluffle in our state about the word "Negro", which is still part of the United Negro College Fund. The Spanish word for black was used to name a local landmark over a hundred years ago, and now a state senator wants that landmark re-named because he claims the word "Negro" is offensive to some people. I guess the people who run the College Fund didn't get the memo, senator? and what are all those Spanish-speaking people supposed to do when they want to describe the Oakland Raiders team colors?
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

My HS was rather diverse, shall we say. Quite a few "ers" and even more "ahs" forms of the word.
                            My HS was one third white, black and brown. From the kids I heard every possible permutation of every possible racial slur, for every possible purpose, every day. I never heard any adult use any type of slur (except gay slurs, which were ubiquitous. It was the 70s and people were still morons about that.)

Having lived in the northeast, mid-Atlantic, south (though not the deep south) and west, the only place I've ever heard adults use the n-word regularly as a disparaging term is Boston, where blue collars used it constantly as late as the 90s. Lower middle class whites in Boston were laughably racist. In Southie they never got the memo that the 50s are over.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 11-25-2015, 08:53 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              We recently had a kerfluffle in our state about the word "Negro", which is still part of the United Negro College Fund. The Spanish word for black was used to name a local landmark over a hundred years ago, and now a state senator wants that landmark re-named because he claims the word "Negro" is offensive to some people. I guess the people who run the College Fund didn't get the memo, senator? and what are all those Spanish-speaking people supposed to do when they want to describe the Oakland Raiders team colors?
                              Different pronunciation. Spanish is NAY-gro as opposed to NEE-gro.

But let's not have facts get in the way of your ignorant argument.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                Different pronunciation.
                                The written word??

It was a label on a map he was objecting to, not what people spoke. How many people read maps out loud??

and yes, it really is called the United Negro College Fund....http://invest.uncf.org
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X