• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Re: statistics question

Originally posted by pirate View Post
    I was unlucky enough to spend 4th of July weekend in a dry county in Kentucky 2 years ago...was able to drive to WV to get booze...one of the few times in history anybody has said "let me drive to WV, they are way more liberal over there".
    You drove in WV on July 4?

You are a far braver man than I. We live about 10 miles from the WV border, and we cower in the basement until the day is over. The fireworks blend seamlessly into the celebratory gunfire which blends seamlessly into the domestic disturbance gunfire.

*****http://www.jaunted.com/files/16133/WV_Drivers_License_385.jpg******
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pirate
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Dry county? Even 30% seems insanely high to me for "opposed to the consumptions of alcohol," this side of Tikrit.
    I was unlucky enough to spend 4th of July weekend in a dry county in Kentucky 2 years ago...was able to drive to WV to get booze...one of the few times in history anybody has said "let me drive to WV, they are way more liberal over there".

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    If by "New England" you mean "Connecticut." But then, last I knew they were considering joining the rest of us in opening on Sundays.
    I was going to say... when NYS still had their blue law about beer before noon, people went to Vermont to buy on Sunday morning.

Leave a comment:

• UncleRay
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    In New England, liquor stores are still closed on Sundays.
    If by "New England" you mean "Connecticut." But then, last I knew they were considering joining the rest of us in opening on Sundays.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHole12
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    There are people in Vermont? I thought it was just cows!
    Someone has to make the cheese and ice cream.
    They're pretty darn good at it too!

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    Learjet. Thank god the 1% are still buying airplanes - loving the trickle-down.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled, having grown up in SEC country and then living in Texas, LA, and Europe. FWIW, Kansas is many parsecs ahead of Vermont, which, as far as I know didn't even bother trying to have a strip club - and sometimes had trouble finding even a single candidate who wanted to compete in the various Miss Nation pageants.
    Now you know why I want to be sent out to the St. Paul regional so bad

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Perhaps I'm just spoiled, having grown up in SEC country and then living in Texas, LA, and Europe.
    Yes. You are spoiled. The year I spent in NC made me realize the, um, demographic limitations of most of the rest of the country.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Asked and answered.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Perhaps I'm just spoiled, having grown up in SEC country and then living in Texas, LA, and Europe. FWIW, Kansas is many parsecs ahead of Vermont, which, as far as I know didn't even bother trying to have a strip club - and sometimes had trouble finding even a single candidate who wanted to compete in the various Miss Nation pageants.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Hawker-Beech?

Hey, by unscientific sample I'd have put Kansas in particular and the Midwest in general near the top of the talent contest, though granted that sample is dominated by states east of the Mississippi and north of the Potomac -- America's Unattractiveness Belt.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

They've gotta drum up business somehow. Goodness knows the quality of the talent wouldn't be enough of a draw.

(still marooned in Wichita for work)
    Hawker-Beech?

Hey, by unscientific sample I'd have put Kansas in particular and the Midwest in general near the top of the talent contest, though granted that sample is dominated by states east of the Mississippi and north of the Potomac -- America's Unattractiveness Belt.

Leave a comment:

• LynahFan
    replied

Knew that from my days in Boston.

My only memory of the state of sin driving through Kansas was there more more signs on the interstate for gentlemen's clubs than anywhere else in the country.
    They've gotta drum up business somehow. Goodness knows the quality of the talent wouldn't be enough of a draw.

(still marooned in Wichita for work)

Is the statistic 30% who are explicitly opposed to alcohol, or 30% who choose not to partake themselves? I like to think there are still SOME people who don't believe that everybody ought to make exactly the same choices they do, but the evidence is pretty scant.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    You've never been to Kansas or Utah??

Knew that from my days in Boston.

My only memory of the state of sin driving through Kansas was there more more signs on the interstate for gentlemen's clubs than anywhere else in the country.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFish
    replied

Dry county? Even 30% seems insanely high to me for "opposed to the consumptions of alcohol," this side of Tikrit.
    You've never been to Kansas or Utah??

Leave a comment:

• amherstblackbear
    replied

I haven't really got anything to add. I'm just happy to see the thread on its 2nd page of comments.

I am home. Nerds unite! (or something )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X