Favorite Food or meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Food or meals

Wow I'm hungry after reading this thread, some great food on here. A few of my favorites:

Corned beef and cabbage
    Pork Chops and sauerkraut
    Thick Porterhouse steak cooked medium rare with a baked potato.
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Comment

duck fat.

Comment

I had a fraternity brother from Cheyenne Wells, CO. His dad was a rancher. And one time when he was in town for the National Western Stock Show, he took several of us to this place. Best steak I ever had. Read this review and tell me you wouldn't head over there at warp speed first chance you got.

http://www.westword.com/2004-06-10/r...aking-a-claim/
        Last edited by Old Pio; 02-29-2012, 12:50 AM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

btw imho almost nothing beats a properly made reuben or a cuban. They are few and far between, but when done right hummana, hummana...

And for a simple pleasure - the kids and wife out of the house, pb&j on white bread, chips and a large glass of ice cold milk in front of a football game.

Comment

Pasties. I kid you not. Love them.

In terms of the most memorable meals I've had at restaurants- it's a pretty close 2, but I remember one better than ther other:

#1- Pikayo, in the Museo de Arte, Puerto Rico (San Juan), Chef Willow Benett
            filet with foi gras and black truffels. wow. just wow.

#2 was a French restaurant in Montreal- Duck Breast with a cherry sauce. I know I fell in love with duck that night, but I recall more of the details of #1, since it was so incredibly good.

Cubano- there's a place in my wife's hometown that makes awesome Cubanos.. Not 100% traditonal, but really, really good.

I've been blessed with some great meals in my life, it's interesting to note which ones stick with me a long time. Those two are over 10 years in memory.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Pasties. I kid you not. Love them.
              Didn't know they came in edible form: NSFW

Comment

Chicken Satay - The best was at the Satay Club in Singapore (which unfortunately is no more).

Chicken Tikka Masala

A cheesesteak from Pat's (although there are other good ones).

A chile relleno from any restaurant other than the chain ones.

Kung pao crab from the DaChen Restaurant in ShanHua, Taiwan.
                Last edited by Hopkinja; 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM.
                Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Just a quality grilled burger and fresh cut fries from Yukon Gold spuds. That's all I need (and it's probably killing me.)
                  "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

From the most recent winner of Survivor, when her father showed up for the family visit episode: Reese's peanut butter, freshly baked banana bread, and a hamburger.

Comment

Haggis

A well marbled, dry aged, ribeye steak, thick cut, rare to medium rare (anything more the medium rare should be punishable by death), preferably with some mushrooms and possibly onions, not a single drop of any kind of steak sauce or, god forbid, ketchup. Serve it with some kind of potato, preferably mashed.

The ribeye could be substituted with a good chunk of prime rib or with a filet, and I wouldn't complain, just don't give me a sirloin or a T-bone.

I'm floored that someone doesn't like steak. I literally cannot comprehend this. My dad used to say the same thing, but he ordered every steak well done, hell, I'd rather eat hamburger helper than a well done piece of shoe leather. Once we got him to start to see the light, he enjoys his steaks much more.

Edit: I also like a little crumbled gorgonzola on my steak
                      Last edited by bigblue_dl; 02-29-2012, 10:15 AM.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                        I had a fraternity brother from Cheyenne Wells, CO. His dad was a rancher. And one time when he was in town for the National Western Stock Show, he took several of us to this place. Best steak I ever had. Read this review and tell me you wouldn't head over there at warp speed first chance you got.

http://www.westword.com/2004-06-10/r...aking-a-claim/
                        Man, you can't make me read something like that right before lunchtime! Now I'm going to eat way more than I normally would!
                        Cornell University Men's Hockey
                        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                          Man, you can't make me read something like that right before lunchtime! Now I'm going to eat way more than I normally would!
                          Sorry. Ate there once, 40 years ago, and remember it as though it was yesterday. Rich cattlemen aren't much on ambiance, but they do love good grub.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            Rich cattlemen aren't much on ambiance, but they do love good grub.
                            Hey now. I'm not rich, but I do fancy myself a cattleman.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              Hey now. I'm not rich, but I do fancy myself a cattleman.
                              Then you'd like this place. It's just coincidence the only cattleman I ever got to know was, way rich.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I'm floored that someone doesn't like steak. I literally cannot comprehend this.
                                Definitely not the first person to react this way to me.

It cracks me up, though. Steak is, like, the only thing on Earth that EVERYONE seems to like. I'm not overly fond of hamburgers, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X