• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer
    replied
    Re: Nascar 2012

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    How in the world did they manage to crash on the 2nd lap?
    You ever watch the Indy 500? If there's not a crash in the 1st two laps it's a minor miracle.

Leave a comment:

• hockeyplayer1015
    replied

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
    I'm sure it was the same as every wreck I saw after the red-flag restart: someone made a miscalculation, made light contact with a car ahead of them, initiating a spin in a pack, leading to cars strewn across the track (and sometimes infield) like bowling pins. There's nothing special about lap 2 that makes it less likely than any other lap to have a crash like that—in fact, I'd say it's more likely because various damage and mechanical issues hasn't thinned out the field yet so there are more cars in the pack.

(Which leads me to a totally unrelated question: we very occasionally talk about things being strewn, but when was the last time anyone talked about strewing something (i.e. using any other tense of the verb besides "strewn")?)
    Also, all 43 cars are still very close together, not enough time to spread out really.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Nice summary of the evening.

Leave a comment:

• Craig P.
    replied

How in the world did they manage to crash on the 2nd lap?
    I'm sure it was the same as every wreck I saw after the red-flag restart: someone made a miscalculation, made light contact with a car ahead of them, initiating a spin in a pack, leading to cars strewn across the track (and sometimes infield) like bowling pins. There's nothing special about lap 2 that makes it less likely than any other lap to have a crash like that—in fact, I'd say it's more likely because various damage and mechanical issues hasn't thinned out the field yet so there are more cars in the pack.

(Which leads me to a totally unrelated question: we very occasionally talk about things being strewn, but when was the last time anyone talked about strewing something (i.e. using any other tense of the verb besides "strewn")?)
    Last edited by Craig P.; 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

They say the popularity of the sport is starting to die. I have a solution.

Ramps. And fire. Ramps and fire.
    Land mines. Arm the drivers. Throw in a right turn.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

I missed the race up until they got the caution laps going after Montoya's blunder. How in the world did they manage to crash on the 2nd lap?
    Someone (I believe it was Sadler) got into the left rear quarter of the car in front of him and **** hit the fan.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied

They say the popularity of the sport is starting to die. I have a solution.

Ramps. And fire. Ramps and fire.

Now you may say that's crazy, but are you telling me you wouldn't like seeing a photo-finish involving two airborne cars that just jumped over a wall of fire? Exactly.

I missed the race up until they got the caution laps going after Montoya's blunder. How in the world did they manage to crash on the 2nd lap?

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Also, there are only 4 races a year where this is even an issue, but yeah, I could see the reasoning behind opening up the radiators a bit more. I just don't want to get to the point of having the 2 car tandems for the entire 200 miles, because that wasn't interesting to me at all. They need to find the right balance.
    Completely agree. While I thought the 2-car tandems were great in some situations, they were ultimately boring for the average fan.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, I guess it's a matter of preference. I'm hoping they open up the radiators a hair more. The thing that killed teams from moving up the outside was the cars getting too hot, having to move out of the line to cool off, only to cause a wreck. These cars are far too unstable to have that much lateral movement. You so much as look at the left rear wrong and you'll spin the car.
    Also, there are only 4 races a year where this is even an issue, but yeah, I could see the reasoning behind opening up the radiators a bit more. I just don't want to get to the point of having the 2 car tandems for the entire 200 miles, because that wasn't interesting to me at all. They need to find the right balance.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I really didn't think it was boring. Those last 30 laps were pretty good in my book. I loved to see the racing strategy between Kenseth and Biffle on all of the restarts. You'd think that Jr. could have slipped past on the low side if he and whoever was behind him at the time teamed up and made a push right when Kenseth went high to pick up Biffle, but that never happened. Oh well, I'd rather see Kenseth win than Jr. anyway.
    Yeah, I guess it's a matter of preference. I'm hoping they open up the radiators a hair more. The thing that killed teams from moving up the outside was the cars getting too hot, having to move out of the line to cool off, only to cause a wreck. These cars are far too unstable to have that much lateral movement. You so much as look at the left rear wrong and you'll spin the car.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Or horribly boring. Like this. Just terrible.
    I really didn't think it was boring. Those last 30 laps were pretty good in my book. I loved to see the racing strategy between Kenseth and Biffle on all of the restarts. You'd think that Jr. could have slipped past on the low side if he and whoever was behind him at the time teamed up and made a push right when Kenseth went high to pick up Biffle, but that never happened. Oh well, I'd rather see Kenseth win than Jr. anyway.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Hell of a teammate.
    Biffle NEEDS to go for the win there. I don't care if its his teammate in front of him. Its the Daytona freaking 500, you try to win the **** thing! That ****ed me off. I wish Hamlin would have had a dancing partner with him to go to the outside and pass all three of them.

Leave a comment:

• Craig P.
    replied

*****http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/43313.jpg******

Not mine, but I LOLed.

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaNorthStar
    replied
    Interesting that Kenseth and Biffle are teammates. Both have Minnesota sponsors.
    So does Montoya.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    They didn't want to pay the $$$ required to run the top level.
    That's what I'm guessing. IIRC, we got him when he was first starting out. I guess didn't believe in a long term investment. Whoops.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X