X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timothy A
    replied
    Re: USCHO Outdoors: The Fishing and Hunting Thread

I have been hammering the perch and white bass on Lake Mendota this year. The perch are usually 8-10" and the whitebass have been big, mostly 12-14". Also catching big smallies up to 19" while fishing for the perch and whitebass, it's been a really fun summer so far.

Next week we're going to Lake Wabagoon in S. Ontario for pike.

There have been many reports of big pike being casualties of the heat here in se WI. There were some dead 40"er's on this weed infested bass lake that I had almost no idea pike were in.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

anyone else doing much fishing this summer? having much success? If I wasn't up north for work, I probably wouldn't be doing much musky fishing because the water temps are so high. Lots of talk of not taking the fish out of water for photos, etc when fishing with water temps where they are up here.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Been out musky fishing a half dozen times on Lake Vermilion in Northern Minnesota and I finally caught my first musky of the year:
    *****https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/396843_766989150497_1442249147_n.jpg******

Also managed to help my coworker catch his first musky ever (38"):
    *****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532262_767023252157_502592305_n.jpg******]

A very fun night after some very frustrating trips with no luck!

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    I think it's a dumb idea. People have planned, made reservations, etc. based on the current date. And now as it has gotten cool again the spawning has slowed to where the early date could threaten the spawn on many lakes.

In other news, my kid is getting to go on a mentored turkey hunt near Redwing this weekend. Basically he gets to hunt with a guide who knows the area and will teach him and do the calling. I have to go along as guardian.
    I think its dumb overall, if they want to change it for a couple years and see how it goes, fine...Wisconsin's openers are earlier and it goes fine so the theory is there, its just dumb to make this decision at this time...

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Well the Minnesotausky Expo came and went ....and now I'm a but poorer than I was last week. A few new baits, a new T's Tackle box for the front, and a new net and I'm closer to being set. Can't wait for the season to start. Anyone in mn have thoughts on the proposed change to fishing opener?
    I think it's a dumb idea. People have planned, made reservations, etc. based on the current date. And now as it has gotten cool again the spawning has slowed to where the early date could threaten the spawn on many lakes.

In other news, my kid is getting to go on a mentored turkey hunt near Redwing this weekend. Basically he gets to hunt with a guide who knows the area and will teach him and do the calling. I have to go along as guardian.

Leave a comment:

• Proud2baLaker
    replied

Recored year for sturgeon in Wisconsin

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Well the Minnesotausky Expo came and went ....and now I'm a but poorer than I was last week. A few new baits, a new T's Tackle box for the front, and a new net and I'm closer to being set. Can't wait for the season to start. Anyone in mn have thoughts on the proposed change to fishing opener?

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Thorne Bros.?
    of course too bad its not "just down the street" like it was when I lived in Fridley before they moved to Blaine, north of US Highway 10

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

I'm pretty tech savvy. Just been frustrated with some lowrance proprietary stuff that doesn't follow standard gps convention. I plan on reading the manuals and probably watching a DVD. I also have a great place to go ask questions, my local musky shop.
    Thorne Bros.?

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Subscribed (for the hunting part of the title, I couldn't care less about fishing)

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

should have bought one when I did...$600 after rebate for an HDS7 (generation 1, now that Gen2 just came out).
    My plan is to wait for the technology to advance and then come down in price, as it usually does on the locator front. But I also want something "easy" to use too. I don't have the patience to learn compliated stuff anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Haven't used one, but have heard good things... I know a lot of Lake Michigan guys that use them.... Key thing is that there is a learning curve with the newer units.... They can take a bit to learn to decipher all of the info they provide... If you aren't good with technology, they can be kinda frustrating to use... It's not a "plug and go" kind of device...
    I'm pretty tech savvy. Just been frustrated with some lowrance proprietary stuff that doesn't follow standard gps convention. I plan on reading the manuals and probably watching a DVD. I also have a great place to go ask questions, my local musky shop.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

Haven't used one, but have heard good things... I know a lot of Lake Michigan guys that use them.... Key thing is that there is a learning curve with the newer units.... They can take a bit to learn to decipher all of the info they provide... If you aren't good with technology, they can be kinda frustrating to use... It's not a "plug and go" kind of device...

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    No, but I want one BAD.
    should have bought one when I did...$600 after rebate for an HDS7 (generation 1, now that Gen2 just came out).

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

Anyone here have any experience with Lowrance HDS series of GPS/depthfinders?
    No, but I want one BAD.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X