Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Wore an orange t-shirt... just in case.

Good idea if in MN, two weeks to go for WI (I think).

Comment

Re: USCHO Outdoors: The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Good idea if in MN, two weeks to go for WI (I think).
      Bow hunting is open now - gun hunting is week of Thanksgiving.

Comment

Bow hunting is open now - gun hunting is week of Thanksgiving.
        And you're worried about someone shooting you bow hunting if you don't wear orange?
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          And you're worried about someone shooting you bow hunting if you don't wear orange?
          The only people that would shoot you with a bow are going to shoot you regardless of if you have orange or not.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Not 99.9% of people, no.

Doesn't hurt to be seen from a distance at this time of year though, as long as it's not by the trout.

Heard some shots in the distance, so rural folk were practicing at least.

Comment

My buddy got one today a few miles from where I was btw.

His land and apparently a buck that they wanted to cull coz his rack isn't big enough... get him out of the gene pool.

Cool! Love getting venison.

Comment

What about the pheasant hunter or waterfowl hunters? as he said it doesn't hurt to be seen.
                Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
                  What about the pheasant hunter or waterfowl hunters? as he said it doesn't hurt to be seen.
                  I suppose not but shutgun rounds aren't going very far...bullets go miles and gun deer hunters can act pretty stupid when seeing a little bit of brown or movement. There is nothing wrong with being seen but I'm not going to be worried about pheasant or small game hunters because they need to be within 50ish yards of me to cause damage and they're not looking for something on the ground or in the water...they're looking up at something flying.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
                    Let them have their moment of telling me something about bow hunting that I already know.

I thought that the big smiley would have clued that I was mostly joking.

I wasn't concerned going out there or I wouldn't have gone. I did wear orange though so that anyone that I'd encounter would see me coming. Didn't need camo for fishing.

I was far more concerned of wandering through someone's active area and screwing it up for them. Was scanning the tree tops for anyone harnessed in but seemed unlikely as the sporadic tree line that covered parts of the river was never more than 50 yards wide. Saw no one.

Comment

Let them have their moment of telling me something about bow hunting that I already know.

I thought that the big smiley would have clued that I was mostly joking.

I wasn't concerned going out there or I wouldn't have gone. I did wear orange though so that anyone that I'd encounter would see me coming. Didn't need camo for fishing.

I was far more concerned of wandering through someone's active area and screwing it up for them. Was scanning the tree tops for anyone harnessed in but seemed unlikely as the sporadic tree line that covered parts of the river was never more than 50 yards wide. Saw no one.
                      We had a scary moment a few years ago deer hunting. Making a drive, and suddenly, some in our group came across 3 Hmong guys, with rifles, in full camo, during deer season. They were on private property, and had no sense of property rights, didn't think we could tell them to leave. This was right after that Hmong guy shot the hunting group in western WI a few years back. We just got out the woods, and back to the truck as quickly as we could, and called the game warden. The game warden found their cars, and was waiting for them, and cited them/confiscated their weapons, since they were breaking several laws. But I don't think anything major ever happened to them.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        We had a scary moment a few years ago deer hunting. Making a drive, and suddenly, some in our group came across 3 Hmong guys, with rifles, in full camo, during deer season. They were on private property, and had no sense of property rights, didn't think we could tell them to leave. This was right after that Hmong guy shot the hunting group in western WI a few years back. We just got out the woods, and back to the truck as quickly as we could, and called the game warden. The game warden found their cars, and was waiting for them, and cited them/confiscated their weapons, since they were breaking several laws. But I don't think anything major ever happened to them.
                        And your zone is shotgun only, right? So even the rifles were illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          And your zone is shotgun only, right? So even the rifles were illegal.
                          Yes, it was a shotgun only zone.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            That sucks.

Hadn't even thought of running into something like that, but once again, to my benefit if they see me coming so they can avoid me if they are poaching and know that they are poaching.

The areas of the stream that I'm going to are less than 100 yards from county roads and often less than 30, so unlikely, but anyway...

Comment

Here's something I don't know about hunting though...

Would hunters generally avoid river and stream areas so that they're target couldn't end up in the water should it be able to run a bit?

Was watching a bow hunting show a couple days ago and the kill shot was so perfect that the buck didn't even lurch - just fell right over. Obviously that's the goal, but doesn't always happen.

Comment

Here's something I don't know about hunting though...

Would hunters generally avoid river and stream areas so that they're target couldn't end up in the water should it be able to run a bit?

Was watching a bow hunting show a couple days ago and the kill shot was so perfect that the buck didn't even lurch - just fell right over. Obviously that's the goal, but doesn't always happen.
                                I would guess the opposite, animals like to be near water, hunters would be more likely to setup near where a water source is.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X