Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Outdoors: The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    you ever try trolling crawler harnesses?
    This guy I work who trolls Erie with 4 other boats for a week in late May with harnesses and they limit out every day sometimes by 10 am. They rarely keep an eye under 20". I'm not set up for trolling, but if I were I'd be trolling crawler harnesses all over SE WI.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Posted this in the travel thread but thought I might get more info from this one.

My son (16) and I will be doing some driving tours of the east coast from NYC to Boston and he'd like to try to fish. I don't plan to bring any of my freshwater tackle with us. Wonder if anyone has any suggestions. We may have to charter or find a party boat to fish. Don't want to spend a fortune for the two of us to fish for a few hours when we really can't keep any of our catch (no place to store or prepare it). Are there shops that rent salt water tackle for shore/surf/breakwater fishing?

Thanks for any tips.

Comment

Can't speak for up in New England directly, but I have had fun fishing off of piers in South Carolina and Florida... In both locations, there were tackle shops on the piers that sold basic bait, terminal tackle, and other accessories... They also rented rod/reel combos... Because they are considered "commercial fishing operations", you also had your daily license covered when you bought your fishing pass to be on the pier... Rental combos ran $20-25 and included the fishing pass in FL... Rentals are the same in SC, but you needed to get the fishing pass as well... You might want to get some extra terminal tackle as snags are gonna happen...
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          Can't speak for up in New England directly, but I have had fun fishing off of piers in South Carolina and Florida... In both locations, there were tackle shops on the piers that sold basic bait, terminal tackle, and other accessories... They also rented rod/reel combos... Because they are considered "commercial fishing operations", you also had your daily license covered when you bought your fishing pass to be on the pier... Rental combos ran $20-25 and included the fishing pass in FL... Rentals are the same in SC, but you needed to get the fishing pass as well... You might want to get some extra terminal tackle as snags are gonna happen...
          Found out there are party boats on Long Island with tackle and bait included. Thanks for the info.

Comment

So this weekend was the start of the 2014 Wisconsin Sturgeon Spearing season. I felt very fortunate going into the season my group (4 of us, my dad, my sister, my dad's friend and I) had won the lottery to be one of 500 spearers able to do our spearing on the upriver lakes. This normally means your odds of getting one go up pretty dramatically compared to Winnebago. To give you an idea, the season closed today after 3 days and 341 of the 469 license holders got a sturgeon up there. Well, in my 2 days that I was able to spear, I didn't even see one. This morning however, my sister got her second sturgeon ever and it was a big one! ~71" and 89 lbs. What a proud big brother I am today.
            http://www.techhockeyguide.com/wp-co.../02/image.jpeg
            Pretty sweet and it's eggs are ripe so we'll have free caviar this year!

In other news, I'm going to Punta Cana in a couple weeks, anyone ever been there and done some deep sea fishing?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

produced a fishing video for my trip to lake of the woods this year, check it out...it might be a little NSFW with some of the language at the beginning and in some of the music I used, so mute if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jtr4b7A-TY
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

A little surprised that this thread doesn't get more action.

Had a huge season trout fishing the Driftless Area west of Madison.

I grew up trout fishing near our property in Northern Wisconsin and in college while at LaCrosse, but had never pursued it down here. What a missed opportunity over these past 22 years that I've been in Madison.

40 minutes west of me are playgrounds of trout fishing waters. I wasn't skunked all year when I went over there. If I liked to eat trout, I could have a freezer full and then some.

The streams near Madison, while convenient, lack in not only fish numbers, but in the natural beauty and serenity of the Driftless.

Season closed yesterday and I had boots in the water at dawn and made my last cast around 5:00. Hit 7 stretches on 4 different streams/rivers. Caught 15-20 brownies and that wasn't even my best day of the year.

Already looking forward to a decent day in January when I can go back out for early season catch and release.

Comment

Gurt, have you ever stooped to using the mop fly?

Comment

Had to Google "mop fly."

Thought you were having a go at me.

Speaking of stooping... I trout fish with ultralight setups and Panther Martins.

I know there's a snobbish and zen angle to fly fishing and I can see learning it at some point, but I haven't yet.

At least I don't use live bait like some of my friends.

Then again, I'm 100% catch and release and they keep what they can.

My best fish this season...

Got him last week and was the only fish of the day as it was high pressure and the brownies weren't having any of it.

22 inches and a great fight. Didn't clean off the grass as was hurrying to get him back in the water and was afraid to dip him first coz he might get away.

Was right coz he took off with a strong kick.
                    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 10-17-2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

That's a big fish on an ultralight coz you can't lift him.

Had to quickly find a shallow little break on the bank to drag him to.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        That's a big fish on an ultralight coz you can't lift him.

Had to quickly find a shallow little break on the bank to drag him to.
                        Nice fish. The battles in the fly fishing community over the mop fly are hilarious. A lure that works too well, how dare they!

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          Nice fish. The battles in the fly fishing community over the mop fly are hilarious. A lure that works too well, how dare they!
                          I can imagine.

Those people (fly only snobs) clearly look down on me - not that I care as I haul in fish after fish.

One of these times I'm gonna have a bobber floating on a Zebco to really chap them.

I will say that one of the browns I got on Saturday was clearly tracking my cast as it hit just as the Martin hit the surface. They are amazingly fast fish - little freaking torpedoes.

All that said, I can honestly see myself going that direction at some point as a way of expanding the experience.

Comment

Making plans to try the salmon run on Lake Michigan tributaries next week. Probably go south of Milwaukee.

Have never done it, but am intrigued.

Gonna need to take heavier tackle. Should be able to have a go at Lake browns and steelhead (rainbows) and I think Coho.

Believe the Chinook are already done.

Excited to try for a biggun.

Comment

Found a stream on maps west of Madison that looked like it should have trout, but isn't classified by the state - meaning I can fish it out of season as long as I don't keep any. It's not a trout stream according to the DNR.

Went this morning for a couple hours and there were brownies galore although they were mostly just nibbling and following today instead of hammering like they often do.

Got a few though and was a beautiful day (sunny and 65) to wrap up the (trout) year if I don't get out again.
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 11-07-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Wore an orange t-shirt... just in case.

Comment

Working...
                                X