Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Outdoors: The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Well the Minnesotausky Expo came and went ....and now I'm a but poorer than I was last week. A few new baits, a new T's Tackle box for the front, and a new net and I'm closer to being set. Can't wait for the season to start. Anyone in mn have thoughts on the proposed change to fishing opener?
    I think it's a dumb idea. People have planned, made reservations, etc. based on the current date. And now as it has gotten cool again the spawning has slowed to where the early date could threaten the spawn on many lakes.

In other news, my kid is getting to go on a mentored turkey hunt near Redwing this weekend. Basically he gets to hunt with a guide who knows the area and will teach him and do the calling. I have to go along as guardian.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      I think it's a dumb idea. People have planned, made reservations, etc. based on the current date. And now as it has gotten cool again the spawning has slowed to where the early date could threaten the spawn on many lakes.

In other news, my kid is getting to go on a mentored turkey hunt near Redwing this weekend. Basically he gets to hunt with a guide who knows the area and will teach him and do the calling. I have to go along as guardian.
      I think its dumb overall, if they want to change it for a couple years and see how it goes, fine...Wisconsin's openers are earlier and it goes fine so the theory is there, its just dumb to make this decision at this time...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Been out musky fishing a half dozen times on Lake Vermilion in Northern Minnesota and I finally caught my first musky of the year:
        *****https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/396843_766989150497_1442249147_n.jpg******

Also managed to help my coworker catch his first musky ever (38"):
        *****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/532262_767023252157_502592305_n.jpg******]

A very fun night after some very frustrating trips with no luck!
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

anyone else doing much fishing this summer? having much success? If I wasn't up north for work, I probably wouldn't be doing much musky fishing because the water temps are so high. Lots of talk of not taking the fish out of water for photos, etc when fishing with water temps where they are up here.

Comment

I have been hammering the perch and white bass on Lake Mendota this year. The perch are usually 8-10" and the whitebass have been big, mostly 12-14". Also catching big smallies up to 19" while fishing for the perch and whitebass, it's been a really fun summer so far.

Next week we're going to Lake Wabagoon in S. Ontario for pike.

There have been many reports of big pike being casualties of the heat here in se WI. There were some dead 40"er's on this weed infested bass lake that I had almost no idea pike were in.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

This is a crazy fishing video, for more info, here is where it was posted:
              http://therockyriver.com/bull-shark-...ch-below-dock/

Comment

Does anyone here black powder hunt? Im really thinking about it after last years gun deer season where I missed the opportunity to bag 4 bucks due to being in a non rifle zone, one I was counting points from a good 75 yards +
                Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Canada was AWESOME. The biggest pike was 37 1/2. We were hoping for a 40 or 2, but the 37's and 36's are really stout fish and very powerful. We also hooked into 4 muskies, landing 2, a 53 and a 42. One of the missed fish was close to 50 and the other was in the 40's. Wabagoon has really stained water, so you could catch walleyes @ noon on a clear day in 3 fow. We also are smallmouth for the first time and it was delicious, a very firm fish, reminding me of cod or haddock. I will be keeping more of those. It was truly and experience of a lifetime.

I was shocked how easy it was to get across the border @ International Falls. The Canuck on the way in just wanted 1 form of ID, the US guy on the way back only wanted 1 form of ID and didn't even check our coolers to ensure we didn't over-bag. I was expecting to get hassled on the way in. That sure is a weird place for a border crossing with the mill on both the US and Canuck sides of the water there and pipes running between the 2.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Getting ready to head down to the White and Norfolk Rivers in Arkansas in a few weeks for 4 days of trout fishing with a few friends. Even though I have tons of flies already tied up for the trip I'm going to be spending lots of my free time tying more. Mostly be using midges, wolly buggers and maybe some egg flies. Might also use some hopppers and or caddis with a midge dropper behind or some other small nymphs or scuds as well.

Below are a few of the boxes I will be taking down. The midge box has almost 300 midges in it from size 22 up to I think 16 maybe a 14 or two in there. Most are 18 or 20. The egg box is bit more full now but the most likely fly I use from the are the eggs that have been tied on small jig heads. For some reason the trout absolutely eat those up. Caught lots of nice trout last year in November down there including a 17 inch male brown that has some gorgeous coloring. Wish I had gotten a pic of that.

*****http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/582497_622115374674_1791699686_n.jpg******
                    *****http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/550597_622118433544_1846615671_n.jpg******
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I had a great week on Lake of the Woods at the end of August, 4 of us managed to catch 26 muskies including the biggest catch of the year at the resort we're staying at...a 49" musky. I managed to tie my dad with 11 and my fiancee caught her first 2 muskies ever including a 44" fish. While we were up there, Muskies Inc. had a huge tournament with 50+ teams from Muskies Inc chapters all over the country. Each team is allowed to have 6 members and fishing hours were 6am-6pm on 2 days and 6am-12pm on the 3rd day. A group of guys staying at the same lodge won the tournament and my group of 4 would have finished in 7th based on the 6 fish we caught during the tournament hours. Great trip all around, except for busting up a prop...oh well, lesson learned.

49 inchers:
                      *****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/574730_780639904277_1638226849_n.jpg******

Fiancee's 2nd fish:
                      *****https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/538761_780639829427_915937306_n.jpg******

Comment

Ive never caught a muskie. I would love for my first to be on a fly rod though...haha. I do have some big flies tied up that I wanted to use for northern pike trip that never ended up getting to go on. If I am still in my current location come spring I may have to try to get to nearby tailwater area that typically has muskie prowling through there at that time of year and finally try to get one.

Nice fish though.

Comment

Muskie assassins, indeed.

Comment

Been fishing as of late, but haven't done a whole lot for Salmon this year... Still searching for my first Chinook of the Fall.... Weather has them about 2 weeks behind normal.... Going to pull an all-nighter out on the pier in Waukegan, IL tonight in search of that first Chinook...

Also had a few questions about trap/skeet shooting... While looking for something to do while in Green Bay for the NMU/Wisconsin series I came across a place that has a nice sporting clay course... After looking through their website, it seems like a cool thing to try out... I haven't shot a gun since before I went to college though, and my buddy, who is also a noob, would be the one going with me... Do you think we would need any kind of certification/training to do this? Their website just states that they offer rental guns... No listing of requirements in order to rent...

Despite both of us being noob shooters, we've been around firearms before, so passing "Shooting 101" wouldn't be difficult... We're just not active shooters and see this as a cool way to spend an afternoon... Just wondering if anyone shoots regularly and can offer any insight into this....
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              Been fishing as of late, but haven't done a whole lot for Salmon this year... Still searching for my first Chinook of the Fall.... Weather has them about 2 weeks behind normal.... Going to pull an all-nighter out on the pier in Waukegan, IL tonight in search of that first Chinook...

Also had a few questions about trap/skeet shooting... While looking for something to do while in Green Bay for the NMU/Wisconsin series I came across a place that has a nice sporting clay course... After looking through their website, it seems like a cool thing to try out... I haven't shot a gun since before I went to college though, and my buddy, who is also a noob, would be the one going with me... Do you think we would need any kind of certification/training to do this? Their website just states that they offer rental guns... No listing of requirements in order to rent...

Despite both of us being noob shooters, we've been around firearms before, so passing "Shooting 101" wouldn't be difficult... We're just not active shooters and see this as a cool way to spend an afternoon... Just wondering if anyone shoots regularly and can offer any insight into this....
                              I would guess that you would have had to have completed a firearms safety course. The same kind of course that is now required to get a hunting license in some states. For example, on the back of my drivers license it says that I have completed firearms safety training.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I would guess that you would have had to have completed a firearms safety course. The same kind of course that is now required to get a hunting license in some states. For example, on the back of my drivers license it says that I have completed firearms safety training.
                                Actually, hunting on game farms or shooting trap does not require any kind of hunter safety course completion, a specific play may require it but it is not required. Best to call the place and ask them directly.

Comment

Working...
                                X