USCHO Outdoors: The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCHO Outdoors: The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Since I think the last fishing/hunting thread got purged from the system and I can't seem to find a new one, here I go creating a new one. It's that time of year again for the annual Sturgeon Spearing season on Lake Winnebago in central Wisconsin. I did not get a tag this season but I still get updated from my dad and the Wisconsin DNR on how things are going. Things have been slow so far, but today, someone managed to spear a 175+ pound sturgeon:
    *****https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=569952a8c5&view=att&th=13578a10d1183de9&attid=0.3&disp=emb&zw******
    The 78.5 inch female sturgeon was speared by Mikey Galligan of Oshkosh, WI. This fish currently holds the honor of being the 6th largest fish by weight on record since the fishery began on Lake Winnebago in 1932.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Re: USCHO Outdoors: The Fishing and Hunting Thread

How's the ice up that way? We never even saw the start of the season down here in Chicago....
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      How's the ice up that way? We never even saw the start of the season down here in Chicago....
      It's not great. The number of shacks is a quarter of the peak last year, not alot of save ice out there. Guys are using atvs and snow mobiles to get around on the lake for the most part.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Ive heard its been a bad year for ice pretty much all over. Last year I did tons of ice fishing in Northern Indiana for the 2 weeks I was home at Christmas (was on 5-8 inches of ice depending on body of water). This year I dont think anyone got out for more than a day or two at a time and even then it was on 3 inches or so and only on certain waters. I did get lucky that a long dock was put in the small private lake i have access too. It sticks out into water about 13 feet deep at the end (its going to be used for cage culture of hybrid striped bass but we haven't put cages in yet. I was able to go out on it a few times so far and "ice fish" off it using my finder and ice rods and presentations. It acutally worked fairly well. Ive caught some catfish and bluegill as well as one crappie and one hybrid stripper. I know if the dock was down the shore about 50 yards it would have been even better (would have been over an area that transistions from normal clay bottom to boulders and rip rap. When we managed fishable ice a few years ago for a few weeks we absolutely nailed the fish in that area.

I've been tying a fair number of flies and hope to actually do more fly fishing this spring and summer than I did last summer. I'd like to get in at least one more trip to the White River in Arkansas this year too. Got 2 in last year. The first one in March I caught way more fish but the 2nd in November produced some larger fish including a nice 16 inch brown and a few 17 inch rainbows. I'm learning a bit more about midging too which is a very productive method down there and I have accumualted quite the arsenal of size 18-22 midges. For some reason I really like tying those. They are simple in that there are not many materials involved but the size does make it challenging as well.

Comment

Anyone here have any experience with Lowrance HDS series of GPS/depthfinders?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Anyone here have any experience with Lowrance HDS series of GPS/depthfinders?
            No, but I want one BAD.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              No, but I want one BAD.
              should have bought one when I did...$600 after rebate for an HDS7 (generation 1, now that Gen2 just came out).

Comment

Haven't used one, but have heard good things... I know a lot of Lake Michigan guys that use them.... Key thing is that there is a learning curve with the newer units.... They can take a bit to learn to decipher all of the info they provide... If you aren't good with technology, they can be kinda frustrating to use... It's not a "plug and go" kind of device...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  Haven't used one, but have heard good things... I know a lot of Lake Michigan guys that use them.... Key thing is that there is a learning curve with the newer units.... They can take a bit to learn to decipher all of the info they provide... If you aren't good with technology, they can be kinda frustrating to use... It's not a "plug and go" kind of device...
                  I'm pretty tech savvy. Just been frustrated with some lowrance proprietary stuff that doesn't follow standard gps convention. I plan on reading the manuals and probably watching a DVD. I also have a great place to go ask questions, my local musky shop.

Comment

should have bought one when I did...$600 after rebate for an HDS7 (generation 1, now that Gen2 just came out).
                    My plan is to wait for the technology to advance and then come down in price, as it usually does on the locator front. But I also want something "easy" to use too. I don't have the patience to learn compliated stuff anymore.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Subscribed (for the hunting part of the title, I couldn't care less about fishing)
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I'm pretty tech savvy. Just been frustrated with some lowrance proprietary stuff that doesn't follow standard gps convention. I plan on reading the manuals and probably watching a DVD. I also have a great place to go ask questions, my local musky shop.
                        Thorne Bros.?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                          Thorne Bros.?
                          of course too bad its not "just down the street" like it was when I lived in Fridley before they moved to Blaine, north of US Highway 10

Comment

Well the Minnesotausky Expo came and went ....and now I'm a but poorer than I was last week. A few new baits, a new T's Tackle box for the front, and a new net and I'm closer to being set. Can't wait for the season to start. Anyone in mn have thoughts on the proposed change to fishing opener?

Comment

Recored year for sturgeon in Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
                              X