X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proud2baLaker
    replied
    Re: USCHO Outdoors: The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Got down to Arkansas to fish the Norfork River over the weekend (fished mostly the catch and release areas). Lots and lots of trout to be caught. Most of the rainbows are the same size at 10-12 inches but you can get lucky and pull one that is 15-16 inches out every now and then. There are much bigger fish to be had as well as I have seen 20+ inch rainbow trout caught out of there. We fly fished pretty much entirely. Caught them on midges, wolly buggers and some nymph patterns mostly. On the last day we could not wade anymore as they turned on the generators (the Norfork and White Rivers in Arkansas are tailwater rivers so when they open up generators to produce power the rivers get to high to wade). But we were able to rent a boat and we drifted through some good waters over and over drifting egg patterns and nymphs. Didnt get the numbers we normally get when wading but the size was bigger (most were 14-15 inches). I got my biggest fish of the trip while on the boat that was an 18 inch rainbow trout. The real treat on these rivers though is finding one of the brown trout and landing it. I managed to get the one below when I fished a riffle area after another guy left it (the rivers are very popular at times). On my third or fourth cast along some rocks near the shore this guy hit and fought hard. Had a friend just downstream of me fishing the lower end of the same riffle who snapped the picture. Here it is:

*****http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/622792_625597097274_45685835_o.jpg******

He took a size 20 midge. He is only 16 inches but is a beautiful fish.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Stopped by a buddy's house last night and he had just gotten back from fishing. Gave us a nice bag of bluegill and crappie filets. Guess what's for dinner tonight?

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Ah, opening day of duck season, my favorite family tradition. After a day out hunting we all come home and hang out with friends and family over homemade chicken soup and warm apple pie. I'll update later on how we do, season opens in just over an hour.

Leave a comment:

• Painted_Bandit
    replied

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Also had a few questions about trap/skeet shooting... While looking for something to do while in Green Bay for the NMU/Wisconsin series I came across a place that has a nice sporting clay course... After looking through their website, it seems like a cool thing to try out... I haven't shot a gun since before I went to college though, and my buddy, who is also a noob, would be the one going with me... Do you think we would need any kind of certification/training to do this? Their website just states that they offer rental guns... No listing of requirements in order to rent...

Despite both of us being noob shooters, we've been around firearms before, so passing "Shooting 101" wouldn't be difficult... We're just not active shooters and see this as a cool way to spend an afternoon... Just wondering if anyone shoots regularly and can offer any insight into this....
    If its the place north of Green Bay in Abrams, it's a really nice place but I dont remember if they require some type of certificate

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Actually, hunting on game farms or shooting trap does not require any kind of hunter safety course completion, a specific play may require it but it is not required. Best to call the place and ask them directly.
    I was actually thinking that I would expect the owner of the place to require it, for liability reasons. I wouldn't have expected it to be a law when you're shooting clays. I am a little surprised that you don't need firearm safety to hunt on game farms, though.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I would guess that you would have had to have completed a firearms safety course. The same kind of course that is now required to get a hunting license in some states. For example, on the back of my drivers license it says that I have completed firearms safety training.
    Actually, hunting on game farms or shooting trap does not require any kind of hunter safety course completion, a specific play may require it but it is not required. Best to call the place and ask them directly.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Been fishing as of late, but haven't done a whole lot for Salmon this year... Still searching for my first Chinook of the Fall.... Weather has them about 2 weeks behind normal.... Going to pull an all-nighter out on the pier in Waukegan, IL tonight in search of that first Chinook...

Also had a few questions about trap/skeet shooting... While looking for something to do while in Green Bay for the NMU/Wisconsin series I came across a place that has a nice sporting clay course... After looking through their website, it seems like a cool thing to try out... I haven't shot a gun since before I went to college though, and my buddy, who is also a noob, would be the one going with me... Do you think we would need any kind of certification/training to do this? Their website just states that they offer rental guns... No listing of requirements in order to rent...

Despite both of us being noob shooters, we've been around firearms before, so passing "Shooting 101" wouldn't be difficult... We're just not active shooters and see this as a cool way to spend an afternoon... Just wondering if anyone shoots regularly and can offer any insight into this....
    I would guess that you would have had to have completed a firearms safety course. The same kind of course that is now required to get a hunting license in some states. For example, on the back of my drivers license it says that I have completed firearms safety training.

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

Been fishing as of late, but haven't done a whole lot for Salmon this year... Still searching for my first Chinook of the Fall.... Weather has them about 2 weeks behind normal.... Going to pull an all-nighter out on the pier in Waukegan, IL tonight in search of that first Chinook...

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

Muskie assassins, indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Proud2baLaker
    replied

Ive never caught a muskie. I would love for my first to be on a fly rod though...haha. I do have some big flies tied up that I wanted to use for northern pike trip that never ended up getting to go on. If I am still in my current location come spring I may have to try to get to nearby tailwater area that typically has muskie prowling through there at that time of year and finally try to get one.

Nice fish though.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

I had a great week on Lake of the Woods at the end of August, 4 of us managed to catch 26 muskies including the biggest catch of the year at the resort we're staying at...a 49" musky. I managed to tie my dad with 11 and my fiancee caught her first 2 muskies ever including a 44" fish. While we were up there, Muskies Inc. had a huge tournament with 50+ teams from Muskies Inc chapters all over the country. Each team is allowed to have 6 members and fishing hours were 6am-6pm on 2 days and 6am-12pm on the 3rd day. A group of guys staying at the same lodge won the tournament and my group of 4 would have finished in 7th based on the 6 fish we caught during the tournament hours. Great trip all around, except for busting up a prop...oh well, lesson learned.

49 inchers:
    *****https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/574730_780639904277_1638226849_n.jpg******

Fiancee's 2nd fish:
    *****https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/538761_780639829427_915937306_n.jpg******

Leave a comment:

• Proud2baLaker
    replied

Getting ready to head down to the White and Norfolk Rivers in Arkansas in a few weeks for 4 days of trout fishing with a few friends. Even though I have tons of flies already tied up for the trip I'm going to be spending lots of my free time tying more. Mostly be using midges, wolly buggers and maybe some egg flies. Might also use some hopppers and or caddis with a midge dropper behind or some other small nymphs or scuds as well.

Below are a few of the boxes I will be taking down. The midge box has almost 300 midges in it from size 22 up to I think 16 maybe a 14 or two in there. Most are 18 or 20. The egg box is bit more full now but the most likely fly I use from the are the eggs that have been tied on small jig heads. For some reason the trout absolutely eat those up. Caught lots of nice trout last year in November down there including a 17 inch male brown that has some gorgeous coloring. Wish I had gotten a pic of that.

*****http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/582497_622115374674_1791699686_n.jpg******
    *****http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/550597_622118433544_1846615671_n.jpg******
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Proud2baLaker; 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

Canada was AWESOME. The biggest pike was 37 1/2. We were hoping for a 40 or 2, but the 37's and 36's are really stout fish and very powerful. We also hooked into 4 muskies, landing 2, a 53 and a 42. One of the missed fish was close to 50 and the other was in the 40's. Wabagoon has really stained water, so you could catch walleyes @ noon on a clear day in 3 fow. We also are smallmouth for the first time and it was delicious, a very firm fish, reminding me of cod or haddock. I will be keeping more of those. It was truly and experience of a lifetime.

I was shocked how easy it was to get across the border @ International Falls. The Canuck on the way in just wanted 1 form of ID, the US guy on the way back only wanted 1 form of ID and didn't even check our coolers to ensure we didn't over-bag. I was expecting to get hassled on the way in. That sure is a weird place for a border crossing with the mill on both the US and Canuck sides of the water there and pipes running between the 2.

Leave a comment:

• Painted_Bandit
    replied

Does anyone here black powder hunt? Im really thinking about it after last years gun deer season where I missed the opportunity to bag 4 bucks due to being in a non rifle zone, one I was counting points from a good 75 yards +

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

This is a crazy fishing video, for more info, here is where it was posted:
    http://therockyriver.com/bull-shark-...ch-below-dock/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X