Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Outdoors: The Fishing and Hunting Thread

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Actually, hunting on game farms or shooting trap does not require any kind of hunter safety course completion, a specific play may require it but it is not required. Best to call the place and ask them directly.
    I was actually thinking that I would expect the owner of the place to require it, for liability reasons. I wouldn't have expected it to be a law when you're shooting clays. I am a little surprised that you don't need firearm safety to hunt on game farms, though.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Also had a few questions about trap/skeet shooting... While looking for something to do while in Green Bay for the NMU/Wisconsin series I came across a place that has a nice sporting clay course... After looking through their website, it seems like a cool thing to try out... I haven't shot a gun since before I went to college though, and my buddy, who is also a noob, would be the one going with me... Do you think we would need any kind of certification/training to do this? Their website just states that they offer rental guns... No listing of requirements in order to rent...

Despite both of us being noob shooters, we've been around firearms before, so passing "Shooting 101" wouldn't be difficult... We're just not active shooters and see this as a cool way to spend an afternoon... Just wondering if anyone shoots regularly and can offer any insight into this....
      If its the place north of Green Bay in Abrams, it's a really nice place but I dont remember if they require some type of certificate
      Originally posted by Twitch Boy
      Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Ah, opening day of duck season, my favorite family tradition. After a day out hunting we all come home and hang out with friends and family over homemade chicken soup and warm apple pie. I'll update later on how we do, season opens in just over an hour.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Stopped by a buddy's house last night and he had just gotten back from fishing. Gave us a nice bag of bluegill and crappie filets. Guess what's for dinner tonight?

Comment

Got down to Arkansas to fish the Norfork River over the weekend (fished mostly the catch and release areas). Lots and lots of trout to be caught. Most of the rainbows are the same size at 10-12 inches but you can get lucky and pull one that is 15-16 inches out every now and then. There are much bigger fish to be had as well as I have seen 20+ inch rainbow trout caught out of there. We fly fished pretty much entirely. Caught them on midges, wolly buggers and some nymph patterns mostly. On the last day we could not wade anymore as they turned on the generators (the Norfork and White Rivers in Arkansas are tailwater rivers so when they open up generators to produce power the rivers get to high to wade). But we were able to rent a boat and we drifted through some good waters over and over drifting egg patterns and nymphs. Didnt get the numbers we normally get when wading but the size was bigger (most were 14-15 inches). I got my biggest fish of the trip while on the boat that was an 18 inch rainbow trout. The real treat on these rivers though is finding one of the brown trout and landing it. I managed to get the one below when I fished a riffle area after another guy left it (the rivers are very popular at times). On my third or fourth cast along some rocks near the shore this guy hit and fought hard. Had a friend just downstream of me fishing the lower end of the same riffle who snapped the picture. Here it is:

*****http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/622792_625597097274_45685835_o.jpg******

He took a size 20 midge. He is only 16 inches but is a beautiful fish.

Comment

Not hunting or fishing, but still pretty cool: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5516303
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

So I've been bitten by the "Gun Bug" and have made the decision to join the shooting world... Looking at picking up an Over/Under Shotgun... Mainly going to be shooting clays with a little bit of Pheasant duty as well... Still fairly early in the process, but right now I'm leaning towards Browning's offerings.... Probably a Citori, but the Cynergy is also a possibility... I can get 50% off one through work, so taking the price down to $1200-1500 from $2400-3000 is a big factor in this... Anyone here shoot an O/U or have any thoughts/reviews on the matter?

Might also look into a Remington 870 just because that will cover all other types of shooting I could encounter down the road for about $400...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

So I've been bitten by the "Gun Bug" and have made the decision to join the shooting world... Looking at picking up an Over/Under Shotgun... Mainly going to be shooting clays with a little bit of Pheasant duty as well... Still fairly early in the process, but right now I'm leaning towards Browning's offerings.... Probably a Citori, but the Cynergy is also a possibility... I can get 50% off one through work, so taking the price down to $1200-1500 from $2400-3000 is a big factor in this... Anyone here shoot an O/U or have any thoughts/reviews on the matter?

Might also look into a Remington 870 just because that will cover all other types of shooting I could encounter down the road for about $400...
                  An 870 wingmaster is an extremely reliable gun. It was my first gun when I was 12 and still use it for deer hunting where a shutgun is required. I have shot O/U before but don't own one. Great guns, typical for clays and pheasant. I can ask my dad his opinion this weekend while we're out pheasant hunting.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    An 870 wingmaster is an extremely reliable gun. It was my first gun when I was 12 and still use it for deer hunting where a shutgun is required. I have shot O/U before but don't own one. Great guns, typical for clays and pheasant. I can ask my dad his opinion this weekend while we're out pheasant hunting.
                    If you wouldn't mind asking your Dad for his opinions, it would be greatly appreciated.... I'm just trying to sort through the crap-ton of information that's out there right now... An O/U seems to be the right tool based on my needs, but it's also a steeper price of admission, so to speak, so just want to do my homework before investing... Thanks
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I'd sell you my 870, but I can't, that's one that the halfrican in chief doesn't know about, have to keep the unregistered ones just in case.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I would really like to get something hunting related for my uncle for x-mas since it is a bond we have. However, he already has pretty much everything you could need. Any ideas?
                        "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
                          I would really like to get something hunting related for my uncle for x-mas since it is a bond we have. However, he already has pretty much everything you could need. Any ideas?
                          Maybe instead of a piece of gear that he could use maybe something historic or maybe a book or something about hunting. Not neccessarily like a book with tips but something else. A few examples. I love fishing. I go to antique stores and what not looking for old fly rods and reels or old lures that I can display. I also like to buy old fishing books. I just picked one up the other day that was a "Complete Guide to Fishing in North America" from 1966. It is interesting to read about rivers and streams that are great fishing now but back then were considered polluted. I also recently bought an old Jim Beam bottle that had a trout shaped on the front and painted. I have repoductions of old tin signs (havent been able to find originals) too. Basically all kinds of stuff like that, which I plan on putting on my walls in my man cave / office. I also have fish paintings and a big one of a wood duck (though I dont hunt) hanging in my bedroom. Maybe something along those kinds of lines but related to hunting of course.

Comment

Finally decided to get a coyote rifle, after more than a year of wanting one. Found a cheap Savage .22-250 at Cabelas yesterday, which will work just fine for what I need. Also bought a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 scope, with BDC reticle. I downloaded the app to go with the scope, this thing is pretty sweet, I think I'm going to like the BDC. Have to get it sighted in on Saturday, then target shoot a little more to get familiar with the BDC, then hopefully go out coyote hunting saturday night.

edit: I'll be shooting Hornady Superperformance V-Max 50gr.
                            Last edited by bigblue_dl; 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

If you wouldn't mind asking your Dad for his opinions, it would be greatly appreciated.... I'm just trying to sort through the crap-ton of information that's out there right now... An O/U seems to be the right tool based on my needs, but it's also a steeper price of admission, so to speak, so just want to do my homework before investing... Thanks
                              My dad didn't have much of an opinion on which O/U to buy...sorry

Comment

If you don't want to spend the extra money for an over/under, there's nothing wrong with getting a decent pump action shotgun, which should be fairly cheap. Just get an 870, and call it good for now. If in 6 months, you are getting more into the sport, then start looking for an over/under.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X