Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Concert Thread • So ya, thought ya, might like to, go to the show...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Concert Thread • So ya, thought ya, might like to, go to the show...

I don't have nearly as many experiences as some who've posted here, but my most memorable (and recent) concert experience was the Foo Fighters at the Verizon Center in DC this past November. They put on a fine rock and roll show. Their entire set felt like an encore. Amazing energy, and Dave knows how to work a crowd.

Social Distortion opened for them, so that didn't suck either.

Comment

Def Leppard in 88 with opening act Tesla. Tesla was the better act musically. Leppard had an awesome stage show. That would probably be my #3.

So:

1. Kiss in 1979 and the reunion tour in c. 1995.
      2. Queensryche in 1991.
      3. Def Leppard / Tesla in 1988.

Kiss in 1979 and Def Leppard in 1988 were both at the old Met Center where the North Stars used to play.

Smaller Venue shows I'd have to pick.

1. Ace Frehley's Comet at First Avenue in c. 1987.
      2. Paul Stanley's Solo tour in 2008 at a club in Twin Cities area, forget the club name. Small place.

I've seen Metallica twice but neither of those shows are as memorable as the ones I listed above.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Been to many shows over the years. 1st was Beatles at the Met Aug 21,1965. God I wish I'd kept that Ticket stub. So you see I've been at it a while. Best of the last few years was Jeff Beck at the State last spring.Head and shoulders above anything else I went to last year. Mostly do club shows these days. Live music is the best.

Comment

Some of my favorite shows in no particular order...

Pink Floyd @ Camp Randall in 1994 • By far the best light show I ever saw. Man, I wish they'd tour again. The Pulse DVD captures it very well.

U2 @ Ames, Iowa in 1992 - ZooTV outdoor tour • Really liked the ZooTV tour for visuals and Achtung Baby was their best album. This was the best of the 3 Zoo shows that I saw.

U2 @ Rosemont Horizon 10/28 & 29/87 • U2 was my favorite band at this time and these were my first rock concerts. Stayed out drinking overnight to buy tickets with buddies. 17 years old. We thought we were so grown up. Ha!

Grateful Dead 9/6/91 Richfield, OH • Best Dead show I saw. Smokin' Fall tour in 91 and this show had many, many epic moments. I missed the first week of classes for this roadie and we camped in some forested campground. During the post show campfire, a skeleton on guitar and a demented monkey on bass sat in the branches above us and played along with the show on the boombox.

I'm sure I'm missing something that I really liked, but that's all I can think of right now.

Comment

Looking at checking out RHCP in Boston this summer, or Blink 182 in New Hampshire. Not too high on Blink. Im not a punk kid, or a 14 year old whore.
            Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
            1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
            2006-2007: 15-24-2
            2007-2008: 20-20-4
            2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Ive only ever been to a few concerts in my life: Wilco (@ Purdue fall 2007? or maybe 06); Farm-Aid (St Louis 2009 I believe...went mostly for Wilco); Wilco (South Bend summer 2010..easily my favorite show Ive seen...also notice a trend?) and the last one was My Morning Jacket in Indianapolis in August 2011. Ive seen shows at small bars and stuff but those other 4 are really all Ive seen as far as real concerts. I dont really like huge crowds so it has to be a band I really want to see. I'm also usually broke and dont have tons of spare time so it has to be close to where I am living or coincide with a vacation or time I have money. The first Wilco show was a gift from my brother who is also a big Wilco fan. The Farm-Aid show was only 2 hours away in St Louis so it was an easy drive there and back in the same day. The other Wilco show as a gift back to my brother and it happened while I was home for a visit with family. Same story with My Morning Jacket (family lives in NE Indiana).

Comment

a small sampling...

Guns n Roses
                Allman Brothers Band
                Foo Fighters w/ Kid Rock, Primus, and Bustah Rhymes 1999
                John Butler Trio
                Amos Lee
                Wilco
                Rage Against the Machine
                Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
                G Love & Special Sauce
                State Radio
                Black Crowes
                Blues Traveler
                Rusted Root
                Carbon Leaf
                The Decemberists
                Pearl Jam
                Nirvana
                Ray Lamontagne
                Ryan Adams & the Cardinals
                Swollen Members

Comment

Not in order:

AC/DC (three times)
                  Pearl Jam (twice)
                  Bad Religion (three times)
                  Rancid
                  Cake (twice)
                  Metallica
                  Kid Rock
                  The Cure (three times)
                  The Queers (twice)
                  Aerosmith
                  Jackyl
                  Rolling Stones
                  Wesley Willis (talk about a cult following there!)

countless $5 shows at First Ave involving small time punk bands, just for something to do on a weekend, and there are other bigger bands, too.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

My first show (not including the various performances of the Chicago Symphony that I went to with my folks or school field trips) was John Cougar Mellencamp at Poplar Creek in Chicago in 1988. My favorite show was probably Ozomatli at the Fillmore in Denver around 2002-ish. The BoDeans at the same venue a couple of years later was also excellent. The show I use to try to impress people is Miles Davis at Symphony Hall in Chicago. I think that was about a year before he died. Probably 1990. Being a HS kid, I thought it was awesome that he played Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time.

Not embarrassed about any of the shows I have seen. Including the 2 Barenaked Ladies shows, the Scorpions around 1991 (way Way WAY past their "prime"), or the outrageous prices I paid to see the Police or James Taylor in recent years. Good times all.

One show I wish I had ponied up the bucks for: Van Morrison at Red Rocks.

The oddest billing I have seen was a twin bill with Mary Chapin Carpenter and Steve Earle. Lots of lesbians and rednecks in the crowd.
                    Last edited by duper; 02-27-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Here's a list that goes in a different direction than all of yours:

First: Joe Diffie and Travis Tritt at the Target Center when I was about 8 years old.
                      Garth Brooks, Double Live Tour, Target Center concert #5 (he had 7 shows in 7 days at the Target Center)
                      [several crappy rock concerts during the time when I lost my way]
                      Sawyer Brown with a special appearance by Toby Keith at some arena in Louisville during the National FFA Convention
                      Joe Nichols at Toby Keith's in SLP
                      Lee Brice at Toby Keith's in SLP
                      Sawyer Brown at a local small town street dance, which was pretty cool
                      Zach Brown Band at Country Jam last year
                      Eli Young Band at Toby Keith's in SLP
                      Eric Church and Toby Keith at MN State Fair
                      Brantley Gilbert in Green Bay
                      Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan at Xcel Energy Center

Future:
                      Eric Church and Brantley Gilbert at Target Center
                      Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw at Target Field

My favorite was probably Garth, but I was really too young to enjoy it. I am hoping to go to Vegas sometime in the next few years to see him again.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post

One show I wish I had ponied up the bucks for: Van Morrison at Red Rocks.
                        My dad is a big Van Morrison fan. He finally got to see him in Chicago a while back and as a birthday present my mom also took him to NYC to see him play a show there. The NYC show was a big deal I guess because Morrison had no plans on playing shows in the US that year I guess. But then he was inducted into the songwriters hall of fame or something like that and ended up playing a show while in New York for the ceremony. I think he played one in Boston too before heading back to Europe.

My dad is also a big blues fan. He is crazy excited because this year for my parents wedding annivesary they are finally getting to go on this Blues Cruise through the Carribean. Basically a normal cruise only there are a bunch of blues artists on board playing shows all the time.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I got to see Prince at one of his after-bar shows at Paisely Park about a dozen years ago. He played roughly 1/2 his own stuff and 1/2 covers for three hours, including a wicked, wicked, wicked rendition of All Along the Watchtower, Aretha's Think, as well as versions of America, Raspberry Beret, The Ladder and Joy in Repetition that I haven't found anywhere else ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                            My dad is a big Van Morrison fan. He finally got to see him in Chicago a while back and as a birthday present my mom also took him to NYC to see him play a show there. The NYC show was a big deal I guess because Morrison had no plans on playing shows in the US that year I guess. But then he was inducted into the songwriters hall of fame or something like that and ended up playing a show while in New York for the ceremony. I think he played one in Boston too before heading back to Europe.

My dad is also a big blues fan. He is crazy excited because this year for my parents wedding annivesary they are finally getting to go on this Blues Cruise through the Carribean. Basically a normal cruise only there are a bunch of blues artists on board playing shows all the time.
                            That would be cool minus the boat. A friend of my brother's went to see Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Clapton at Alpine Valley Music Theatre in Wisconsin just north of Chicago on August 26, 1990. The last song played in that show was Sweet Home Chicago. Onstage were Stevie Ray and his brother Jimmie (of the Fabulous Thunderbirds), Clapton, Robert Cray and Buddy Guy. Not a bad last song, considering it turned out to be SRV's actual last song.

Comment

First: Head East opening for Foghat
                              Best: The Tubes in 84 or 85. Great songs and an even better stage show. Got to party with the band in their suite after the show .
                              Most Embarrassing: Barry Manilow. Got free meal and free tickets for myself and my wife. Enjoyed the whole evening
                              Funnest (and my newest addiction): Here Come The Mummies. Best horn section since Chicago Transit Authority
                              Strangest: Ray Charles. Saw him (even if he didn't see me) @ Meadowbrook outside of Detroit. Yuppie Central. They all screamed and danced for some DooWop group and left after Ray played 1 or 2 songs. Great show even though I was only one of a handful left to give a standing O (he didn't see that either).
                              Best Opening Act that Never Made It: Guadalcanal Diary
                              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                              Groucho Marx
                              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                              Ron White
                              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                              Milo Bloom

Comment

Just saw the lineup for the Forecastle Festivle in Lousiville Kentucky (July 13-15). Wilco and Neko Case are playing on the 15th and its only 4 hours from Carbondale. However, it is likely that I will be in Wisconsin at a conference in Madison at that time. I'd really like to see both of them perform (and Wilco is following Neko Case on stage which makes it even better).

Comment

Working...
                                X