Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Concert Thread • So ya, thought ya, might like to, go to the show...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Concert Thread • So ya, thought ya, might like to, go to the show...

Thinking back my favorite show of all time that wasn't a KISS concert was probably Queensryche at Target Center in 1991. I had tickets to the North Stars playoff game that night but sold the tickets so I could go. They played Operation: Mindcrime from beginning to end during that tour.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

During All-State (for choir) in 2003: Rockapella. That's the first pop group I went to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        ...The Who at the Civic Center...
        Was that the tour they turned down the house lights right before My Generation? If so, me too. It's been said that a Who concert is like a Rose Bowl with both teams scoring at once. When Roger Daltry ripped into: People try to put us down... that was truly the case.

Also from long ago, Led Zeppelin. More recently, both of Paul McCartney's appearances at the Schott. And seeing a pig fly over Ohio Stadium was pretty cool. (Pink Floyd, of course)

Comment

My Dead story...

By chance (if chance exists) was pulling 4 foot tubes after bar one night in the Spring of 91 and a couple of buddies said they were getting Dead tickets the next morning and it was something I should check out. Said there's nothing, NOTHING like a Dead show.

Sure, why not? They got that one song... Truckin', right?

Drive from LaCrosse WI to Buckeye Lake amphitheater just east of Columbus... 10 am, BIG grass parking lot, here, eat this small piece of cardboard with a bunny picture on it... Sure, never done that, but sounds like a good idea!

T-shirts, grilled cheese, veggie burritos, never ending line of VW busses, drum circle?

Need that crystal to wear on my neck! Why do the trees look like that? Hey guys, check out this grass! How does it do that!?!

Yeah, a sprite sounds great. Those women aren't wearing tops... The clouds sure seem to be in a good mood today... Dance near the drum circle.

Balloon? Sure, I'll give that a whirl. ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............. GOTTA get me another of those!

5pm... Oh yeah, there's a concert to go to! What? Another piece of bunny-cardboard? Absoloootly! Gotta get primed up and the first one went so well!

Why are we laughing uncontrollably?

Holy CRAP! Hold on!

*walking*

Is that the Violent FEMMES opening up?

"Why can't I get just one..."

Going ****ing insane with this music. Not gonna make it, not gonna make... please stop!

They're gone? It's safe?

*waiting*

Picasso Moon opener... w t f is this. Hey that's Bruce Hornsby! What's he doing here? Oh yeah, other dude died...

Sugareeeee...

...and the rest was a wonderful ride on an absolutely life changing day. Saw Soldier Field a few weeks later and Richfield in the fall and a bunch more over the next few years before Jerry died. Don't listen to them as much as I did back then, but the reverberations from that day are still in there.
          Last edited by Gurtholfin; 02-11-2012, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Gurt, the Dead village at every venue was like that from start to finish and you nailed many a memory. People selling tye-dyed shirts, Leines and pb&cheese sandwhiches out the back of their truck, strays walking around asking, "Need one!!", others touting that they had, "doses, shrooms, kine bud!!", tents everywhere. Your story reminded me of my first time at Alpine Valley. On the far left side of the village there is a path that winds it's way (along side a golf course?) toward the staging and there was a dude perched up in a very large, dead tree with a water bottle offering "vitamins". Anyone that opened their mouth received a shot. Was lucky enough to join a fatty circle with Mickey, Phil and Bob after the 2nd show that weekend and still managed to survive a torrential downpour.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Gurt, the Dead village at every venue was like that from start to finish and you nailed many a memory. People selling tye-dyed shirts, Leines and pb&cheese sandwhiches out the back of their truck, strays walking around asking, "Need one!!", others touting that they had, "doses, shrooms, kine bud!!", tents everywhere. Your story reminded me of my first time at Alpine Valley. On the far left side of the village there is a path that winds it's way (along side a golf course?) toward the staging and there was a dude perched up in a very large, dead tree with a water bottle offering "vitamins". Anyone that opened their mouth received a shot. Was lucky enough to join a fatty circle with Mickey, Phil and Bob after the 2nd show that weekend and still managed to survive a torrential downpour.
              Yeah, if it was Alpine 89, you probably got to camp onsite. That had to be wonderfully fun.

It never failed that after a great, great day in the parking lot, I'd realize that I still had a show to go to and then several hours of after-show to look forward to. It was always like, 'Oh yeah!" It seemed like I had already had such a great day. There's more!!

Still go to Phish when I can and used to do SCI, but as fun as those scenes are, and they're great in their own way (Phish at Deer Creek in 2010 with onsite camping was a blast!), they're still not what it once was when the fat man lead the band.

Comment

KISS: saw them on the first reunion tour, played/showed nothing newer than 76 or so. Awesome. 20th row main floor.
                Dead: never saw 'em. The only real chance I had was the same weekend as Pearl Jam in Milwaukee '95, which I had 9th row main. At the time, couldn't pass that up. I don't regret it, but I do regret it, if you can understand that.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  KISS in 1979. I was 11. They were still in makeup and still had the original lineup. Judas Priest was the opening act.
                  Not my first show, but I saw them in 1979 as well. I was 14. Priest was also the opener for my show. Turned me into a fan of theirs and to this day they are still one of my two or three favorite bands. I've seen Priest 7 times now. Saw KISS just one other time, the 1996 reunion at the Gund in Cleveland. That was fun.

Scooby, you and I have similar tastes in music, at least to a certain extent. I too saw Queensryche in '91 in Indy doing Mindcrime. Generally consider it the best show I've ever seen, although if pressed I can name a handful of others that would be in the running. Couldn't believe the small number of people in Indy. Love the opener for that show, Suicidal Tendencies.

Comment

A show by a band that I really like that wasn't so hot was RUSH on the Signals tour in 1982. Saw them at Notre Dame and was not impressed. As a side note that was one of the few times I have missed a Notre Dame home game in the entire time time they have been members of the CCHA. Other than a year when I lived in PA I believe that night in 1982 is one of just 4 home games I have missed in the 22 seasons ND has been a CCHA member. I have seen a lot of baaaaad hockey.

Comment

My first concert was Disturbed/Orgy (2001) at the CCCC in Portland Maine.

The best concert Ive attended was Muse (2010) at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee.

Ive seen Muse live 5 times now (Boston MA, Sterling Heights MI, Auburn Hills, MI, Milwaukee WI, Indianapolis IN). All the shows have blown me away. Arguably the best live band in the business today.
                      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                      2006-2007: 15-24-2
                      2007-2008: 20-20-4
                      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

First concert - The Doobie Brothers my freshman year at Cornell

Worst Concert - The Cars. Just too loud and you couldn't hear the vocals. Every song sounded the same.

Best story: My boss' boss got me a ticket to the Springsteen "Human Touch" tour at the Spectrum. Unfortunately I was in Japan just a few days before the concert wrapping up a plant start-up and the customer wanted me in a one hour meeting in Japan three days after the concert. But...I wound up flying home the Tuesday before the concert and went to the concert on Friday night. The next morning I got back on a plane to Japan, went to the meeting on Monday, and then flew home the next day.

Best moment: My sophomore year, my sister was looking at colleges and came up to visit me and check out Cornell. I was able to get tickets for both of us to see The Kinks, during the "Low Budget" tour. One of my fraternity brothers came up with a scam and we all wound up in second row seats. During one song, the place was going crazy, everyone was clapping along, except my sister, who was so stoned that she simply was staring blindly into space. During a break in the lyrics, Ray Davies looked down at her and said "Whatsa matter, Luv? Don't like the music?" She just buried her face in her hands, totally embarrassed. Loved it.
                        Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Dead: never saw 'em. The only real chance I had was the same weekend as Pearl Jam in Milwaukee '95, which I had 9th row main. At the time, couldn't pass that up. I don't regret it, but I do regret it, if you can understand that.
                          You missed a great carnival in the lot, assuming that the show you passed on was at Soldier Field.

You also missed a horrible Grateful Dead show(s) as Jerry was in the process of literally dying on stage. His failing health made the shows in 95 hard to take. I still had a great time at the shows - only tour that my wife and I went out on together, but the shows were very uneven - from bad to horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            You missed a great carnival in the lot, assuming that the show you passed on was at Soldier Field.

You also missed a horrible Grateful Dead show(s) as Jerry was in the process of literally dying on stage. His failing health made the shows in 95 hard to take. I still had a great time at the shows - only tour that my wife and I went out on together, but the shows were very uneven - from bad to horrible.
                            It was the Soldier Field gig(s).
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Don't remember my first concert, but I remember my favorite:

Counting Crows in 2009. Great live show; Adam Duritz seemingly put all the band's songs in a blender so you ended up getting "Round Here" mixed with Murder of One, etc. For the Encore, they performed Mr. Jones, as I'm sure that's what most of the crowd came to hear.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

First concert: Iron Maiden 'Somewhere in time' tour Met Center 1987 - was a sophomore in HS and was hooked on Maiden after that show.

One of my all time favorites was Metallica in 1989 at the Met Center on the 'And justice for all' tour, Queensryche opened. Crazy show and crazy hair.

Monsters of Rock in 1988 at the Metrodome with Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions and Van Halen was pretty cool for a 17 year old.

I went to many others as well throughout the 90's and early 2000's, but not many in the last few years.
                                Last edited by Driftryder; 02-15-2012, 01:42 PM.
                                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X