Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

    Got an email from Verizon today informing me of this: http://www.testmyisp.com/index.php and giving me the option of signing up.

    No way.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  • #2
    Re: Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

    I got news for you kid. You're being monitored. Your signature is not required. After all, what do you have to hide?

    That train left the station years ago. Until the EMP hurls us back into the 17th century, you have zero privacy.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

      Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      I got news for you kid. You're being monitored. Your signature is not required. After all, what do you have to hide?

      That train left the station years ago. Until the EMP hurls us back into the 17th century, you have zero privacy.
      Well I DID visit eLynah a few times...
      True

      But do you prefer the spy in your house or the spy out in the cold??
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

      ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

      Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

      I want to live forever. So far, so good.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

        Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        ...I got news for you kid. You're being monitored...
        Nah. It still takes a warrant. Many ISPs do "deep packet" inspection, but then aggregate the data instead of figuring out exactly what "you" are doing. It's easier to sell that way and you avoid those pesky privacy questions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

          Originally posted by sagard View Post
          Nah. It still takes a warrant. Many ISPs do "deep packet" inspection, but then aggregate the data instead of figuring out exactly what "you" are doing. It's easier to sell that way and you avoid those pesky privacy questions.
          If you think you're not being monitored, visit a few "truther" sites, look up the Anarchist's Cookbook and then send an email to a dummy account giving all kinds of specifics about your plan to bomb the nearest federal building. When the feds bust in your door you can just tell them you were kidding.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

            Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            If you think you're not being monitored, visit a few "truther" sites, look up the Anarchist's Cookbook and then send an email to a dummy account giving all kinds of specifics about your plan to bomb the nearest federal building. When the feds bust in your door you can just tell them you were kidding.
            You first and tell us how it goes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

              Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
              You first and tell us how it goes.
              I'm not the one saying we're not already being monitored

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

                Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                If you think you're not being monitored, visit a few "truther" sites, look up the Anarchist's Cookbook and then send an email to a dummy account giving all kinds of specifics about your plan to bomb the nearest federal building. When the feds bust in your door you can just tell them you were kidding.
                Your describing a simple investigation, that could certainly lead to a warrant.

                1. Most web sites (including email providers) log IP addresses of visitors.
                2. ISPs log people, their IP addresses, and the time periods they have their IP addresses.

                Actual monitoring is when they get all your packets and internet data in real-time, similar to a phone tap getting voice conversations.

                Actual monitoring requires a warrant. Investigating only requires patience.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Uncle Sam monitoring your ISP?

                  Are you saying that the authorities never monitor without a warrant? If so, I have a bridge to sell you on 35W...its brand new but you can have it dirt cheap!

                  Just because they NEED a warrant, doesnt mean they HAVE one when they listen.

                  But to be fair, this guy is monitoring too:

                  *****http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2009/04/weekend_diversion_do_tinfoil_h/tinfoil_hat_antenna.jpg******

                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

                  "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

                  Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X