X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
    I suppose the inlaws were obtuse?
    Husband was obtuse. The in-laws were bisecting.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Really Terrible Puns Vol 1

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Husband was obtuse. The in-laws were bisecting.
      The family counselor in this case was looking for just the right angle.

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        The family counselor in this case was looking for just the right angle.
        But all he/she had was a theorem. However, it turned out that the counselor was a proofter.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

But all he/she had was a theorem. However, it turned out that the counselor was a proofter.
          This thread has gone off on a tangent but that is perhaps better than just going in circles.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I've seen the following attributed to several different people.

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I heard that movie icons have their own special currency, and that they use it to pay fines they incur on a movie set.

For example, every time they clear their throat (unless it's in the script), they have to pay a cough fee using their star bucks.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                I heard that movie icons have their own special currency, and that they use it to pay fines they incur on a movie set.

For example, every time they clear their throat (unless it's in the script), they have to pay a cough fee using their star bucks.
                And Sarah Lee did not like the music from the jukebox, so she wanted her nickleback.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

And Sarah Lee did not like the music from the jukebox, so she wanted her nickleback.
                  I guess I heard the inflation-adjusted version, in which she wanted her quarter back.

Comment

I guess I heard the inflation-adjusted version, in which she wanted her quarter back.
                    She's a Mark Sanchez fan?
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

This isn't really a pun, it's a mnemonic. Different species, same genus.

In high school physics, when we were studying electronics, I overheard my teacher muttering to herself under her breath. She was a pleasant and earnest young woman, and so I was shocked to hear what whe was saying:

"Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Goes Willingly."

-- WHAAT? I asked.

"oh," she blushed. "that's a way to remember the color coding on resistors: Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Gray White."

Obviously an effective mnemonic given that I can still recall it several decades later!

In one of my college geology classes, a TA alluded to a mnemonic that they used to remember the geological time scale, but he never told us what it was. Any readers here know?

or any other handy mnemonics of a similar nature? Dr. D, any good ones from anatomy class?
                      Last edited by FreshFish; 10-24-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

In high school physics, when we were studying electronics, I overheard my teacher muttering to herself under her breath. She was a pleasant and earnest young woman, and so I was shocked to hear what whe was saying:

"Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Goes Willingly."
                        Interesting that your teacher seemed to have one thing on her mind (??)

When I was in Navy's ET school, it was "Bad boys race our young girls behind victory garden walls". That was the NAVY, mind you! the outfit that gave our nation the saying "he swore like a sailor".

Comment

In one of my college geology classes, a TA alluded to a mnemonic that they used to remember the geological time scale, but he never told us what it was. Any readers here know?

or any other handy mnemonics of a similar nature? Dr. D, any good ones from anatomy class?
                          Well, the classic one is from Biology class to remember kingdom, phylum, class, etc...

King Phillip Came Over For Great Sex

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                            Well, the classic one is from Biology class to remember kingdom, phylum, class, etc...

That one will be useful too. Thank you!

I'll file'em away.

PS. Five kingdoms now. Added a few since I first learned about Linnaeus. We spent two weeks on taxonomy and we saw so many different inverterbrates preserved inside glass jars....the nematodes and tapeworms left me feeling a bit squeamish. Another time though we fermented grape juice though we didn't taste it.

Several of my high school science teachers had been professional scientists, then "retired" and went into teaching in their late 50s or early 60s as a form of pay it forward. Our geometry teacher was a retired air force captain, our biology teacher at one time had been on staff at Argonne National Labs....we were quite lucky back then.

I think I enjoyed chemistry the most though I retained the least knowledge afterward. That teacher once let us mix rust and aluminum powder and ignite it with a magnesium fuse, to produce aluminum oxide and molten iron. We carefully built a plaster of paris funnel and mold, then ignited the mix inside the funnel: it exploded and sent small drops of molten iron flying all over. fortunately, we just went down the hall to the physics lab and got a few magnets and clean up went pretty quickly.

The best chem story was when he mixed ammonia and iodine (solid iodine, not the stuff in solution), then set out the resulting paste to dry on a screen. The first time he tapped it with a yardstick, it was still a bit moist, and some stuck to the end of the yardstick. Later, he used that yardstick to point out something on the giant periodic table hanging on the wall, and when he tapped it with the tip of the yardstick he splintered the end of the yardstick and blew a small hole in the paper. I'll also remember nitrogen tri-iodide for a long time, without a mnemonic!
                            Last edited by FreshFish; 10-24-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post

Lucky. For 10th grade Biology, I got "Kings Play Chess on Fridays Generally Speaking." Not cool.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge (music)
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X