Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tax Season 2012: Work No Longer Pays

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    The Tax Code is way too complex. That is all.
    Wait - so are you saying that the mathematics should be simplified?
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Wait - so are you saying that the mathematics should be simplified?
      If you divide both sides of the equation by 2, you still get the same answer.

However Kepler's Conundrum to the above states that if you divide one side by x and multiply the other side by x, you still get the same answer -- REELECTION!!!!!!

Kep - it rhymed, no other reason for invoking you.
      Last edited by joecct; 04-14-2012, 11:08 AM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        If you divide both sides of the equation by 2, you still get the same answer.

However Kepler's Conundrum to the above states that if you divide one side by x and multiply the other side by x, you still jet the same answer -- REELECTION!!!!!!
        I was told there would be no math.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          I was told there would be no math.
          Last time I checked, this wasn't tLodge. Also, I'm pretty sure I warned about math in the first page.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Pro-Buffett millionaire: Raise my taxes, and the taxes of millionaires and billionaires by raising the capital gains taxes!
            Larry Kudlow: But there's a way to give more already, why don't you do that?
            Pro-Buffett millionaire: I DON'T WANNA PAY MORE TAXES! NO ONE WANTS TO PAY MORE TAXES!

What. An. Idiot.
            Larry Kudlow, for equating donations with taxes? Yes, yes he is.

Comment

Are donations to the IRS tax-deductible?
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Are donations to the IRS tax-deductible?
                Actually, yes, they are. If you make the donation to reduce the public debt, you can take it off next year's taxes in your itemised deductions.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Larry Kudlow, for equating donations with taxes? Yes, yes he is.
                  He has a point, though. There is a way to reduce the public debt. It's some agency in Parkersburg WV, but there's details in your 1040 booklet.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    He has a point, though. There is a way to reduce the public debt. It's some agency in Parkersburg WV, but there's details in your 1040 booklet.
                    You can even do it online!

Comment

Happy Ides of April, Everyone!

If there are others like me slogging to transpose numbers from a line on one schedule to a line on another schedule so I can finish a third schedule......here are some encouraging words from Judge Learned Hand, one of the most notable non-Supreme Court justice in US history.

Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes.
                      from Helvering v. Gregory, 69 F.2d 809, 810-11 (2d Cir. 1934).

Best of luck to all. and as my spouse reminds me, all in all it's generally better to be in a position where you are paying taxes, than the alternative.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Y'alls have my sympathy.

I filed back in January, because for the first time in years I had a refund waiting for me.

The previous few years, though, I waited until the last possible day before making that last payment. I knew that was the right way, economically. Why overpay and let the government earn interest? Psychologically, though, it was a different story. April 15 sucked.
                        1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                          Happy Ides of April, Everyone!
                          OMG. High school Latin *wasn't* complete waste of my time, 'cause now I get to correct someone on a message board! The ides of April is on April 13, not 15th. File that away - you, too, might have a use for it 23 years after you learned it....
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            OMG. High school Latin *wasn't* complete waste of my time, 'cause now I get to correct someone on a message board! The ides of April is on April 13, not 15th. File that away - you, too, might have a use for it 23 years after you learned it....
                            Oh, great, so the Ides of April this year were Friday the 13th.

What an interesting morning, LOL....by Fed return including 6251 (AMT) was just under an hour, while NYState non-resident return was 1 hr 45 minutes....now for other states....

(I'm glad I'm not a professional entertainer or pro athlete, though if I were I'd have an accountant or two on staff!). Every state in which you have earned income requires a separate state income tax return....which means if you earn a living by commuting to another state or if you work for a consulting firm and work several weeks in several states, or if you move from one state to another during a year, or [see footnote C on worksheet III on p22 unless you qualify for these exceptions, so that you reference footnote D on worksheet IV on p24 instead....]

My sympathies actually go out to the people who work for IRS or state revenue dept because they did not write the dopey laws they merely have to figure out how to write the forms and instructions to implement the actual legislation passed by the legislators.

I think we should pass US and State Constitutional amendments that require ALL legislators to do their own taxes; they are not allowed to hire accountants! That might teach them to pass laws in language ordinary people can understand and follow!

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                              Y'alls have my sympathy.

I filed back in January, because for the first time in years I had a refund waiting for me.

The previous few years, though, I waited until the last possible day before making that last payment. I knew that was the right way, economically. Why overpay and let the government earn interest? Psychologically, though, it was a different story. April 15 sucked.
                              Even if I get a refund, I typically have to wait until at least March to file, because the gosh darn oil royalty companies don't publish their tax booklets until then. I've come to keeping my own tabs for dividends, capital gains, and buy/sell, because gosh knows my broker can't get the 1099-DIV and 1099-B correct to save their lives.

Comment

NY State is really sneaky compared to most other states when it comes to non-resident income tax.

Most other states just tax you on non-resident income at their state income tax rates. Simple, straightforward, fair. If it is your state of residency, you get a credit equal to the lesser of tax paid elsewhere or what you would have paid in tax were that income earned in your state. Again, simple, straightfoward, fair.

For NY state, you first put down your entire taxable income from all states. Then you figure out your NY tax on that entire income. Then you pro-rate that tax by the amount of income earned in NY.

Because NY has graduated rates, you are paying tax in a higher bracket than if you only paid tax on the income earned in that state, because the rest of your income from other states, plus your spouse's income, are all added. Also, NY does not have a graduated tax structure, once you move into a higher bracket, you pay tax at that rate from dollar $0. So it's a double whammy for non-resident income earned in NY state.

Fortunately for me, when we first moved into our new home, way back in the last millenia, we built a space 100% dedicated to work. Our office is separate from the home, so that I can walk out one door, walk 8 feet, walk in another door, and be done with my commute on those days I'm not traveling elsewhere, yet still be in an office (and technically not "working from home") for tax purposes.

Comment

Working...
                                X