Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tax Season 2012: Work No Longer Pays

Originally posted by Bob Gray View Post
    At the credit union we use, we get better interest on a money market account than checking, though admittedly even the interest on the MM is pretty minimal right now.
    I kind of realized that, but I think the reason for that is because of mainly how quickly the money transfers (M1 supply vs. M2 supply). It's your preference. I do keep most of my savings in M2, but have a little bit in M1 in case something goes seriously wrong. Also one thing to remember about the money market and savings (at least the online ones, not sure if the rules apply to credit unions as well) is that you're only allowed 6 withdrawals a month for free before the federal government makes you pay $10 a transaction. I'm surprised there isn't a deduction for that, similar to CD withdraw penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I kind of realized that, but I think the reason for that is because of mainly how quickly the money transfers (M1 supply vs. M2 supply). It's your preference. I do keep most of my savings in M2, but have a little bit in M1 in case something goes seriously wrong. Also one thing to remember about the money market and savings (at least the online ones, not sure if the rules apply to credit unions as well) is that you're only allowed 6 withdrawals a month for free before the federal government makes you pay $10 a transaction. I'm surprised there isn't a deduction for that, similar to CD withdraw penalties.
      The credit union has limits on free transactions, but I can't imagine needing to transfer more than half a dozen times in a month. In the end the money in our money market account is as accessible as the money in our checking account. Maybe some banks aren't that way. But for us, there's no reason to keep money in checking, rather than the money market account.

And one of our long term goals regarding paying off bills, including our mortgage, is that if there is ever a serious economic/financial meltdown, I'd much rather be as debt free as possible. Or even if the dollar is gradually devalued as our national debt continues to spiral out of control (recognizing there's lots of influences on the value of a given currency).
      Last edited by Bob Gray; 01-27-2012, 11:46 AM.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

...if you're lucky. But yea, money hitting in 3 business days vs. money hitting immediately is my point. I would think with an emergency fund, you want the money immediately upon demand.
        That's why it's at my credit union and not at ING like my savings. Very few cases where I'd need the actual cash as opposed to just having the resources to pay off a credit card in short order. With the credit union I would be able to go directly to the physical location if I needed to get cash and (more importantly to me, I don't have to worry about the delays in making a transfer between institutions.
        Last edited by Almington; 01-27-2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Good points. Maybe one of these days I'll stop being so OCD about it all.

Anyways, what is the limit on when to receive W-2's? I still don't have mine as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
            Needing money instantly isn't really a concern.
            Depends upon where you live. Last August we were without power for over a week...not just our house, our whole town. ATMs need power to dispense cash; card readers need power to scan that magnetic strip. Some businesses had generators and were operating cash only.

I was really glad I resisted all those pitches to "bundle." Our old-fashioned land line phone worked just fine; no one's modem-operated phone did. Cell phones stopped working because the relay towers had no power either.

When people talk about asset allocation, the reason is to be prepared for a wide range of contingencies. I think there is a minimal yet non-trivial danger of severe social disruption that may last a few months (if it lasts any longer there's no way to prepare anyway unless you are really wealthy or live in the country or both). "Investing" in backup supplies, a generator, and "junk" silver coins (gold is not as useful, who can make change?) is an emergency fund I wish I did not have to have.

It is so weird, at the outset of GWB presidency, after the dot-com bust recession ended, I had a dream about "seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine" and it pretty much has worked out as scheduled so far. Really freaky.

When it comes to politics, these days I'm pretty much "a plague on both your houses" type. I have very little good to say about career politicians of either party.

I think BHO will be completely and utterly ruthless and will say or do anything to get re-elected. If his class warfare rhetoric leads to open violence, so much the better for him: then he can suspend the Constitution and implement martial law.

Now don't get me wrong: I am NOT NOT NOT saying that's what I believe he is doing deliberately. I don't think he has the foresight for that. He seems all about expediency and the next five minutes. How often did he contradict himself during the State of the Union and not even care whether anyone noticed or not?

I'm merely saying that he doesn't care about the distress he causes others one way or the other.
            Last edited by FreshFish; 01-27-2012, 12:13 PM.
            "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

1.) The difference between M1 (a checking account) and M2 (a savings or money market deposit account) in terms of liquidity is tiny. I can transfer between the two and have the money available no later than the next business day. I can go into the location and walk out with cash immediately. Keeping some cash around isn't a terrible idea, but anything more than a few hundred dollars is excessive and unnecessary (at least for me).

2.) If I'm making more than 6 transfers to/from my normal savings in a month something is very wrong, given that I usually only have 1 (in) and sometimes have 2 (one in, one out) and have never had more than 3. If it is an emergency and I do cross the 6 transaction limit, the $10 isn't going to be my biggest or most pressing problem.

Comment

I still haven't received my W2 from my Fall employer. Have the W2 from the employer from the Spring/Summer, a 1099G from Illinois for my unemployment, and a 1099-Div from the stocks I have.

Not looking forward to completing my forms. I think I fear that I owe in.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  I still haven't received my W2 from my Fall employer. Have the W2 from the employer from the Spring/Summer, a 1099G from Illinois for my unemployment, and a 1099-Div from the stocks I have.

Not looking forward to completing my forms. I think I fear that I owe in.
                  So long as it's under $1000, you should be fine. Just gather up some interest on the money you have to pay, first.

Comment

So long as it's under $1000, you should be fine. Just gather up some interest on the money you have to pay, first.
                    Not too worried about the stocks. It's just 10 of 'em. Literally. My dividend check was a whopping $14.50.

I'm more worried about my two jobs. I have taxes withheld from the unemployment, but I think I may have made too much with the two jobs to qualify for any nice refund.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Not too worried about the stocks. It's just 10 of 'em. Literally. My dividend check was a whopping $14.50.

I'm more worried about my two jobs. I have taxes withheld from the unemployment, but I think I may have made too much with the two jobs to qualify for any nice refund.
                      My point still stands. So long as what you owe isn't over $1000, you should be fine, as that is when you have to pay penalties. Plus, refunds aren't all that nice, as the government is not required to pay you statutory interest on that money, as long as they aren't late to send you a check. I had missed the Making Work Pay credit on my 2009 return, and was paid statutory interest on that money because of the time difference between when I filed and when I received the check.

If it weren't for the efforts of those darn accounting firms, I could pick up chicks with this knowledge...
                      Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 01-27-2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I love how a bunch of my facebook friends boast about already filing their tax returns, and I don't even have a W-2 or my broker's 1099 yet...

Comment

My wife filed hers Friday night. I'm still waiting on a W2.

If mailed, they have until Feb. 15th to deliver, right?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

My wife filed hers Friday night. I'm still waiting on a W2.

If mailed, they have until Feb. 15th to deliver, right?
                            According to the 1040 instructions on Page 20, the cutoff date is January 31st. My broker likes to wait until the last second (although it may have to do with how dividends are reported, whether ex-dividend or payment date).

Comment

There's gotta be something wrong here:
                              http://mobile.boston.com/art/28/news...n_tax_refunds/
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                There's gotta be something wrong here:
                                http://mobile.boston.com/art/28/news...n_tax_refunds/
                                Kinda reminds me of that guy who files those crazy-*** lawsuits against Tiger Woods and Lady Gaga and other people.

Apparently this isn't that uncommon in prison - it passes the time, and legal-minded inmates like to do stuff like that for practice and to learn about the system.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X