Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oscars 2012: Jonah Hill... Oscar Nominee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oscars 2012: Jonah Hill... Oscar Nominee?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Great reference, but wrong premise.

Anne Baxter not getting that Oscar was criminal. Swanson and Davis were scenery chewers in those roles; she acted.

Two other things: (1) How many times does a comedienne beat a dramatic role for best actress? (2) What the heck was "Caged"? Sounds like Ilsa: "She Wolf of the SS."
    Agreed on Anne Baxter. And agree also about dramatic roles virtually always winning over comedic ones. First timers do not often win (otherwise Bette Midler for The Rose should have been a no brainer) unless the Academy is trying to make a statement. They are especially good at doing that in their choice of supporting Actor or Actress. I tend to watch out of habit because both Jenny and I are old time movie buffs but each year it becomes even more obvious that the awards are not much more than an advertising opportunity for the industry.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Scanning over Kepler's list, I'm actually amazed by how few of these movies I have seen. I count two. I have seen the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so maybe 2+, but I don't think that counts even for a +

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
        Scanning over Kepler's list, I'm actually amazed by how few of these movies I have seen. I count two. I have seen the original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so maybe 2+, but I don't think that counts even for a +
        The original is a little more basic. The new one is glossier in production, but grittier in content.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          The original is a little more basic. The new one is glossier in production, but grittier in content.
          I actually would like to see the remake. There were one or two things that I wished had not been left out of the movie (I can't remember what anymore) and I'm curious about this one.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
            I actually would like to see the remake. There were one or two things that I wished had not been left out of the movie (I can't remember what anymore) and I'm curious about this one.
            They do have the extended versions of the original trilogy on Amazon. That version is more like the American one, with more on the subplot with Mikael/editor and such.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Great reference, but wrong premise.

Anne Baxter not getting that Oscar was criminal. Swanson and Davis were scenery chewers in those roles; she acted.

Two other things: (1) How many times does a comedienne beat a dramatic role for best actress? (2) What the heck was "Caged"? Sounds like Ilsa: "She Wolf of the SS."
              Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Agreed on Anne Baxter. And agree also about dramatic roles virtually always winning over comedic ones. First timers do not often win (otherwise Bette Midler for The Rose should have been a no brainer) unless the Academy is trying to make a statement. They are especially good at doing that in their choice of supporting Actor or Actress. I tend to watch out of habit because both Jenny and I are old time movie buffs but each year it becomes even more obvious that the awards are not much more than an advertising opportunity for the industry.
              Disagree with you both but that's part of the fun. Swanson carried Sunset Boulevard which also was the better film. Much better than "All About Eve". Swanson didn't win because Hollywood didn't like the way Billy Wilder shined the light on them. Baxter did a great job of acting, especially with all the egos on that film. But she didn't carry that movie. Bette Davis' character was much more interesting. The movie was "All About Eve" and Anne Baxter was Eve but I didn't spend more than 10 minutes giving a rip about Eve. And that's why I don't think she deserved the Oscar.

I just realized I've never seen "Caged". I thought I had seen all the 1950 Best Actress nominated performances, especially since I find the story of how Judy Holliday won interesting. I guess I have an old movie I need to find and see.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Disagree with you both but that's part of the fun. Swanson carried Sunset Boulevard which also was the better film.
                Urge to kill. Rising.

I love both movies and would never tire of either, but there's just no comparison. "All About Eve" is far, far better written and acted. "Sunset Boulevard" is certainly better shot and directed -- there are at least a half dozen iconic moments of imagery genius in it. I will give you that. But for that matter, William Holden carries what acting there is in the movie. Gloria's character and performance are akin to the animatronic ape in King Kong. Memorable, but completely hokey.

Baxter did a great job of acting, especially with all the egos on that film. But she didn't carry that movie. Bette Davis' character was much more interesting. The movie was "All About Eve" and Anne Baxter was Eve but I didn't spend more than 10 minutes giving a rip about Eve.
                We'll just have to agree that you're wrong. There's no accounting for taste.

I just realized I've never seen "Caged". I thought I had seen all the 1950 Best Actress nominated performances, especially since I find the story of how Judy Holliday won interesting. I guess I have an old movie I need to find and see.
                What's the story?

I have to see it, too. I have this mental image of Anne Francis in "So Young, So Bad," but with cells. Totally NSFW.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Urge to kill. Rising.

I love both movies and would never tire of either, but there's just no comparison. "All About Eve" is far, far better written and acted. "Sunset Boulevard" is certainly better shot and directed -- there are at least a half dozen iconic moments of imagery genius in it. I will give you that. But for that matter, William Holden carries what acting there is in the movie. Gloria's character and performance are akin to the animatronic ape in King Kong. Memorable, but completely hokey.

We'll just have to agree that you're wrong. There's no accounting for taste.

What's the story?

I have to see it, too. I have this mental image of Anne Francis in "So Young, So Bad," but with cells. Totally NSFW.
                  I have no taste I guess.

The story? Well, there's not much. It's mostly politics. Anne Baxter had been approached about being put up in the "Best Supporting Actress" category instead of the Best Actrees category. This supposedly would have given Bette Davis the inside track. Anne vehemently refused and the thought is that her and Bette split the vote because they were both in "All About Eve". When Bette didn't win she said that she was happy a "new girl" won it.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    I have no taste I guess.
                    Undecided. I forget where you stand on "The Departed."

The story? Well, there's not much. It's mostly politics. Anne Baxter had been approached about being put up in the "Best Supporting Actress" category instead of the Best Actrees category. This supposedly would have given Bette Davis the inside track. Anne vehemently refused and the thought is that her and Bette split the vote because they were both in "All About Eve". When Bette didn't win she said that she was happy a "new girl" won it.
                    That's interesting. (I assume pretty much every Oscar has been about politics, except the technical ones, and who knows, maybe in their world it's all about corner offices too.)

I read up on Holliday, knowing nothing about her. That's a pretty interesting story as well.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That's interesting. (I assume pretty much every Oscar has been about politics, except the technical ones, and who knows, maybe in their world it's all about corner offices too.)
                      That is pretty much how we feel also. Lots of these award shows have an agenda that they play to. Whether it be the Oscars or the Westminster Dog Show-I am convinced most winners are predetermined. The shows are just an excuse to serve an advertising purpose.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        That is pretty much how we feel also. Lots of these award shows have an agenda that they play to. Whether it be the Oscars or the Westminster Dog Show-I am convinced most winners are predetermined. The shows are just an excuse to serve an advertising purpose.
                        The winners of the Oscars are predetermined. That's why the winner's names are already on that little envelope that they read on stage.
                        Old Monster Records

Comment

So we're live with the pre-show! Anyone? Catty comments? J-Lo's questionable stripes? Nick Nolte's . . . . Nolte-ness? WHERES SCARLET?!?
                          Bugs Bunny - 96
                          Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                            So we're live with the pre-show! Anyone? Catty comments? J-Lo's questionable stripes? Nick Nolte's . . . . Nolte-ness? WHERES SCARLET?!?
                            I have HD TV....I'm afraid if I watch I will catch a glimpse of Joan Rivers. {SHUDDER!}

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Did Nolte look super old and act even older?
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

SBC's number on (or with) Seacrest was nice. Just as well the North Koreans don't have televisions.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X