Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOPA and PIPA: Your thoughts on free speech!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SOPA and PIPA: Your thoughts on free speech!

Shiat just got real. Megaupload shut down, founder and several employees indicted on piracy charges.
    Last edited by Twitch Boy; 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

SOPA co-sponsors
      Rep Amodei, Mark E. [NV-2] - 11/3/2011
      Rep Baca, Joe [CA-43] - 12/7/2011
      Rep Barrow, John [GA-12] - 11/14/2011
      Rep Bass, Karen [CA-33] - 11/3/2011
      Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Blackburn, Marsha [TN-7] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Bono Mack, Mary [CA-45] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Carter, John R. [TX-31] - 11/3/2011
      Rep Chabot, Steve [OH-1] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Chu, Judy [CA-32] - 11/30/2011
      Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Cooper, Jim [TN-5] - 12/12/2011
      Rep Deutch, Theodore E. [FL-19] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Gallegly, Elton [CA-24] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Goodlatte, Bob [VA-6] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Griffin, Tim [AR-2] - 10/26/2011
      Rep King, Peter T. [NY-3] - 11/3/2011
      Rep Larson, John B. [CT-1] - 11/30/2011
      Rep Lujan, Ben Ray [NM-3] - 11/14/2011
      Rep Marino, Tom [PA-10] - 11/3/2011
      Rep Nunnelee, Alan [MS-1] - 11/3/2011
      Rep Owens, William L. [NY-23] - 11/14/2011
      Rep Ross, Dennis [FL-12] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Scalise, Steve [LA-1] - 11/14/2011
      Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-29] - 10/26/2011
      Rep Sherman, Brad [CA-27] - 12/7/2011
      Rep Wasserman Schultz, Debbie [FL-20] - 11/3/2011
      Rep Watt, Melvin L. [NC-12] - 11/3/2011
      Rep Terry, Lee [NE-2] - 10/26/2011(withdrawn - 1/18/2012)
      Rep Holden, Tim [PA-17] - 11/30/2011(withdrawn - 1/18/2012)
      Rep Quayle, Benjamin [AZ-3] - 12/13/2011(withdrawn - 1/17/2012)

PIPA co-sponsors
      Sen Alexander, Lamar [TN] - 5/25/2011
      Sen Ayotte, Kelly [NH] - 6/27/2011
      Sen Bennet, Michael F. [CO] - 7/25/2011
      Sen Bingaman, Jeff [NM] - 10/19/2011
      Sen Blumenthal, Richard [CT] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Blunt, Roy [MO] - 5/23/2011
      Sen Boozman, John [AR] - 6/15/2011
      Sen Boxer, Barbara [CA] - 12/12/2011
      Sen Brown, Sherrod [OH] - 10/20/2011
      Sen Cardin, Benjamin L. [MD] - 7/13/2011
      Sen Casey, Robert P., Jr. [PA] - 9/7/2011
      Sen Chambliss, Saxby [GA] - 11/2/2011
      Sen Cochran, Thad [MS] - 6/23/2011
      Sen Coons, Christopher A. [DE] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Corker, Bob [TN] - 6/9/2011
      Sen Durbin, Richard [IL] - 6/30/2011
      Sen Enzi, Michael B. [WY] - 9/7/2011
      Sen Feinstein, Dianne [CA] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Franken, Al [MN] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Gillibrand, Kirsten E. [NY] - 5/26/2011
      Sen Graham, Lindsey [SC] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Grassley, Chuck [IA] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Hagan, Kay [NC] - 7/5/2011
      Sen Hatch, Orrin G. [UT] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Isakson, Johnny [GA] - 11/2/2011
      Sen Johnson, Tim [SD] - 10/3/2011
      Sen Klobuchar, Amy [MN] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Kohl, Herb [WI] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Landrieu, Mary L. [LA] - 10/17/2011
      Sen Lieberman, Joseph I. [CT] - 7/7/2011
      Sen McCain, John [AZ] - 7/26/2011
      Sen Menendez, Robert [NJ] - 10/31/2011
      Sen Nelson, Bill [FL] - 9/23/2011
      Sen Risch, James E. [ID] - 11/7/2011
      Sen Rubio, Marco [FL] - 5/26/2011
      Sen Schumer, Charles E. [NY] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Shaheen, Jeanne [NH] - 6/30/2011
      Sen Udall, Tom [NM] - 7/7/2011
      Sen Vitter, David [LA] - 11/7/2011
      Sen Whitehouse, Sheldon [RI] - 5/12/2011
      Sen Moran, Jerry [KS] - 6/23/2011(withdrawn - 6/27/2011)
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
        Also, worth pointing out that what Wikipedia and other sites were engaging in today was corporate political speech.
        Corporations are people, don't ya know!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          *Friedman rolls over in his grave*

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
            Honestly, I think the hysteria over this is a little out of control. As long as the bill stays with its original intentions of only going after foreign websites (i.e. nothing ending in .com, .net, .org) and only going after sites dedicated to infringing on copyrights, then I don't see it being much of a problem.

But it won't unless those intentions are written in as limitations. It never stays within the so called "spirit of the law." Never ever. Ever.

Look at the whole Napster deal. They were going after college kids in dorms.

Comment

Well, yes, it does raise an interesting question doesn't it? If one thinks corporate speech isn't a real thing, then what in the world went on yesterday? Or if one thinks corporate speech is real, but very very bad, then they better not have been applauding Wikipedia, Google, and others yesterday.

A couple of hypotheticals. First, from Volokh:

Say that Congress concludes that it’s unfair for Google to be able to speak so broadly, in a way that ordinary Americans (including ordinary Congressmen) generally can’t. Congress therefore enacts a statute banning all corporations from spending their money — and therefore banning them from speaking — in support of or opposition to any statute. What would you say about such a statute? Again, I limit the question to those who think corporations generally lack First Amendment rights.
              Second, what if Wikipedia decides to hold another blackout day in March, this time with a message urging visitors to vote against Lamar Smith, the Texas Republican who introduced the bill. Are people cool with the government being able to come in and fine Wikipedia for that? If you disagreed with Citizens United, your answer must be yes...

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                These bills are basically an effort to turn the current internet into another version of your cable or satellite programming where all that's available is what corporations wish you to have access to. It finally murders the fair use doctrine after it's been getting shot at by the **AA's for the past fifteen years and you have no recourse to defend yourself and in fact there is no requirement for you to even be informed until after your site has been revoked permanently.

We're all going to have to find something new to do instead of ****ing around on message boards if something this extreme ever passes.
                The more I was thinking about this the more I realized that this was an attempt to return us to the 1980s/1990s... Prodigy era basically, but with smartphones.

----

Let's note that this won't be the last assault... the UN has been looking for ways to clamp down on internet speech since its against the desires of most of its members. The political class would surely like to corral us if they felt it was worth their while... and this law would surely undermine the political internet as it would enable to executive to enforce these statutes in a one-sided fashion.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Well, yes, it does raise an interesting question doesn't it? If one thinks corporate speech isn't a real thing, then what in the world went on yesterday? Or if one thinks corporate speech is real, but very very bad, then they better not have been applauding Wikipedia, Google, and others yesterday.
                  Advertisement, awareness, and giving an avenue for individuals to exercise their freedom of speech. What exactly do you mean by corporate speech?

Comment

An interesting case study

Would it really be in the entertainment industries best interest to go after all these illegal offshore websites? My guess is that the creation of the internet is the best thing that has ever happened to the entertainment business bottom lines. When you sum up all of the lobbying, court costs, and other expenses involved in copyright legislation, is it really worth it? Most importantly, can the entertainment companies really afford to sever relationships with youtube, facebook, twitter, and google?

Comment

It's a chicken and the egg issue. If corporate speech wasn't allowed in our system, SOPA and PIPA wouldn't exist, at least not remotely in their current form. There would be no need for useful corporate speech like yesterday in that fairyland world.

I'm supposed to feel bad or hypocritical that someone on my side pulled out their nukes yesterday in response to what's been going on for years in Washington? Fark you and the horse you rode in on.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

It's a chicken and the egg issue. If corporate speech wasn't allowed in our system, SOPA and PIPA wouldn't exist, at least not remotely in their current form. There would be no need for useful corporate speech like yesterday in that fairyland world.

I'm supposed to feel bad or hypocritical that someone on my side pulled out their nukes yesterday in response to what's been going on for years in Washington? Fark you and the horse you rode in on.

To me it comes down to what should corporate free speech encompass?

Taking your site down as a form of protest is one thing.

Being able to make unlimited donations to elected officials to essentially "buy" them is another altogether.

I realize that it could be argued that sites such as Google could hold us all hostage by taking down their site when they wanted something or other to happen, but that would be detrimental to their bottom line and they wouldn't be able to do it for long.

Comment

Test case. Megaupload is a site about .4% of the internet recognizes. You win this case, you use the precedent to shut down Youtube.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Could you expand on the first paragraph? I realize it's a hypothetical, but I highly doubt it. Edit: To expand, 30 years ago, the MPAA was comparing the VCR to a serial killer:
                            I say to you that the VCR is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone…
                            - Jack Valenti, head of the MPAA
                            I'm not sure what this world without corporate speech would look like, but you really think businesses wouldn't want ridiculous degrees of protection in that alternate universe?

As for the second one, no, you shouldn't feel bad. I don't know about hypocritical, but "corporate speech is bad - unless it's for something I like" strikes me as a pretty crazy position.

Originally posted by Gurtholfin

Being able to make unlimited donations to elected officials to essentially "buy" them is another altogether.
                            That's fine. But then you at least admit that corporations do have some speech rights. That's more a lot of people are willing to do.
                            Last edited by WeWantMore; 01-19-2012, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Corporations cannot make unlimited donations to elected officials. In fact, corporations cannot make ANY donations to elected officials.

Let's not take liberties with the facts of the Citizens United v. the FEC ruling.
                              Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
                                Corporations cannot make unlimited donations to elected officials. In fact, corporations cannot make ANY donations to elected officials.

Let's not take liberties with the facts of the Citizens United v. the FEC ruling.
                                Legally, no. But there is always the bribe.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X