Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOPA and PIPA: Your thoughts on free speech!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOPA and PIPA: Your thoughts on free speech!

Do you think that SOPA and PIPA would be an infringement on your freedom of speech? Or do you see the "blackout" protests of Wikepeida and other search engines as a knee jerk reaction to enhanced censorship legislation?

It is a very interesting debate, and one that I love discussing because it is not the same old "left vs. right" Washington shenanigans.

Re: SOPA and PIPA: Your thoughts on free speech!

This reply is in violation of the Protect Intellectual Property Act.

Comment

Originally posted by MUnRPI View Post
      It is a very interesting debate, and one that I love discussing because it is not the same old "left vs. right" Washington shenanigans.
      But on this site, it will inevitably turn into that debate! Hell, we can turn a "Tastes great" versus "less filling" discussion into a left - right debate.

Comment

Interesting comment going around Facebook: under SOPA, you could get a longer sentence for uploading Michael Jackson's songs than the doctor who actually killed him.
        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Honestly, I think the hysteria over this is a little out of control. As long as the bill stays with its original intentions of only going after foreign websites (i.e. nothing ending in .com, .net, .org) and only going after sites dedicated to infringing on copyrights, then I don't see it being much of a problem.

I've read a lot of wild stories about what could happen with this law, but all of them seem to be three or four steps down the line. It's like a lot of people are arguing that we shouldn't hand out life sentences for murder because that means then the government will start handing out lifetime prison sentences for parking tickets.
          Originally posted by dicaslover
          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Thank God I only get speeding tickets.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
              Honestly, I think the hysteria over this is a little out of control. As long as the bill stays with its original intentions of only going after foreign websites (i.e. nothing ending in .com, .net, .org) and only going after sites dedicated to infringing on copyrights, then I don't see it being much of a problem.

I've read a lot of wild stories about what could happen with this law, but all of them seem to be three or four steps down the line. It's like a lot of people are arguing that we shouldn't hand out life sentences for murder because that means then the government will start handing out lifetime prison sentences for parking tickets.
              How hilariously naive.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post

Except since the wording is so general it can also be applied to any domestic site that allows for the possibility of a user posting or linking to copyrighted material. So this forum could be delinked from and shut down because someone could post a Simpsons video in one of the threads. (Note it doesn't even require that something actually be posted, it just requires that the site give a user an ability.)

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  Except since the wording is so general it can also be applied to any domestic site that allows for the possibility of a user posting or linking to copyrighted material. So this forum could be delinked from and shut down because someone could post a Simpsons video in one of the threads. (Note it doesn't even require that something actually be posted, it just requires that the site give a user an ability.)
                  And given the past actions of companies like Fox, the RIAA, and other groups, this is not outside the realm of possibility.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and has been removed.
                    Twitter: DanMountSports
                    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

I understand why SOPA and PIPA are so bad. I haven't heard as much about PIPA, though. What's the big difference between it and SOPA?
                      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        I understand why SOPA and PIPA are so bad. I haven't heard as much about PIPA, though. What's the big difference between it and SOPA?
                        I think Pipa is a hottie, but don't tell my wife.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

These bills are basically an effort to turn the current internet into another version of your cable or satellite programming where all that's available is what corporations wish you to have access to. It finally murders the fair use doctrine after it's been getting shot at by the **AA's for the past fifteen years and you have no recourse to defend yourself and in fact there is no requirement for you to even be informed until after your site has been revoked permanently.

We're all going to have to find something new to do instead of ****ing around on message boards if something this extreme ever passes.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                            We're all going to have to find something new to do instead of ****ing around on message boards if something this extreme ever passes.
                            There goes my life if that ever happens.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                              I think Pipa is a hottie, but don't tell my wife.
                              Hmmm....

*****http://guide.thefastandthefabulous.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/pippa_mann_299w.jpg******

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree.

Oh crap, now USCHO's about to be shut down.

Comment

Working...
                              X