Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brendan Shanahan - The biggest joke of the NHL?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brendan Shanahan - The biggest joke of the NHL?????

Michael Russo's Sunday Insider: Disciplinarian Shanahan defends decisions
    Article by: Star Tribune Updated: December 31, 2011 - 6:54 PM
    Conspiracy talk notwithstanding, NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan insists, laughing, he's no Wild hater.

The second it became apparent that Colorado's Cody McLeod would escape punishment for checking the Wild's Jared Spurgeon from behind on Monday, I got pelted with e-mails and tweets.

"Brendan Shanahan's a joke." "A Wild player's got to lose a limb for the league to notice." "Why does Shanahan hate Minnesota?"

Wednesday morning, I e-mailed NHL headquarters and basically demanded an explanation for how it's possible that for the fourth time since Nov. 30, a Wild opponent has skated away spank-free for a questionable incident toward a Wild player.

Obviously Shanahan, the longtime power forward who has taken over NHL discipline from oft-criticized Colin Campbell, loathes Minnesota, right? He annoyed by our funny accents? Chow down some bad chicken wild rice soup last time he was here?

I landed in Nashville and had an e-mail to call Shanahan.

"Believe it or not, there's not some conspiracy in New York or within me against the state of Minnesota or Minnesota Wild," Shanahan said. "Earlier this month, I was at the same hotel as the Wild in San Jose and I sat around and had a few beers and told some stories and had some laughs with Matt Cullen and Devin Setoguchi and Dany Heatley."

Shanahan began to laugh.

"I remember when I played for the Rangers. We were playing the Devils. It was probably my 20th year of hockey and for years, you always heard the Devils get all the calls because the refs are so intimidated by [General Manager Lou Lamoriello]."

Shanahan said he yelled at referee Don VanMassenhoven that he shouldn't give any breaks to New Jersey "just because it's Lou and the Devils." The next season, Shanahan played for the Devils, and his new teammates claimed the Rangers got all the breaks. After a penalty in one game, Shanahan jokingly told, coincidentally, the same ref not to favor the Rangers.

"Everyone loves conspiracy theories," Shanahan said. "I deal with passionate GMs and players every day. I can't pay much attention to fanatics. I just do the job."

On Nov. 30, Edmonton's Ryan Whitney injured Cal Clutterbuck with a knee. On Dec. 13, Pierre-Marc Bouchard broke his nose after being boarded by Winnipeg's Zach Bogosian. On Dec. 22, Marek Zidlicky was checked from behind by Edmonton's Lennart Petrell. Then, Monday, Spurgeon was injured.

Shanahan went through each incident with me and explained his reasoning for not rendering discipline (see www.startribune.com/russo). He also called Wild GM Chuck Fletcher on Tuesday.

Shanahan painted me a picture of how supplemental discipline works. On a daily basis, he'll e-mail 14 people clips of questionable hits with the subject, "Thoughts?" That group includes such people as Rob Blake, Kris King, Stephane Quintal, Kay Whitmore and Mike Murphy.

"In a job that is very subjective, I think our group is the best at it," Shanahan said. "We have a mental catalog of hundreds and hundreds of hits and we see patterns that to us prove intent and lack of intent.

"It's an important job. I could really care less about pats on the back. What I care about is over time trying to develop something that makes it safer for players to play while at the same time making sure players are still able to body check."

On any decision to suspend or not suspend, somebody (or many somebodys) will be upset. But transparency is the key to this thankless job.

"Sometimes people want to say we're not clear or confusing, but they never pick up the phone to ask us," Shanahan said. "Whether you agree or disagree, in the end, we expose all of our work."

I talked to Shanahan for 20 minutes. I still don't like the ruling -- McLeod could have ridden Spurgeon into the boards rather than drive a vulnerable player with a check across the numbers.

But I also know Shanahan doesn't hate Minnesota.

- All of his excuses are complete BULL SHAT. You bench PMJ for having an opposing player lift a stick into his own face and yet come up with complete cow patties as excuses not to penalize two blatant hits from behind????? The NHL, Shanahan, and their supplemental disciplinary process is a JOKE.
    - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
    Go you Green and White
    Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight with all your might!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!
    We are here to cheer you
    We are out to win your fame,
    So, Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Re: Brendan Shanahan - The biggest joke of the NHL?????

Shanahan is doing a much better job that what the NHL had previously in Campbell's wheel of justice.
    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Yeah, adjust your tinfoil hat. Especially the way he walks through the hits, and explains why Hit A is different or the same as Hit B....I have no complaints.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I don't agree with a few of his rulings, but I don't think he has a vendetta against the Wild.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
          I don't agree with a few of his rulings, but I don't think he has a vendetta against the Wild.
          Bull. This obviously has to do with the Hockeytown argument between Michigan and Minnesota from his days with the Wings.
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I've always found it ironic that Shanahan is the all-time NHL leader in Gordie Howe Hat Tricks.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              I've always found it ironic that Shanahan is the all-time NHL leader in Gordie Howe Hat Tricks.
              For you young kids out there, that's a goal, an assist, and a fight.
              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                For you young kids out there, that's a goal, an assist, and a fight.
                And staged fights shouldn't count.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  And staged fights shouldn't count.
                  The only sport with fake fights is basketball.
                  St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                    The only sport with fake fights is basketball.
                    "Hey, you wanna go after the drop?"
                    "Yeah, okay."

That's a fake fight.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Yeah, adjust your tinfoil hat. Especially the way he walks through the hits, and explains why Hit A is different or the same as Hit B....I have no complaints.
                      No one ever said he had it out for the Wild, I am saying his "reasoning" is complete SHAT.
                      - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Go you Green and White
                      Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Fight with all your might!
                      Rah! Rah! Rah!
                      We are here to cheer you
                      We are out to win your fame,
                      So, Go Bemidji Beavers
                      Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

"Hey, you wanna go after the drop?"
                        "Yeah, okay."

That's a fake fight.
                        They did that to avoid the instigator penalty. I don't consider that a fake fight.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

They did that to avoid the instigator penalty. I don't consider that a fake fight.
                          They did that? It happens quite often. And I don't like it as part of the game. If a fight happens as a result of the action, that's one thing. If a fight is agreed upon, I don't like it, it's staged and therefore I call it a fake fight. It's yet one more reason I prefer college hockey.

Comment

They did that? It happens quite often. And I don't like it as part of the game. If a fight happens as a result of the action, that's one thing. If a fight is agreed upon, I don't like it, it's staged and therefore I call it a fake fight. It's yet one more reason I prefer college hockey.
                            Yeah, it happened quite a bit. Other times, an enforcer might "owe" a fight, and they'll ask. Please tell me you've read "The Code."

Comment

Yeah, it happened quite a bit. Other times, an enforcer might "owe" a fight, and they'll ask. Please tell me you've read "The Code."
                              No, I've not read it.

Comment

Working...
                              X