Winter Classic 2012: Rangers vs. Flyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Classic 2012: Rangers vs. Flyers

Last year I started a thread for the Classic. Speculation about next venue, updates on weather most welcomed. I think the next one should be at Citifield or Metlife Staduim, Rangers vs. Devils. The Yankees got mad at NHL for not having the first classic at the new Yankee staduim and booked the staduim with college football for the forseeable future.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Re: Winter Classic 2012: Rangers vs. Flyers

I don't think there's any way that the Rangers are in it 2 years in a row, and they sure as hell won't do 2 NY teams.

I think next year is Boston @ Detroit in Comerica Park. Boston and Detroit are 2 of the most marketable teams around right now. Their game earlier this year was a great matchup, and I could see the league wanting to showcase it.

The year after that I think we'll see something like LA @ NYR.

Anyways, my buddy has tickets to this game, got 'em for Christmas. He's sitting in the HoF club, which I can't believe. Amazing, amazing seats.
    UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

From the looks of the forecast, wind is going to be a factor for the 1st time in this years game... Wonder how that will play out
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        From the looks of the forecast, wind is going to be a factor for the 1st time in this years game... Wonder how that will play out
        I can't see wind really having much effect on the flight of a thrown D battery.

Oh, you mean for the PLAYERS.
        Cornell University Men's Hockey
        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
          I can't see wind really having much effect on the flight of a thrown D battery.

Oh, you mean for the PLAYERS.
          I think they need to get Minnesota into this thing. Whether they host it or not I think Minnesota vs Detroit makes sense.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            I think they need to get Minnesota into this thing. Whether they host it or not I think Minnesota vs Detroit makes sense.
            I suspect this is going to become a rotating event between Chi/Det/Bos/Phi/Pit/NYR with the occasional "other" team being thrown in. Obviously, the southern teams aren't able to host, but I'm not sure why Canadian teams are being left out. A Wild/Edmonton/Vancouver/Winnipeg Classic in any of those cities would be terrific. Heck, they could even have it on Lake Superior, making it a true Winter Classic.
            Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Next year will be in Detroit, and I also think it'll be against the Bruins. NHL wants it at Michigan Stadium, Illitch wants it at Comerica. I'll go with Comerica. Not because I don't like Michigan, because Illitch does what Illitch wants.

I'd love to see the Leafs, but NBC/NHL have decided to just let Canada do their own thing with the Heritage Classic.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing View Post
                I suspect this is going to become a rotating event between Chi/Det/Bos/Phi/Pit/NYR with the occasional "other" team being thrown in. Obviously, the southern teams aren't able to host, but I'm not sure why Canadian teams are being left out. A Wild/Edmonton/Vancouver/Winnipeg Classic in any of those cities would be terrific. Heck, they could even have it on Lake Superior, making it a true Winter Classic.
                You aren't sure why the Canadian teams are being left out?
                Really?
                They're Canadian, that's why.
                "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                  You aren't sure why the Canadian teams are being left out?
                  Really?
                  They're Canadian, that's why.
                  Your comprehension skills are deplorable. I'll break this down for the learning-impaired. I feel the Canadian NHL teams deserve to be included in this event, and feel the NHL is being short-sighted for leaving them out.

Do you get it now, Rabib?
                  Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Your comprehension skills are deplorable. I'll break this down for the learning-impaired. I feel the Canadian NHL teams deserve to be included in this event, and feel the NHL is being short-sighted for leaving them out.

And as soon as you convince NBC, who actually runs this event, that they should show Canadian teams, they'll get right on that.

What, did you think the NHL was just choosing the same 7 teams that happen to be on NBC weekly by coincidence? There's a reason I went back to watching bowl games after about 2-3 years of these.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Great, you can feel they deserve to be in it all you want.
                      The NHL doesn't run this, NBC does, and NBC knows most American viewers don't give a rip about Canadian teams and won't watch games with them.
                      It's not like NBC shows Canadian teams on their regular broadcast so why would they for the Winter Classic.
                      Get it now *******?
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

My guess is next year happens in Detroit, Minnesota or Colorado. I would think Detroit would be the frontrunner, but who knows what will happen. Boston would certainly be a good matchup, and they have had some **** good games in recent years.

Comment

Not a Leafs fan, but it boggles the mind that they haven't at least been involved in one. They should be in the next one or the next Heritage Classic if that gets brought back.
                          Twitter: DanMountSports
                          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                            Not a Leafs fan, but it boggles the mind that they haven't at least been involved in one. They should be in the next one or the next Heritage Classic if that gets brought back.
                            The problem with the Heritage Classic is that only Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver have suitable stadiums. So there's a chance for one more in Vancouver and that's it.

As for the Winter Classic, it's NBC's "idea" so they call the shots (especially since they're paying $200 million a year). No Canadian teams and we'll be lucky to see Minnesota and Colorado (they have teams not in the Eastern time zone?). Detroit and Boston next year sounds right...
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

If the Bruins play Detroit in Detroit next year I will do everything in my power to attend.

Comment

Working...
                              X