Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Banished Words List

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    The way the Boomers talk it's going to be US committing that mass suicide. Apparently not wanting to work 80 hour weeks just to live in the bottom of a well means we want to bring Josef Stalin and Mao Zedong back from the dead and we're all going to burn in hell.

The only real negative stereotype I've heard about X-ers is slacker. They're "cool" and they put their own life first. A lot of Millennials look up to them (especially early ones like me who may have shared some of their memories.) I've never really heard of them getting the "entitlement" crap the Millennials got.

However, X-ers also get the dubious honor of dealing with Kurt "I Make Good Life Choices" Cobain as their spokesman.
    I think this is fairly on point.

As a cusp Boomer / Gen X'er, I gotta tell you it's all up to you Millenials. Nothing noble is going to come out of the two generations preceding you.

Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Lets ban the word "basketball"
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Lets ban the word "basketball"
        What would poor ESPN do then?
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          In the employee evaluation forms my employer has enacted from the lesser, disease ridden bank we bought about three years ago, "outside the box" is a term found under the Leadership description. I responded that I never knew we were confined to boxes, but preferred to look at it from the point of view of a dodecahedron. My boss didn't find my response funny either.
          I made a power point slide of the box I'm supposed to think outside of. One of the surfaces was "code minimum" one was "available technology" one was "occupant comfort", etc. I asked which side I could go outside of?

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
            I made a power point slide of the box I'm supposed to think outside of. One of the surfaces was "code minimum" one was "available technology" one was "occupant comfort", etc. I asked which side I could go outside of?
            Definitely "code minimum"
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Incredibly.
              Bugs Bunny - 96
              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

The word re-gather needs to be stricken from the record.
                Twitter: DanMountSports
                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Forward-thinking. Unless it's already been banned. Which it should have been.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

"Touch base"

And my all-time most hated phrase: "To each their own." Commonly followed by ", I guess." I refuse to believe it has ever been used in non-condescending fashion. The only time that thing gets pulled out is when one doesn't agree with another, and the one whose opinion was challenged pulls it out in an invariably dismissal tone. Commonly heard any time anyone has the audacity to state that Thelonious Monk sucks.
                    I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

While I'm here: "irregardless"

Then again, it's not even a word so I have no idea if it can even be banned. But to each their own, I guess.
                      I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          It is what it is.
                          I never realized people hated this so much.

How about the tendency to suffix "-gate" to the end of every minor scandal? I've especially noticed this annoying tendency for controversial actions/moments in sports - "Tigergate", "Clockgate", "Henrygate", "Fishgate", etc.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I never realized people hated this so much.

How about the tendency to suffix "-gate" to the end of every minor scandal? I've especially noticed this annoying tendency for controversial actions/moments in sports - "Tigergate", "Clockgate", "Henrygate", "Fishgate", etc.
                            One wonders how in the world the Watergate Hotel has kept it's name....

Although, what if we still used the Teapot Dome scandal? TigerDome, ClockPot, HentryTea.... It is what it is, irregardless. To each is own, I guess.

(my fingers quake at typing those words....)

Comment

"Epic" and "fail" were both on the list last year. They should be on the list again this year. It's the point that I don't think people under the age of 26 know the real meaning of the word "epic."
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                                One wonders how in the world the Watergate Hotel has kept it's name...
                                People stay in it just for the name. It's the best thing to ever happen to it. The "watergate" is just a swampy inlet that used to be a low density industrial dump.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X