LSSU Banished Words List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSSU Banished Words List

The annual Banished Words List has been released by Lake Superior State Univeristy. Simples words like "Amazing" as well as phrases like "baby bump" and "win the future" appear on the list. Thoughts? What else should be added?

Re: LSSU Banished Words List

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
    The annual Banished Words List has been released by Lake Superior State Univeristy. Simples words like "Amazing" as well as phrases like "baby bump" and "win the future" appear on the list. Thoughts? What else should be added?
    "Action" IS NOT A VERB. "We'll action that piece of business." No you will not.

"Abundance of caution." It is ALWAYS those three words used when they lock down a school because someone brought a butter knife in their lunchbox.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

The word "trickeration" is symbolic of something that happened in this country. People who used words like that used to be kept in the attic, fed scraps, and forbidden to breed. Now they are on TV.

I would add all of these words whenever used in a political speech.
      Last edited by Kepler; 12-30-2011, 11:52 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

my boss just sent me an email with "the new normal" in it.

here's an acronym that I find annoying: ty

you're so grateful you can't even type out "thank you" or "thanks"? I get this in IM and email all the time - not just texts. I also find "thx" annoying, but not nearly as much as "ty".
        Last edited by jen; 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Dude, I'd like to add the word "dude". My kids say it all the time. I'd also like to add the words "never" and "always". My kids say "always" and "never" all, er, quite requently as well. I "never" let them have friends over. I "always" make son #2 take the garbage out. I really hammer on them with never and always. I actually think I'm making some headway.

I don't think "amazing" is over-used, and I love the word "ginormous", which just typing the word puts a smile on my face.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Amazing should also contain Perez Hilton's infamous 'amazeballs'.

Comment

Being Proactive
              Twitter: DanMountSports
              2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

The word "baby"....

Blame Justin Bieber and Dickie V. on that one....
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Outside the box - people who use this phrase ought to be locked inside a box.
                  Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                    Amazing should also contain Perez Hilton's infamous 'amazeballs'.
                    I have a better idea...let's ban Perez Hilton.
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Id like to ban the phrase - "Its a Numbers Game" boss says it all the time and drives me insane
                      Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                      www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

The name "Millennial" for the current generation.

I HATE this name. It's already accumulated such a negative stereotype (the whole lazy/spoiled/entitled thing invariably has the word Millennial after it.)

Plus every other generation got cool names. The Silent Generation. The Boomers. Generation X. And now you have Millennials. It makes me feel singled out like I'm "special" (and not necessarily in a good way.) Makes us sound like a cult or a type of flower. (Which plays RIGHT INTO THE STEREOTYPE!)

Can we pick a different name?
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Fun Fact: The word trickeration started as a mis-speech by former Texas coach/ESPN analyst John Mackovic when he became apoplectic during a highlight package at the fact that Wisconsin had to resort to using a trick play against one of their usual high school-level non-conference opponents.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Shifting the paradigm
                            Twitter: DanMountSports
                            2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Let's have a dialogue on that.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                              X