Kindle Fire Users Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindle Fire Users Thread

I am going to guess that I was not alone in getting a Kindle Fire for Christmas. So far it seems pretty cool. Have read and posted to this site (not now, however) using it and have watched some clips from the ESPN site on it. I have downloaded some book previews (read a bit and get hooked, then buy) and had previously purchased some "free" books (using Kindle reader for PC) but yet to pull the trigger on actually using money to buy anything.

What apps (if any) seem worthwhile, knowing that memory is limited, so even the "free" ones really aren't free?

How are others going to use their KF?
    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Re: Kindle Fire Users Thread

I'm gonna watch this thread and weep a bit, since I have the last generation Kindle
    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Rumor has it that Apple will be lowering the IPad2 price to $199 when the iPad3 comes out.

I want a Pad war!!!
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Put me on the list as well. Right now it's an Angry Birds machine, because I haven't put much time into it.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Yay I'm part of the cool group!

The WSJ app is pretty cool, makes it easy to read on the treadmill and should come in handy for my upcoming plane trip. That assumes one has an online subscription though.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I gave my wife the Fire for Christmas and I don't think she's put it down since. Of course, she's only using it to read books thus far since she knows nothing about tablets or Android!
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
              I gave my wife the Fire for Christmas
              Are you planning on giving her antibiotics for New Years?

Comment

Really liking watching vintage (old) TV shows on the Fire using the one month Prime membership. That alone, may have me renewing for a year.

I watched a couple of episodes of The Wonder Years last night (really, early this morning). I will admit that Kevin and Winne graduated from High School about the same time as my wife and I (perhaps a year before us).

I think I got something (via email?) that would extends the Prime membership to two months. Anybody know, remember, use that offer?
                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

Does anyone use their Kindle Fire to keep track of their appointments using a calendar app?

If so, which calender apps are good? I am thinking I need to migrate from my (don't laugh) (2nd) Palm Z22 to something else.

Anybody pick up the new Kindle Fire?
                  2009 D-III TOP runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                    Does anyone use their Kindle Fire to keep track of their appointments using a calendar app?

If so, which calender apps are good? I am thinking I need to migrate from my (don't laugh) (2nd) Palm Z22 to something else.

Anybody pick up the new Kindle Fire?
                    I'm getting my wife a Kindle Fire this Christmas, and she's very interested in using it as an appointment calendar as well. I'll be watching for any responses you receive.
                    "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

I use it mainly for IHeartRadio, and books. The internet worked well when I tethered it to his phone when we made the MN to Houghton road trip (that is, when we had a signal). About the only thing I use it for currently is on NFL Sunday at the bar to keep up on stats/etc.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

bump
                        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

I bought the Fire HD a couple months ago. Overall, it's a decent device. I've had some issues getting apps loaded, but an email to Amazon and they help you with instructions. I've watched a couple movies through it, and the video playback is solid, though I'd only use it for that purpose on rare occasions. The speakers are a bit weak on it, so I'd recommend using either headphones (need Android/iPhone compatible jack plugs), or external speakers hooked up like the headphones. I did not buy the device with cellular connection as I'm only using it around the house. It responds quickly when initializing apps. The interface is designed to move you towards Amazon in order to generate more sales, so be cognizant of that when making a decision if it's something in which you're interested.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Thought I'd throw this in here since my Kindle is one device in my WiFi loop. I'm looking to replace a very old, slow wireless router with something significantly faster and with better range than my antique. Recommendations and accounts of good product experiences welcome and appreciated. Primary objective is smooth Netflix and web based video streaming, upper & lower level of home.
                            Last edited by brookyone; 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              Thought I'd throw this in here since my Kindle is one device in my WiFi loop. I'm looking to replace a very old, slow wireless router with something significantly faster and with better range than my antique. Recommendations and accounts of good product experiences welcome and appreciated. Primary objective is smooth Netflix and web based video streaming, upper & lower level of home.
                              I have a NetGear N600 and have been happy with it. The review says that you should be somewhat tech savvy in order to complete the setup. I wouldn't consider myself greatly savvy, but I'm no idiot when it comes to these things either.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381363,00.asp
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                              X