Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Elections Pt II: Bachmann Turned Me Into a Newt! A Newt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Elections Pt II: Bachmann Turned Me Into a Newt! A Newt?

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    I happen to be in Wichita, KS on business right now, and just yesterday evening I heard a radio ad for a local Ford dealership who was advertising along the lines of, "buy a vehicle built by American workers and not federal tax dollars."

That tells me that at least some people think that the auto bailouts are still unpopular with at least some portion of the country.
    Ford itself has tried to use the fact that they didn't take the bailout in commercials, and there was a big flap when they were told they couldn't.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I happen to be in Wichita, KS on business right now, and just yesterday evening I heard a radio ad for a local Ford dealership who was advertising along the lines of, "buy a vehicle built by American workers and not federal tax dollars."

That tells me that at least some people think that the auto bailouts are still unpopular with at least some portion of the country.
      It tells me that when people hear "American workers" they pound their chests and when they hear "gubbmint" they say, "That gol'durned gubbmint!," the same as they have for the last hundred years or more.

It has zero to do with policy. Just evergreen rhetorical cliches. White hat. Black hat.
      Last edited by Kepler; 02-15-2012, 04:57 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yes. It's called the competition.

Comment

I'd like to see them try that in the twin cities. Ford would lose sales faster than you can say 'government motors'...the average person here smells extreme positions a mile away.

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
          The bolded is what I'm concerned with. It seems to be an article of faith that the bailout is now pretty popular, enough so to negatively impact Romney's chances. I've said I'm unconvinced by that, given its high unpopularity at the time, and the fact that many of Obama's programs have not grown more popular with time, such as the health care bill or the stimulus.

So, really, it's just a question. Is there polling showing the bailout to be more popular now?
          I think its quite clear nobody has a poll.

But IMO its safe to say its a nonissue everywhere that's not solid red...and in Michigan, I wouldn't have wanted to have made a case to 'let Detroit go bankrupt'.
          Last edited by 5mn_Major; 02-15-2012, 06:18 PM.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
            Barack? Barbados? Beluga? Barrister? Banister? Bunny? Balls? Bereft? Bile? Bunt? Blubber? Blabber? Bladder? Bolder?
            Boner. /8-year-old humor
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              But IMO its safe to say its a nonissue everywhere that's not solid red...and in Michigan, I wouldn't have wanted to have made a case to 'let Detroit go bankrupt'.
              But I'd argue a non issue is great news for Romney. Just a few pages back in this thread, it was going to be a millstone around his neck. Now it's a non issue? I think he'll take that.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                But I'd argue a non issue is great news for Romney. Just a few pages back in this thread, it was going to be a millstone around his neck. Now it's a non issue? I think he'll take that.
                I could see that. Personally I think the auto bailout would be a rounding error in most states. Yet unless Santorum implodes, it should make a huge difference in MI.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  GM has retaken the top spot as best selling car maker in the world. Clearly somebody is buying their product.
                  Whatever product the public is buying, it's not the Volt.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

GM sells more cars in China than in the US, and many times what Ford does. They took a hit in the US over the "government motors" mess, but they don't really care in the big picture. Very little of their business, manufacturing or selling, is done here. Which is probably a good bet to make.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      GM sells more cars in China than in the US, and many times what Ford does. They took a hit in the US over the "government motors" mess, but they don't really care in the big picture. Very little of their business, manufacturing or selling, is done here. Which is probably a good bet to make.
                      But like all major corporations, the money they make in foreign countries will likely never see US soil. You still need to have a strong base in the home country where you're making money.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Whatever product the public is buying, it's not the Volt.
                        Because it's a sh*tty, completely non-functional vehicle. In a Minnesota winter, the thing would have something like a 10-mile radius because the heater would devour the charge. Electric cars simply aren't viable in northern climates. Not without another source of energy.

I thought for sure these would be the first step in the future of cars. Boy was I mistaken. Battery technology is about 20 years behind the concept of an electric car. Maybe more.
                        Code:

Comment

Working...
                        X