Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 Elections Pt II: Bachmann Turned Me Into a Newt! A Newt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 Elections Pt II: Bachmann Turned Me Into a Newt! A Newt?

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    One example: “A 1992 passage from the Ron Paul Political Report about the Los Angeles riots read, ‘Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for the blacks to pick up their welfare checks.’”
    What a comic (Chris Rock) would say? Racist jokes for 400 Alex.

Sounds like they are getting worried about Ron Paul. And yes we still have real discrimination in America. How about a question for Paul on civil rights and affirmative action? do we still need it? how long? etc...

http://www.statesman.com/business/ba...o-2046577.html
    According to the U.S. complaint, Countrywide charged more than 200,000 African American and Hispanic borrowers higher fees and interest rates than non-Hispanic white borrowers with a similar credit profile. The complaint says that these borrowers were charged higher fees and rates because of their race or national origin rather than any other objective criteria.

Bank of America agreed to pay $335 million to resolve allegations that its Countrywide unit engaged in a widespread pattern of discrimination against qualified African American and Hispanic borrowers on home loans.

Comment

Weird. Because when I got into college, they said that a black person who had a "similar education profile" would get in before me. Apparently that's NOT racism though...
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj1wcs7SZj0
        Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        That is a good point. And behind all four, the only kind of Republican who really matters...

*****http://www.amnesta.net/other/monopoly/MonopolyMan.jpg******
        This space for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Weird. Because when I got into college, they said that a black person who had a "similar education profile" would get in before me. Apparently that's NOT racism though...
          You can call it whatever you like. But it was to address and make reparations for prior racism and discrimination. It would be like Bank of America giving Blacks and Hispanics better housing loans than whites as penalty for prior discrimination in 2004-2007 period.

Personally I think it should be phased out, since it's a sore point for some people and a magnate for racist views. And after 40+ years it's probably done all it can to level the playing field and it's time to let it go.

A Temporary Measure to Level the Playing Field

Focusing in particular on education and jobs, affirmative action policies required that active measures be taken to ensure that blacks and other minorities enjoyed the same opportunities for promotions, salary increases, career advancement, school admissions, scholarships, and financial aid that had been the nearly exclusive province of whites

Comment

The better way to do what affirmative action was supposed to do would have been by wealth. Our biggest problem for a long time has been widening wealth inequality. Insofar as race and inequality were institutionally linked that was a problem, but now that racism is just linked with derp the law shouldn't be trying to fight that headwind. You can't fix derp.

It's never too later to address the real problem. "America will always do the right thing after exhausting all other possibilities." -- Churchill.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

seriously? you all are arguing about whether Ron Paul is a moonbat? that's been a done deal since his 1988 run.
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra View Post
                You can call it whatever you like. But it was to address and make reparations for prior racism and discrimination. It would be like Bank of America giving Blacks and Hispanics better housing loans than whites as penalty for prior discrimination in 2004-2007 period.

Personally I think it should be phased out, since it's a sore point for some people and a magnate for racist views. And after 40+ years it's probably done all it can to level the playing field and it's time to let it go.
                I don't feel strongly about the point. But something can be said for helping disadvantaged get on their feet (including from an economic standpoint). IMO job retraining is a valuable service. It happens that many minorities are disadvantaged.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

BTW, libertarians and other conservatives of conscience will love to know that Neocons and Theocons are finally accusing you of being traitors.

How's that coalition of convenience against the Dems goin' now, boys? Even after swallowing all those deficits they will stuck you on the Amurka Haters List the moment you didn't walk lockstep.

(Don't worry -- we're a big group and there's plenty of beer. Come on in.)
                  Last edited by Kepler; 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

BTW, libertarians and other conservatives of conscience will love to know that Neocons and Theocons are finally accusing you of being traitors.

How's that coalition of convenience against the Dems goin' now, boys? Even after swallowing all those deficits they will stuck you on the Amurka Haters List the moment you didn't walk lockstep.

Apart from your unique perspective, Rabinowitz does her usual excellent job in gutting this particular fish.
                    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      Apart from your unique perspective, Rabinowitz does her usual excellent job in gutting this particular fish.
                      What? (yes, I'm serious)

Comment

No thanks. Your group likes government a little too much and believes it is the answer to too many problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                          No thanks. Your group likes government a little too much and believes it is the answer to too many problems.
                          NRO's definition of Amurka's Enemies has expanded so much over the years that as a Venn Diagram it now includes the entire Universe except the intersection of all of NRO's special interests.
                          Cornell University

Comment

In the coming New Year, 2012, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address will occur on the same day.

This is an ironic juxtaposition of events.

One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to an insignificant
                            creature of little intelligence for prognostication.

The other involves a groundhog.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              In the coming New Year, 2012, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union address will occur on the same day.

This is an ironic juxtaposition of events.

One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to an insignificant
                              creature of little intelligence for prognostication.

The other involves a groundhog.
                              *****http://i41.tinypic.com/ngd15z.jpg******
                              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                              Groucho Marx
                              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                              Ron White
                              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                              Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                What? (yes, I'm serious)
                                There, there. I'm here to help you out. Which way did you come in?
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X