Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1931 West Virginia 8th grade graduation exam

Originally posted by UMDbulldogs#1 View Post
    Yes. But only if West Virginia was replaced with Wisconsin.
    According to ESPN Wisconsin is shaped like Minnesota.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
      According to ESPN Wisconsin is shaped like Minnesota.
      And this surprises you? Most people from the East think the US ends at the New Jersey turnpike.
      How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

There are sources that are worse.

*****http://i43.tinypic.com/103zr5c.jpg******
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

And this surprises you? Most people from the East think the US ends at the New Jersey turnpike.
          Hell, I'm not even from the east coast, and I think the WORLD ends on the New Jersey Turnpike.
          Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
          I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
          Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T...o/new-york.jpg

(language)
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...on/v/tests.pdf

You had to pass this test to go to high school. Think this batch of 8th graders could pass this? Could you?
              Ha, I don't think I could pass it without studying.

I noticed one question because it came up on a debate at a city council meeting few years ago and they (mostly lawyers) spent 20min+ over amending a bill. replacing "shall" with "will" .... at the end they decided to leave it as is. company (shall will) do xxx supposedly (will) forced company to do xxx while (shall) allowed options for the company.

So what is the correct usage: I (guess think) I (shall will) go.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra View Post
                Ha, I don't think I could pass it without studying.

I noticed one question because it came up on a debate at a city council meeting few years ago and they (mostly lawyers) spent 20min+ over amending a bill. replacing "shall" with "will" .... at the end they decided to leave it as is. company (shall will) do xxx supposedly (will) forced company to do xxx while (shall) allowed options for the company.

So what is the correct usage: I (guess think) I (shall will) go.
                I've always been told "shall" is the generally accepted usage to duty-bind someone to do something in a contract. "Will" is more used just to indicate something that is going to happen, but isn't duty-bound to any of the contractors. "This contract will terminate X days from now."

"May" is used to denote something being an allowable option. "Should" means you recommend it, but it's not required (most likely due to whatever it is being unable to be quantified.)
                Last edited by Twitch Boy; 12-07-2011, 01:25 AM.
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                  Hell, I'm not even from the east coast, and I think the WORLD ends on the New Jersey Turnpike.
                  We native New Jerseyites LOVE the Turnpike!! Over 100 miles of road with no speed limit!!

Just keep to the right and use your signal when changing lanes.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    We native New Jerseyites LOVE the Turnpike!! Over 100 miles of road with no speed limit!!

Just keep to the right and use your signal when changing lanes.
                    The Turnpike does allow one to get through NJ a lot faster.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      The Turnpike does allow one to get through NJ a lot faster.
                      So you can escape the garbage smell that much faster.
                      Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        I've always been told "shall" is the generally accepted usage to duty-bind someone to do something in a contract. "Will" is more used just to indicate something that is going to happen, but isn't duty-bound to any of the contractors. "This contract will terminate X days from now."

"May" is used to denote something being an allowable option. "Should" means you recommend it, but it's not required (most likely due to whatever it is being unable to be quantified.)
                        This is certainly the case in the aerospace industry. "Shall" indicates a contractually binding requirement which must be verified and documented (e.g. The refuel system SHALL refuel the plane in 10 minutes from empty to full). "Will" is simply a statement of intent or a goal/desire which may not be verifiable (e.g. The refuel system WILL be easy to use).

Within a requirements document, each SHALL is numbered so that it can be linked to its verification plans, procedures, and documentation, and so that lower-level requirements (e.g. in the requirements document for a pump) can be traced to higher-level requirements (for the fuel system). There's an entire sub-field within Systems Engineering just having to do with requirements management - a typical aircraft design program will have probably around 100 people who just track SHALLs for a living.
                        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                          Within a requirements document, each SHALL is numbered so that it can be linked to its verification plans, procedures, and documentation, and so that lower-level requirements (e.g. in the requirements document for a pump) can be traced to higher-level requirements (for the fuel system). There's an entire sub-field within Systems Engineering just having to do with requirements management - a typical aircraft design program will have probably around 100 people who just track SHALLs for a living.
                          God bless RTMs! Now for real excitement, tell us about BOEs!

(If you had told me at age ten I would be doing this for a living, I'd have shot myself.)

BTW, I'd love to see a SOW or Proposal with "may" in it. "We may do that... or... we may not." The way "mayness" is generally expressed in our industry is "The Contractor shall use industry best practices in selecting...," which basically means, "we'll let you figure it out as you go along, and that may or may not be the way we expect you to do it. If anything goes wrong, see you at the deposition."
                          Last edited by Kepler; 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            That's pretty funny.
                            How do they expect us to throw hotdogs at the gophers with that [Expletive deleted] net in front of us?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...

Original Penalty Box Member

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              Actually New York is wrong. There are two New Yorks. The New York City area (including Long Island) and "upstate" which is usually described as north of Yonkers.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It's true. Dutchess County is pretty much Canada.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X