Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99th Grey Cup Game

logo

The 99th annual Grey Cup Game is Sunday at BC Place in Vancouver. I have to think the hometown Lions will win over the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
    Attached Files
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Re: 99th Grey Cup Game

Interesting matchup. The Lions started the season 0-5 but went 11-2 to end the season and finished first in the West. They crushed Edmonton in the West final.

Winnipeg had a remarkable season after finishing 4-14 last year, winning the East on the final day of the year. They beat Hamilton 19-3 on a frozen field in Winnipeg in the East final.

Both teams have great defenses, and can score. BC is much more of a prototypical CFL team throwing a lot more than they run. Winnipeg won the East with a strong running game, and probably has a more balanced offense than the Lions. This game is in Vancouver and obviously the vast majority of the 54 K are going to be Lions fans. That's a considerable advantage for BC, especially under the dome, as that stadium gets really loud when there's a huge crowd. Winnipeg won both games between these two in the regular season, but both of those games were early in the year when the Lions were really struggling, so I wouldn't read too much into that. Given BC's ability to score on the big play, a slightly better kicking game, and the home field advantage I give the Lions the edge. I think it will be 28-24 Lions. Vegas has the Lions 7 point favourites.

BC QB Travis Lulay won the CFL's most outstanding player award and is a Montana State grad.

Winnipeg QB Buck Pierce is a former Lion himself and is a New Mexico State grad.

The last time a team hosted and won a Grey Cup was in 1994 when the Lions beat the Baltimore Stallions on a last second field goal. The Stallions eventually relocated to Montreal and became the Alouettes after the Brown's relocated to Baltimore.

This is Winnipeg's 24th trip to the Grey Cup, they've won 10 times. The Lions are making their 10th trip having won 5 times.
    Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
    2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

I love the CFL. Too bad CBC doesn't carry any games because that's where I'd watch it. Makes me wish I could get TSN.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Yeah - too bad some US network doesn't pick it up. They are usually more exciting than most Super Bowl games.

The Bombers will be motivated to win for their late coach Richard Harris.

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
          I love the CFL. Too bad CBC doesn't carry any games because that's where I'd watch it. Makes me wish I could get TSN.
          Here's a list of the stations that should be carrying the Grey Cup game in NY:

http://www.americaone.com/watch/your...&Submit=Submit
          Let's go Cats!!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Some bitter rivalries just never end.

(Joe) Kapp and (Angelo) Mosca, both 73-year-old gridiron geezers now, were involved in a bizarre bit of business this week, that at first sounded like some sort of staged production. Could Mosca, who enjoyed a pro wrestling career as a villain which grew from his reputation surrounding that one play in 1963, possibly have created the scene to promote his book Tell It To My Face?

But by all accounts, it was for real.

Kapp, the Lions quarterback of the era who refused to shake Mosca's hand after the 50th Grey Cup game, won by Hamilton 21-10, started the fracas by waving flowers in Mosca's face.

Mosca is said to have then hit Kapp with his cane.

Witnesses said Kapp then threw a hay-maker punch to Mosca's head which knocked him off his chair and back into the drapes behind the stage.

Then, he apparently kicked him on the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
              Here's a list of the stations that should be carrying the Grey Cup game in NY:

Thanks for that. Now if you can speed up Ottawa's return, you will be my hero.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Thanks for that. Now if you can speed up Ottawa's return, you will be my hero.
                I was just reading about that the other day. A group from there has been granted a conditional franchise dependent upon the reconstruction of Lansdowne Stadium. The south stands were condemned sometime ago, and the stadium is supposed to be rebuilt. If/when that happens Ottawa will get another team. There's a few other cities out east that have expressed interest in an expansion team, Moncton/Halifax/Quebec City, but no appropriate facility is the problem in all three cities.
                Let's go Cats!!!

Comment

I was just reading about that the other day. A group from there has been granted a conditional franchise dependent upon the reconstruction of Lansdowne Stadium. The south stands were condemned sometime ago, and the stadium is supposed to be rebuilt. If/when that happens Ottawa will get another team. There's a few other cities out east that have expressed interest in an expansion team, Moncton/Halifax/Quebec City, but no appropriate facility is the problem in all three cities.
                  I do remember that the CFL tried years ago to christen the Atlantic Schooners, but that fell apart. I would love to see Ottawa return because the wife is a CFL fan and she would go. Almost went to the Als and the Argos when I was at the Falls for our honeymoon, but we didn't want to drive through Toronto at night.

Comment

If you get ESPN3, they show a game or two a week, and I think they do playoffs/Grey Cup, too.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I do remember that the CFL tried years ago to christen the Atlantic Schooners, but that fell apart. I would love to see Ottawa return because the wife is a CFL fan and she would go. Almost went to the Als and the Argos when I was at the Falls for our honeymoon, but we didn't want to drive through Toronto at night.
                      Ya, there's been various efforts through the years to get a team somewhere in the Maritimes. Halifax has been talked about for years, however there isn't an appropriate stadium anywhere outside of the current CFL cities. There's people with plenty of money out there to run a team, and judging by the crowds that have shown up for the 2 games that have played there the last couple of years, plenty of fan support. However, no-one from the government to private ownership wants to build a stadium so without a place to play there's zero chance they will ever get a team. Quebec City remains a strong possibility as Laval University draws over 15 K (that's a huge crowd for Canadian University football) a game. Plus with the built in rivalry against Montreal it would be a huge draw there. The city and province have talked about building a stadium but who knows. Generally unless it's health care related, the great sucking maw of tax dollars, governments are reluctant to spend money on anything in this country.
                      Let's go Cats!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        If you get ESPN3, they show a game or two a week, and I think they do playoffs/Grey Cup, too.
                        Ya, that will work or if you go to this link it has a listing of all the stations by state that should be showing the game.

Let's go Cats!!!

Comment

In 1963 the Lions played in their first Grey Cup game against the Hamilton Tiger Cats. The Lions had a great RB named Willie Fleming and part way through that game he was knocked out by Hamilton's D-Lineman and resident goon Angelo Mosca, on what seemed like a late hit. This was a play I heard about ad nauseum from my dad, who hated the Tiger Cats and Mosca until the day he died. Anyways, there was a gathering of CFL alumni during this weeks Grey Cup festivities and Joe Kapp (yes that Joe Kapp), who was the Lions QB in that game, and Mosca got up on stage together. Apparently this ain't over yet:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog/...urn=cfl-wp2254
                          Let's go Cats!!!

Comment

Mountie, since you love the Ottawa Rough Riders I thought I'd post this link to the CFL's version of "The Catch". In my mind one of the greatest plays in CFL history and it's announced by the legendary Don Chevrier one of the greatest announcers ever.

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/football/topics/381-2201/

I have this game on tape. It's the last Grey Cup where all the points were scored by Canadian born players. Heck it might be the only game where all the points were scored by Canadian born players.
                            Let's go Cats!!!

Comment

Mountie, since you love the Ottawa Rough Riders I thought I'd post this link to the CFL's version of "The Catch". In my mind one of the greatest plays in CFL history and it's announced by the legendary Don Chevrier one of the greatest announcers ever.

http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/football/topics/381-2201/

I have this game on tape. It's the last Grey Cup where all the points were scored by Canadian born players. Heck it might be the only game where all the points were scored by Canadian born players.
                              That WAS a great game - unfortunately, the wrong Riders won it!

Tom Clements threw the pass - another western PA quarterback who had a pretty good career from Notre Dame to the CFL Hall of Fame. Seems to be doing a pretty good job with Aaron Rogers.
                              Last edited by SteveP; 11-27-2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X