Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitar question

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    I've been playing my guitar for about a month now... still working from note-based stuff as opposed to chords (finger stretching and gymnastics still have to be learned... I think I can play a D chord though... nice and easy... 2nd fret first string, 3rd 2nd, 2nd 3rd)... anyhow, some of these (easy) song books asks to play a E# (F-flat) at the high end of the G-clef. As far as I can tell, there is no tuning, string, fret combo which can play that E#. Any guitar players have insight on this? Am I wrong somehow? Curious. You'd think an easy song book would refrain from such craziness.
    The notes/steps on a guitar are A; Bb; B; C; Db; D; Eb; E; F; Gb; G; Ab and then you start back at A.

The flats are also the sharps of the notes to the left. So an A# is the same note as a Bb. An E# would actually be an F, etc...

The entire neck works this way and relations between/amongst chords are the same.

Once you understand these relationships, it's amazing how easy it is to find notes and chords and change keys etc. When you get to this point you'll be able to see just how many songs are essentially the same as each other.

Good luck and try to stick with it. It gets fun once you get past a certain point and it took me three different tries over about 7 years to get over that first hump.

Picked up Rocksmith (xBox) for my kid and it looks promising. Different from Guitar Hero as you actually plug a real guitar into the game and have to play real notes.

Comment

Kaki King, who Rolling Stones magazine named the first "Guitar Goddess" has a quick clip on CNN. I've never seen someone do this before; it's pretty impressive.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#...-kaki-king.cnn
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Kaki King, who Rolling Stones magazine named the first "Guitar Goddess" has a quick clip on CNN. I've never seen someone do this before; it's pretty impressive.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#...-kaki-king.cnn
        Richard Cheese on the sign!

But yeah, impressive. Dam good.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
        X