Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Guitar question

    I've been playing my guitar for about a month now... still working from note-based stuff as opposed to chords (finger stretching and gymnastics still have to be learned... I think I can play a D chord though... nice and easy... 2nd fret first string, 3rd 2nd, 2nd 3rd)... anyhow, some of these (easy) song books asks to play a E# (F-flat) at the high end of the G-clef. As far as I can tell, there is no tuning, string, fret combo which can play that E#. Any guitar players have insight on this? Am I wrong somehow? Curious. You'd think an easy song book would refrain from such craziness.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

    Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey


    NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

  • #2
    Re: Guitar question

    Anything by Hal Lenard publishing would be good. That is how I learned the basics of guitar.

    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/books...41718000000000
    Originally posted by Skeeterman
    Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
    "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

    "No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Guitar question

      Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
      Anything by Hal Lenard publishing would be good. That is how I learned the basics of guitar.

      http://www.musiciansfriend.com/books...41718000000000
      yeah... that might be worth a pick up... i have their easy book right now (volume 1 ) it just seems like it should be something that's obvious.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

      Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey


      NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Guitar question

        There is no E#/Fflat, just as there is no B#\Cflat.
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

        Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
          There is no E#/Fflat, just as there is no B#\Cflat.
          Yes, there is. All depends on the key.
          the state of hockey is good

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Guitar question

            Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Yes, there is. All depends on the key.
            My bad. I thought he was looking for notes, not chords. My best advice is to buy a Shubb capo and transpose to an easier key.
            Originally posted by mookie1995
            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

            Originally Posted by Dirty
            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
              My bad. I thought he was looking for notes, not chords. My best advice is to buy a Shubb capo and transpose to an easier key.
              Yeah. Those tones aren't common.

              As for guitar stuff, I am clueless. Wind/percussion guy here.
              the state of hockey is good

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Guitar question

                Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                There is no E#/Fflat, just as there is no B#\Cflat.
                I suspected something like that... its annoying that its in the songbook... I assume this is something particular to the instrument... flat/sharp is nothing more than a half-way point between the notes. For all I know they're just copying from piano scores or something common to all beginner texts.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

                Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey


                NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Guitar question

                  Use tab. See where the fingers go and stretch/strum
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Guitar question

                    Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Use tab. See where the fingers go and stretch/strum
                    Tablature (sp?) is the way to go. Took guitar class in college, had a teacher that was tone-perfect (I think that is the term: he could hear a phone ring and tell you what note/key it was ringing in). He said to use tabs, and then branch out from there. I gave the axe up after 3 years, didn't have the patience, but thanks to his teaching, I did teach myself a few songs just by listening and mimicing the notes until I got it right.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Guitar question

                      I've been trying to learn to play guitar and it's dang difficult, makes you appreciate the skills of the musician. I bought one of those beginner guitar books but it didn't make sense till I read some of the comments on this site. Basically it covered the same subject with clarity and verily. It talks about E# F/flat in the 1st lesson at zentao.com, I really liked the music theory lessons which was lot more detailed than the book.

                      Even with tabs I can't play crap, although I'm finally getting the hang of moving from chord to chord, need to get the strum and timing down which is another thing that looks easy but is a pain.

                      http://www.zentao.com/guitar/lesson1/index.html#Theory
                      (there's no such note as B# or Cb, likewise, E# or Fb. There is an exception to this but, that's way down the road!).
                      I thought Justin had some easy songs and lessons. "wipe out" looked fun and easy to play with all down strumming but I still can't play it. I hate guitar.
                      http://www.justinguitar.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Guitar question

                        Originally posted by Tundra View Post
                        I've been trying to learn to play guitar and it's dang difficult, makes you appreciate the skills of the musician. I bought one of those beginner guitar books but it didn't make sense till I read some of the comments on this site. Basically it covered the same subject with clarity and verily. It talks about E# F/flat in the 1st lesson at zentao.com, I really liked the music theory lessons which was lot more detailed than the book.

                        Even with tabs I can't play crap, although I'm finally getting the hang of moving from chord to chord, need to get the strum and timing down which is another thing that looks easy but is a pain.

                        http://www.zentao.com/guitar/lesson1/index.html#Theory


                        I thought Justin had some easy songs and lessons. "wipe out" looked fun and easy to play with all down strumming but I still can't play it. I hate guitar.
                        http://www.justinguitar.com/
                        I'm starting to get a hang of fingering the chords... the next step is to remember them by name and then trying to string them together... baby steps... gotten to the point where i can play simple songs note for note... some holiday stuff... not without goofing 80% of the time though. I'm enjoying it though.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

                        Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey


                        NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Guitar question

                          Hunt up a tab for the Beatle's Daytripper. Easy song to learn, perhaps not to execute well, but at least you can play something that remotely sounds like a song, when you get bored with just changing between chords.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Guitar question

                            E# / Fb ?! They're right, E# is the same thing as F-natural, and as the shirts say to paraphrase relativity: E = Fb. Now, you may see them marked as such, however the tones you hear from E# and Fb are different.

                            EDIT: Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOcryGEw1NY
                            This shows sheet music with playing along of the Chopin Waltz opus 64 number 2 (one of my favorites). There are plenty of examples of B# and E# (and for those not as inclined with reading notes on a staff, the x is a double sharp, so Fx will sound like G-natural). There are a couple of Fb instances, and will sound like E-natural. However, although E# and Fb do not have the same tone frequency, you will still see them on a staff.
                            Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Guitar question

                              Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              I'm starting to get a hang of fingering the chords... the next step is to remember them by name and then trying to string them together... baby steps... gotten to the point where i can play simple songs note for note... some holiday stuff... not without goofing 80% of the time though. I'm enjoying it though.
                              Check out Acoustic Guitar magazine. It's a monthly that has lessons, songs etc.
                              Originally posted by mookie1995
                              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

                              Originally Posted by Dirty
                              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X