This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandusky/Penn State scandal

Figure this probably needs its own thread instead of it re-appearing in the college football thread every so often.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ch-allegations

Oy.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Re: Sandusky/Penn State scandal

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    Figure this probably needs its own thread instead of it re-appearing in the college football thread every so often.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ch-allegations

Oy.
    As sleazy as these accusations are, I guess it's inevitable that Joe Pa or the reputation of the program will be affected. A couple of wire service stories have mentioned that Joe turned Sandusky in as soon as the allegations came to him. Even so, the stories said something like: "there's no indication Paterno followed up." I surely hope as this story unfolds, Paterno's reputation won't be damged.

And it's certainly one thing to have a perv ex-coach. It's entirely different to have your AD and campus police chief commit perjury (if they did) to cover up for him. Oy, indeed.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

if JoePa turned the guy in... then heard nothing about it. that doesn't absolve him.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        if JoePa turned the guy in... then heard nothing about it. that doesn't absolve him.
        Legally, it may have been enough. Ethically and morally is another question.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Why? Is Paterno a cop? Sandusky was no longer working for Penn St. as I understand it, so beyond reporting it up the chain of command, why is Paterno otherwise responsible? Because he's famous? And you're an iconoclastic putz?

Comment

Legally, it may have been enough. Ethically and morally is another question.
            Guy's got a 40+ plus year career as one of the most honest, ethical (not to mention the winningest) coaches in college football history. And you're willing to jump to an immediate conclusion that he did something wrong here? Why? Neither of us knows the facts. But I'm willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. Why aren't you?
            Last edited by Old Pio; 11-05-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Point taken. He could have followed up and been told by the now indicted person he reported it to that nothing came of the investigation.

Comment

Point taken. He could have followed up and been told by the now indicted person he reported it to that nothing came of the investigation.
                To me, the really extraordinary thing here is to have an AD and another top administrator charged with FELONIES. I mean extra benefits and honeys and grade "adjustments" are one thing. But FELONIES? Assuming it's true (major assumption) you'd have to conclude they were circling the wagons to protect the program. I don't think I'd put my butt on the line for a pedophile, unless he was my brother. And even then I'm doubtful.

If Paterno did something wrong here, then he deserves what he gets. It's just that everything we know about the guy argues against him knowingly doing something wrong. I admit, I really don't want his legacy tarnished. When I first read about it, I thought this is the kind of thing that could force Joe to retire. I surely hope not.
                Last edited by Old Pio; 11-05-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

This was ill advised...
                  http://creamery.psu.edu/products/food/sandusky-blitz

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                    Wow

Comment

I didn't want to be the one to start this thread. No way the AD survives this and not exactly the publicity you want when you're in the business of recruiting...young men. I know it's football related, but this is a huge black eye for the school and no matter what they say about it being isolated to Sandusky, the seed is already planted in the minds of parents everywhere.

Comment

Reading the details, I can't believe this didn't come out earlier and also can't believe how open/nonchalant Sandusky was about all this.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Reading the details, I can't believe this didn't come out earlier and also can't believe how open/nonchalant Sandusky was about all this.
                          The press accounts indicate some of these events were witnessed and reported. One by a graduate assistant, who brought his father along. You would have expected Sandusky to keep this behavior off campus. You're right, the press accounts seem to paint a picture of a guy who didn't care about exposure. Or at least didn't fear it. As I said earlier, the stink from this might be what causes Paterno to retire. To me, that would be a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            I didn't want to be the one to start this thread. No way the AD survives this and not exactly the publicity you want when you're in the business of recruiting...young men. I know it's football related, but this is a huge black eye for the school and no matter what they say about it being isolated to Sandusky, the seed is already planted in the minds of parents everywhere.
                            I'm sure you intended to say "it's NOT football related." But your observations are dead on. Questions will be asked. And innocent people(Joe Paterno?) will be hurt by people thinking "where there's smoke there's fire" how could the coach not have known?

Comment

I actually did mean "football related" in that it involved a football coach. All I meant by that is it can still have an impact on recruiting in other sports due to the black eye for the institution as a whole.

Comment

Working...
                              X