This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sandusky/Penn State scandal

Supposedly, the DA that disappeared in 2005 was investigating this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar
    Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
      Supposedly, the DA that disappeared in 2005 was investigating this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gricar
      Well, you'd have a different story if Paterno had the DA whacked, wouldn't you? I believe Occam's Razor needs to be applied here.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        CEO's don't have bosses. He may be the coach of the team, but he has a boss (who also has a boss).

ETA: If he asked his boss about the follow up and the guy assured him it was taken care of, again I ask, what should he do? Call the campus/local/state police and double check his boss?
        of course CEO's have bosses. duh. corporate CEOs, stockholders, investors, customers, clients, etc. and does anyone really think JoePa didn't run that football program? here's a few things he could have done : banned Sandusky from campus, taken away his on campus office, talked to the Second Mile people about what was going on, talked to the AD and University president about why they didn't go to the police, punched the guy out and cut his balls off.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
          of course CEO's have bosses. duh. corporate CEOs, stockholders, investors, customers, clients, etc. and does anyone really think JoePa didn't run that football program? here's a few things he could have done : banned Sandusky from campus, taken away his on campus office, talked to the Second Mile people about what was going on, talked to the AD and University president about why they didn't go to the police, punched the guy out and cut his balls off.
          I agree with the bolded and underlined. But did he have the authority to ban the guy? And even if he was that influential to some PERJURERS, and the PERJURERS said, "we'll ban him," do you think the PERJURERS would keep their word?

Again, let's wait and see.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            Well, the grand jury seems to agree: they've indicted two very high ranking university officials for perjury. I realize you're suggesting an even bigger coverup. We'll see. One thing that argues against Paterno knowingly covering up for Sandusky is, at the time Joe became aware of these charges, Sandusky had essentially been forced out, by Paterno. Joe had told him he wasn't going to be his successor and had helped to set up cushy retirements benefits for Sandusky. This is all referred to in the Grand Jury report. In other words, the professional and possibly personal relationship these two had had was over, thus diminishing the probability that Paterno was going to risk perjury charges to cover for him.
            First, I don't think that Paterno did anything illegal; he reported it as he was required to and I suspect that he had enough trust in the people he reported it to that they would properly handle the whole situation.

That said, I wonder if the AD and the VP wanted to cover-up the whole incident in an effort to protect the PSU program and Paterno's reputation because the alleged perpetrator was a long time assistant coach and trusted friend to Paterno. My question is: what, if any, role and knowledge did Paterno have with regards to any attempt to cover-up what happened.

The sad fact is that regardless of how things end up this will absolutely tarnish Paterno's reputation.

Comment

Paterno undoubtedly has more clout than most (all?) college football coaches. But, so did Bobby Knight, and he was outta there. Paterno occupies a prominent position in the state university system. So analogies to big business are not entirely on point. Again, the grand jury is satisfied Paterno did what the law requires of him. And several of the things you suggested HE should have done (not the surgery) were done. But by his superior, the AD. Sandusky had already been reported to Second Mile. You and the rest of the burning torches and rope crowd are so cock sure of what he should have done and what he didn't do. You just KNOW he did something wrong. How?

Comment

I read two different message boards regularly - this one, and a board for sports journalists. And the difference in tone between the two is staggering.

The other one basically asserts that Penn State in general should fry, starting with the GA for not immediately coming to the child's aid and going right through Paterno for basically not immediately personally going to the cops. Frankly, I don't agree with some of what they're saying but I had to make the observation of the difference.
                Originally posted by Jon
                You call everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                  First, I don't think that Paterno did anything illegal; he reported it as he was required to and I suspect that he had enough trust in the people he reported it to that they would properly handle the whole situation.

That said, I wonder if the AD and the VP wanted to cover-up the whole incident in an effort to protect the PSU program and Paterno's reputation because the alleged perpetrator was a long time assistant coach and trusted friend to Paterno. My question is: what, if any, role and knowledge did Paterno have with regards to any attempt to cover-up what happened.

The sad fact is that regardless of how things end up this will absolutely tarnish Paterno's reputation.
                  You could be right. Circling the wagons to protect their icon might have been in their minds. For sure. But personally, I would draw the line at perjury.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    My question is: what, if any, role and knowledge did Paterno have with regards to any attempt to cover-up what happened.

That is exactly my question, and why I'm hesitating to judge JoePa fully. Right now, he's in the clear, but that COULD change.

And also agree with the tarnishment.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by 3W View Post
                      I read two different message boards regularly - this one, and a board for sports journalists. And the difference in tone between the two is staggering.

The other one basically asserts that Penn State in general should fry, starting with the GA for not immediately coming to the child's aid and going right through Paterno for basically not immediately personally going to the cops. Frankly, I don't agree with some of what they're saying but I had to make the observation of the difference.
                      I ran into some of that same stuff in comments to an article in a Pennsylvania paper. Basically Queen of Hearts stuff. Or Duke LAX stuff. "Paterno should resign immediately." Why? I think you can attribute a lot of it to athletic rivalries. The rest to the Duke phenomenon.

Comment

Penn State's football program has always been odd under Paterno. how much does he make? why can't the players talk to the media? why can't the media attend practices?

this disgusting jerk Sandusky raped (and it is raped, not inappropriate sexual contact) young boys. he has ruined their lives. he's a dangerous predator. and Penn State and its officials and coaches protected him. like they never noticed him traveling to bowl games with these boys?
                        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Penn State's football program has always been odd under Paterno. how much does he make? why can't the players talk to the media? why can't the media attend practices?

this disgusting jerk Sandusky raped (and it is raped, not inappropriate sexual contact) young boys. he has ruined their lives. he's a dangerous predator. and Penn State and its officials and coaches protected him. like they never noticed him traveling to bowl games with these boys?
                          Ever read Theo Fleury's book? He goes into pretty sordid detail in fact and emotion about Graham James. These manipulators that abuse others are very crafty. They know who to pick, how to work the angles, etc etc etc. No one is excusing Sandusky (and most, I think, would love to have a few minutes to ahem, "have a word" with him), and no one is excusing the perjurers.

Everyone else that may or may not have "known" is up in the air right now. I'm just asking you (and others who are ready to burn JoePa) to wait and see what else there is before you make a decision. I understand your anger, I do. I'm just as angry about this situation. I'm just not ready to condemn an as-of-now innocent man.

Comment

if one of these boys were your son, what would you have wanted Paterno to do? wash his hands of it and carry on? what would you want done with Sandusky? have him continue to work with children? in a Penn State office? how about those upfront guys, the AD and the prez? think they should still be working for Penn State? and have Penn State paying for their attorneys? remember, these aren't some vague accusations or allegations, this is from a Grand Jury.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Comment

I couldn't read the Theo Fleury book. too awful.

I'm just sayin'. this whole thing is outrageous.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Comment

if one of these boys were your son, what would you have wanted Paterno to do? wash his hands of it and carry on? what would you want done with Sandusky? have him continue to work with children? in a Penn State office? how about those upfront guys, the AD and the prez? think they should still be working for Penn State? and have Penn State paying for their attorneys? remember, these aren't some vague accusations or allegations, this is from a Grand Jury.
                                The AD, etc, the ones who are the main culprits, they should be in jail. Sandusky? Can I have 10 minutes in a dark alley and no witnesses? The rest? I'd be mad about it, but would realize they did their jobs, did what they thought was the right thing to do, and that they trusted people they thought they could trust.

And no, PSU paying for attorneys doesn't bother me, as long as PSU is re-imbursed by the defendants if found guilty.

Comment

Working...
                                X