This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sandusky/Penn State scandal

I assumed Sandusky wasn't married, but at the end of page 14, it finally revealed he is/was. How the hell didn't she know this was going on? There's too much smoke.

Anyway, this just has the makings of a HUGE attempted cover up. I'm still amazed at how brazen Sandusky was about all this and it surprises me more people didn't come forward with suspiscions. Curley is done, but I even wonder about Spanier.

Hopefully Sandusky doesn't have any sexual related diseases for the sake of all the victims.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Was Sandusky a coach when the grad asst caught him Fing a 10 yr old in the shower? Joe Pa is done if so
      No. He retired in '99...happened after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Yeah. If I report something to my boss and he says, "OK, I'll take care of it" am I going to call the police to make sure my boss reported it? If I ask later and he says it's all taken care of, it was a misunderstanding, whatever, it's over as far as I'm concerned.
        Even if the law mandates that you contact the police?

Comment

Quite apart from Howard Baker's famous question: "what did he know and when did he know it." I am struck by the fact that some of these alleged incidents occurred on campus, in football facilities. Was Sandusky that confident he wouldn't been seen? And, if so, reported? Or was he desperate and being "controlled" by his little head? And even if he had some level of confidence that all those folks involved in PSU football would cover for him, isn't the first (or possibly second) instinct of a sexual abuser to avoid being seen? This just strikes me as so reckless.

While I believe various people have jumped to unwarranted conclusions about Paterno's culpability here (it's amazing how many of our posters are implying such complete knowledge of PA law on the subject. I didn't know we had so many lawyers licensed to practice in the Keystone state posting here) one wonders how nobody, including Paterno, knew, or suspected or heard. . .something. Especially given how apparantly brazen Sandusky was. It's not just a matter of being seen diddling a kid in the shower. It's a matter of bringing his new "favorite" around. Repeatedly.

As to Paterno, what we know now is that as soon as he learned that a former coach (and presumably friend) was accused, he turned him in to the two administrators. He evidently didn't call Sandusky to give him a heads up. And we're told that was the end of Joe's involvement, he didn't "follow up." And that, some folks suggest, is a "violation of the law" requiring child abuse to be reported. Well, maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. Evidently Paterno had no direct knowledge of the events: didn't witness them, and had no contact with the victim. It isn't like he was a school teacher who ignored a kid with bruises in his class. Try to put yourself in his shoes. Here's a guy he worked with closely for over 30 years who may have engaged in disgusting behavior with children. And Paterno's first instinct is to report it. At first blush, that doesn't strike me as somebody trying to cover up.

Pardon me for being so windy, again, but as I said yesterday I think Paterno has earned the benefit of the doubt here. 46 years as head coach, unprecedented success on the field and not a hint of any scandal during that time. PSU is one of only 4 D-1 football programs never to have been found in violation of NC$$ rules. In the fullness of time we'll find out what, if any, involvement Joe had. And what, if anything, he could or should have done about it. Until we learn more, is it too unreasonable to ask that we not plunge headlong into character assassination?
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Pio
            You of all people should know that no ones get the benefit of the doubt on the interweb.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
              I have a lot of doubt that Paterno knew he was required by law to report sexual abuse to the civil authorities, given his age and that he doesn't work with children.
              Originally posted by Jon
              You call everything.

Comment

I was listening to ESPN radio this morning and John Kincade was saying Joe Pa reported it to Campus police along with the AD. Kincade was whining that he should have reported it the State Police as it looks like he is trying to keep it in house by only reporting to campus police. I'd like to think Campus police would try to protect kids also
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Pio
                  You of all people should know that no ones get the benefit of the doubt on the interweb.
                  I just read the report (thanks, Hammer for posting it) and I learned a couple of things. Joe Paterno evidently testified before that grand jury and offered his version of events. They believed him. The report quotes the relevant parts of PA law, requiring a staff member to report probable abuse to a superior (as opposed to making the report directly to law enforcement), which Paterno did. And, in terms of the agencies appropriate for such a report, the PSU campus police are listed. The legal standing of various campus police agencies varies from the door knob turners at DU to armed guys with full police powers. And Paterno gave his report to Schultz, whose portfolio includes running the campus police. Based on my admittedly lay reading of the document, Paterno complied with the law. And did so immediately. I suppose you could argue he was under some "moral" obligation to follow up.

Some folks (not necessarily here) are suggesting "they're all in on it." That Paterno, Spanier and the two indicted officials were/are all actively involved in a cover up attempt. The fact that there's no evidence leading to that conclusion is of no concern. I know Graham Spanier a tiny bit from his days at Nebraska. He was widely admired at NU. He lost several family members in the Holocaust. And is regarded as a man of character and accomplishment. I find it hard to believe he would knowingly try to cover up or facilitate a perv.

The other thing I came away with is how apparantly textbook Sandusky's behavior was toward his victims. Cull them from the herd. Gradually increase the contact and the pressure 'till you get to the "promised land." Try to put yourself in these kid's shoes. Where they are from, there's nothing in the world bigger than PSU football. And here's a legendary coach, showering them with attention and gifts and access to the holy of holys: the locker rooms, players and football field. Any kid would be absolutely dazzled.

The last thing that struck me was, at the end, Sandusky evidently knew the "jig was up" and he, his wife and friends, were evidently trying to persuade "Victim 7" not to testify. This is a rancid, repulsive business. And anyone who knowingly covered for or facilitated Sandusky deserves what he gets. Anyone.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 11-06-2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I was listening to ESPN radio this morning and John Kincade was saying Joe Pa reported it to Campus police along with the AD. Kincade was whining that he should have reported it the State Police as it looks like he is trying to keep it in house by only reporting to campus police. I'd like to think Campus police would try to protect kids also
                    The grand jury report specifically mentions the PSU police as one of the appropriate agencies which could have received the report. The question of collusion is a conclusion to which some people have jumped, without a shred of evidence. Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Comment

Collusion as in a giant cover up? If so, yes, I'm absolutely jumping to that conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                        You know the penal code for every infraction in your jurisdiction? He and the AD reported it to campus police. What would you like him to do? Personally go to Harrisburg and report it to the state attorney general?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Collusion as in a giant cover up? If so, yes, I'm absolutely jumping to that conclusion.
                          Why? What prevents you from waiting 'til we know more before trashing a man's reputation?

Comment

You know the penal code for every infraction in your jurisdiction? He and the AD reported it to campus police. What would you like him to do? Personally go to Harrisburg and report it to the state attorney general?
                            Plus the grand jury report specifically says Paterno, as an employee, did exactly what the law requires: he reported the matter to his superiors, one of whom just happened to be the boss of the campus police department. The grand jury came to their conclusion after hearing Joe answer their questions under oath. He had no direct knowledge of these events nor any contact with the victim. And the perpetrator no longer worked for him or the university. I'm just not clear why these people expected Joe to go slap the cuffs on Sandusky personally. Seems to me he reported it immediately and complied with the law. A bunch of USCHO posters don't think so, the but the grand jury did.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                              Why? What prevents you from waiting 'til we know more before trashing a man's reputation?
                              Which man are you talking about? Paterno? If so, I didn't even say he was part of the cover up.

Comment

If they did in fact go to the campus police, I have no problem with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X