Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 College Football: Occupy GameDay!

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't think you can rip the NCAA yet (though I don't doubt that you'll be able to when it is all said and done), since the NCAA hasn't finished its investigation on Penn St. You can't expect the NCAA to hand out santions before concluding an investigation. It is a valid argument to rip Penn St. for not turning down the bowl game, like Miami did.
    Penn State's decision to donate their money kind of makes me wonder if perhaps the NCAA ought to add that as an option when they're giving out punishment.

"You're getting a two year bowl ban, unless you wish to go and donate your portion of the bowl $ in your conference to charity for those years."
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

I don't think you can rip the NCAA yet (though I don't doubt that you'll be able to when it is all said and done), since the NCAA hasn't finished its investigation on Penn St. You can't expect the NCAA to hand out santions before concluding an investigation. It is a valid argument to rip Penn St. for not turning down the bowl game, like Miami did.
      I'm not ripping the NCAA, I'm ripping all those who say that we can't punish PSU because it's not fair to the players because they didn't do anything wrong. That's like saying you can't send someone to jail for committing a crime because it's unfair to punish the children.

Comment

I still don't get why the NCAA would get involved in this PSU situation. Should Stanford have to forfeit their BCS bid or donate their earnings to MADD because they knowingly hired a guy with a DUI half a decade ago? I get that people want to be as punitive as possible, but it doesn't do any good when the punishments don't make any sense.
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
          I still don't get why the NCAA would get involved in this PSU situation. Should Stanford have to forfeit their BCS bid or donate their earnings to MADD because they knowingly hired a guy with a DUI half a decade ago? I get that people want to be as punitive as possible, but it doesn't do any good when the punishments don't make any sense.
          Four words: Lack of Institutional Control.

The university and athletic administration covered up allegations of activity that was taking place on campus grounds and by a person with strong ties to the university. It isn't about what Sandusky has allegedly done, but the actions (or in this case, inactions) of the university when the information was brought to their attention. If you can't trust that a university will do the proper thing in this case, how can you believe that they will adhere to all required NCAA bylaws?
          Last edited by Almington; 12-02-2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
            Four words: Lack of Institutional Control.

The university and athletic administration covered up allegations of activity that was taking place on campus grounds and by a person with strong ties to the university. It isn't about what Sandusky has allegedly done, but the actions (or in this case, inactions) of the university when the information was brought to their attention. If you can't trust that a university will do the proper thing in this case, how can you believe that they will adhere to all required NCAA bylaws?
            But what By-Law was violated? Unless there is a By-Law violation, the NCAA can't claim jurisdiction.

Granted this is a lot more serious than tattoos or fast cars, but there are specific By-Laws dealing with that.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That's the problem right there. Someone else, maybe on another board, maybe here, made this comment: The NCAA investigating this is like a homeowner's association investigating a triple homicide. Unless there's an NCAA regulation stating that it's against the rules to [self redacted] little boys, this is probably out of their jurisdiction.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                But what By-Law was violated? Unless there is a By-Law violation, the NCAA can't claim jurisdiction.

Granted this is a lot more serious than tattoos or fast cars, but there are specific By-Laws dealing with that.
                Four words: Lack of Institutional Control

In a letter dated Thursday [Nov. 19th], NCAA President Mark Emmert wrote that the NCAA will “examine Penn State’s exercise of institutional control over its intercollegiate athletics program, as well as the actions, and inactions, of relevant responsible personnel.”
                This is the NCAA, jurisdiction means nothing to them and they can just make up the bylaws they need on the fly. If PSU doesn't like it they can leave for the NAIA whenever they want to.
                Last edited by Almington; 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM.

Comment

True, it is bit of a self punishment there, so they might get lucky and the NCAA might take that into consideration when they're handing down the punishments.
                  This is the NCAA, jurisdiction means nothing to them and they can just make up the bylaws they need on the fly. If PSU doesn't like it they can leave for the NAIA whenever they want to.
                  Right, I mean, hell, we are talking about the organization who now gets to decided what nicknames are hostile and abusive.
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Originally posted by Almington View Post
                    I'm not ripping the NCAA, I'm ripping all those who say that we can't punish PSU because it's not fair to the players because they didn't do anything wrong. That's like saying you can't send someone to jail for committing a crime because it's unfair to punish the children.
                    These players have put in thousands of hours of work to be the best and compete at the highest level of football. They have no control over any of the things that happened, therefore they don't deserve any punishment.
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                      These players have put in thousands of hours of work to be the best and compete at the highest level of football. They have no control over any of the things that happened, therefore they don't deserve any punishment.
                      Why does it matter how hard the players worked? When why are the USC players being punished? Did the USC players not work hard enough? Did they not put in thousands of hours? None of the current USC players have done anything wrong yet they are not allowed to play in either the Pac-12 title game or a bowl game?

The violations were committed by the institution of Penn State and as such the institution of Penn State needs to be punished. Regardless of what happens with the bowl money, PSU still gets an advantage from playing in the bowl and the punishment is taking away those advantages. It's unfortunate that the player may suffer for the actions of others, but maybe the administrators should have considered that when they decided to do nothing 10 years ago.
                      Last edited by Almington; 12-02-2011, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Why does it matter how hard the players worked? When why are the USC players being punished? Did the USC players not work hard enough? Did they not put in thousands of hours? None of the current USC players have done anything wrong yet they are not allowed to play in either the Pac-12 title game or a bowl game?

The violations were committed by the institution of Penn State and as such the institution of Penn State needs to be punished. Regardless of what happens with the bowl money, PSU still gets an advantage from playing in the bowl and the punishment is taking away those advantages. It's unfortunate that the player may suffer for the actions of others, but maybe the administrators should have considered that when they decided to do nothing 10 years ago.
                        Exactly so.

PSU should get nailed to the wall. Let the current players sue the malefactors for engaging in a criminal conspiracy which compromised their potential earnings as future professionals. This may not (probably won't) work, but PSU shouldn't be allowed to hide behind its players.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well, Oregon wins the Pac, but only 49-31. Moral victory for UCLA maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            I'm convinced that the turnovers that cost us 2 games for sure and maybe 3 weren't anomalous Acts of God, but were by-products of ND's season-long sin of ad hoc decision-making and loose (in the sense of undisciplined) execution.
                            Note that after the first two games, ND had zero turnovers from anyone other than the QB.
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                            Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                              That's the problem right there. Someone else, maybe on another board, maybe here, made this comment: The NCAA investigating this is like a homeowner's association investigating a triple homicide. Unless there's an NCAA regulation stating that it's against the rules to [self redacted] little boys, this is probably out of their jurisdiction.
                              That metaphor works only if people want the NCAA looking into the child rape...that isnt what most people are advocating. The NCAA is investigating whether the culture at Penn State is corrupt not the crimes that happened. The school was covering up a decade's worth of crimes...the covering up and the actions of the leaders of the school including the President and AD are within the purview of the NCAA. That school should be taken down hard.

What sucks is at OSU they basically admitted they had no institutional control (the stupid comments by Gordon Gee) and they are going to skate on it.

And I dont care how much the players deserve to be in the bowl game, so do USC's and they are staying home. As of now USC's school and players have been completely screwed over (as more schools get caught doing crap and nothing happens) so I feel zero sympathy for the Penn State players.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Why would Syracuse go to the ACC when they can't even become bowl eligible in the Big Least? At least Duke will get one conference win a year in football.
                                Twitter: DanMountSports
                                2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Working...
                                X