X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swansong
    replied
    Re: TRP: Changing Conferences Since 1999

Even if I'm doing nothing wrong (which is usually the case... usually), under no circumstances will I allow a police officer to search my car. Probable cause gives an officer a lot of leeway, but should they find anything (they won't), I'd challenge (and likely win) anything they find if their probable cause consisted of "uhhh, I smelled pot or something".

I have a ton of respect for the police, but there's no way I'm waiving my 4th Amendment rights because a cop is bored.

Leave a comment:

• Dude Love
    replied

I got pulled over for tailgating last September. C'mon, Deputy Fife...aren't there a couple unsolved murder cases you could work on?

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    Drunk and disorderly on the light rail?
    I have a monthly unlimited mass transit pass, usually ride the bus, but took the train that day. I forgot to validate the pass that morning, but it was paid up through the next two months. The officer threatened to give me a ticket for fare evation. I told him what I thought about that in a polite, direct way, mentioning that my fare was paid well in advance, and this went back and forth a bit. Eventually he walked away, because he knew I was in the right, but I think he wanted to show off for the two DHS agents that were making the rounds with him that morning.

That day, when I got into work, I looked up my state legislator's email address, taking the officer's word that not validating my fare constituted fare evasion, even though I had clearly paid already, and asked him to address having the law altered. My state rep took it to Metro Transit Police, and eventually I got an email from Capt. Levine telling me that he'd have some words with the officer, effectively telling him to stop harassing Metro Transit patrons, but then also asked that I validate my pass each time I ride the train. I could forward you the email exchange, if you'd like. I posted a redacted version on here back in December 2010.

Leave a comment:

• goldy_331
    replied

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    Snatching smart phones - it's the new, hot thing to do in town on the LRT.

Leave a comment:

• jmh
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    I've have a small number of brushes with law enforcement over the years (11 or 12), mostly just traffic stops, but a couple other stupid teenager things and an incident on the light rail about 16 months ago, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X