X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TRP: Changing Conferences Since 1999

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    Why would you learn the order of operations when you're still learning basic addition and subtraction. I learned PEMDAS in 5th or 6th grade...when we started pre-algebra.
    Private school, and I liked math enough to learn some of it outside of school.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
      Why would you learn the order of operations when you're still learning basic addition and subtraction. I learned PEMDAS in 5th or 6th grade...when we started pre-algebra.
      I'm almost positive we learned it in third.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

What is the order of operations? Never heard of it before. And yes, I'm being serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          What is the order of operations? Never heard of it before. And yes, I'm being serious.
          In order of which to do first:
          Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            Private school, and I liked math enough to learn some of it outside of school.
            Where do you think I went?
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I don't remember when I learned it, but it wasn't 1st and 2nd grade....and I'm pretty sure not 3rd. I'm thinking 4th or 5th. And Brent, lets not critique my supposed lack of math skills until we master differential equations, mmmmkay.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                I don't remember when I learned it, but it wasn't 1st and 2nd grade....and I'm pretty sure not 3rd. I'm thinking 4th or 5th. And Brent, lets not critique my supposed lack of math skills until we master differential equations, mmmmkay.
                Not saying you are not smarter in math NOW. Just implying you learned it later than I did in life.

And MNS: a crappy private school?
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Not saying you are not smarter in math NOW. Just implying you learned it later than I did in life.
                  Pretty sure I didn't...
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I was thinking the same thing.
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      In order of which to do first:
                      Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.
                      I'm not being clear I guess. What is "the order of operations" and what does it do, how do you even know to use it, etc? You were not condescending in your answer to me - you were trying to explain it - and I'm trying not to be a ***** to you but I still have no clue what any of you are talking about. I feel like you're all assuming knowledge on my part that I don't have. I have no idea what the order of operations is and how it's supposed to be applied to an equations like that. I saw this:

5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 + 5 - 5 + 5 x 0

So I did this:

5 plus 5 equals 10, plus 5 equals 15, minus 5 = 10, plus 5 equals 15, plus 5 equals 20, minus 5 equals 15, plus 5 equals 20, times 0 = 0.

Why is that not how you're supposed to read it?

Comment

I'm not being clear I guess. What is "the order of operations" and what does it do, how do you even know to use it, etc? You were not condescending in your answer to me - you were trying to explain it - and I'm trying not to be a ***** to you but I still have no clue what any of you are talking about. I feel like you're all assuming knowledge on my part that I don't have. I have no idea what the order of operations is and how it's supposed to be applied to an equations like that. I saw this:

So I did this:

5 plus 5 equals 10, plus 5 equals 15, minus 5 = 10, plus 5 equals 15, plus 5 equals 20, minus 5 equals 15, plus 5 equals 20, times 0 = 0.

Do the multiplication first:
                        1. Parentheses
                        2. Exponents
                        3. Multiplication
                        4. Division
                        5. Addition
                        6. Subtraction.
                        Code:

Comment

So I did this:

Since Multiplication comes before Addition and Subtraction in the order of operations, you have to do the multiplication operation first. So only the single 5 is multiplied by the 0.

Math isn't done from left to right like reading, you have to work through function in a certain order, and that order is determined by this order of operations we're talking about.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Since Multiplication comes before Addition and Subtraction in the order of operations, you have to do the multiplication operation first. So only the single 5 is multiplied by the 0.

Math isn't done from left to right like reading, you have to work through function in a certain order, and that order is determined by this order of operations we're talking about.
                            Now THIS is the type of answer I was looking for. I still don't get how you apply that order of operations to that equation (since some of you have parentheses in your version of problem solving and parentheses is first but you just told me to use multiplication first) but it's more clear than it was.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Do the multiplication first:
                              1. Parentheses
                              2. Exponents
                              3. Multiplication
                              4. Division
                              5. Addition
                              6. Subtraction.
                              Specifically:

1. The problem has no parentheses, so that step is done.
                              2. The problem has no exponents, so that step is done.
                              3. Multiply 5 x 0 => 0.
                              4. The problem has no division, so that step is done.
                              5. Add 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 0 (from step 3) => 25.
                              6. Subtract 25 - 5 => 20, then 20 - 5 => 15.

Once you know those six steps, you can rearrange the problem to make it easier visually. In this case, we grouped the addition and subtraction together, and the multiplication got moved further off to one side.
                              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                                Specifically:

1. The problem has no parentheses, so that step is done.
                                2. The problem has no exponents, so that step is done.
                                3. Multiply 5 x 0 => 0.
                                4. The problem has no division, so that step is done.
                                5. Add 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 0 (from step 3) => 25.
                                6. Subtract 25 - 5 => 20, then 20 - 5 => 15.

Once you know those six steps, you can rearrange the problem to make it easier visually. In this case, we grouped the addition and subtraction together, and the multiplication got moved further off to one side.
                                5^(((5+5+5+5+5)/5)-5)=?
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X